Author Topic: Remapping the mk6 GTI  (Read 41837 times)

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
Re: Remapping the mk6 GTI
« Reply #120 on: 16 August 2009, 12:05 »
wow TT your amazing  :shocked:  :laugh:

you just own everyone lol! epic.

Dan

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #121 on: 16 August 2009, 12:25 »
I think there's a usable limit to a front wheel drive car, my car's gone off today, REVO are hoping for some decent gains so we'll see what the end of the week brings.

Very true. IMO the MK5 chassis can just about handle it so the MK6 should be more than up to the job of more power through the front.

But the Mk6 GTI IS the Mk5 chassis!  :tongue:

mk6 chassis has XDS, mk5 chassis does not.
XDS isnt worth it, aftermarket suspention mods will do a better job for far less money.

Regardless if thats true or not, thats not the point I was making. The 5 and 6 chassis is not the same.

Sorry, but you have been listening to way too much BS from the VW salesmen - because the chassis ARE identical!

I think your getting mixed up with XDS diff and ACC.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-gti-vi/explore/experience/safety/xds-(gti-only) - (added format tweak to link!)

Note the part where it clearly tells you its only added to the new gti. They are clearly talking about the car's chassis and its clearly not the same as the mk5.

Oh FFS - READ MY SIG!!!!  I'm an independent technician (and a highly qualified and very highly regarded one too) - and NOT some fcuking marketing consultant paid to dress up a turd.

If you are adamant you think you know better, I suggest you read 'Hilliers Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology' a formal academic textbook approved for all UK colleges and universities, including the UKs leading Automotive Engineering unis.  And - based on what is taken as long-established FACTS, the Golf 6 and Golf 5 CHASSIS are identical.  This is backed up by data from ETKA - Volkswagen Groups official parts catalogue.

Next, for the record, it was NOT me who confused XDS with ACC - read back through the thread, and don't try mis-quoting me!!!  :rolleyes:

Onto the nitty-gritty.  Yes, the Golf 6 GTI does have ACC and XDS (optional or standard is a moot point), which were NOT available on the GTI - but both these have absolutely jack schit to do with 'chassis'.  So I'll state again, from my very learned point of view, which is backed up by every athoritative source - the 'chassis' on the Mk5 and Mk6 are IDENTICAL - end of!!!!  :rolleyes:

Onto the specifics - ACC is simply an electronic add-on to an otherwise identical Mk5 suspension, with the only real hardware difference being the dampers (aka shock absorbers).  Instead of having just normal suspension oil in them, they have a magnetic-type oil, which basically has iron filings in the oil - these respond to electric currents, which makes the fluid change its viscosity, and therefore its damping rate.  In all other respects, the Mk6 suspension is identical to the Mk5 !!!!

And the XDS - this is NOT, as VWs website claims, a 'differential lock' - but is simply an extention to the software code of the ESP unit.  The actual mechanical differential is just a conventional old skool 'open differential'.  If you actually read page 12 of the printed GTI brochure (which is a legally representational document, unlike completely unregulated websites) - it clearly states that XDS is just an ESP 'tweak'.  It is NOT some fancy real LSD like Audi use in the new B8 S4.  :nerd: :smug:

Get over it, or am I pi$$ing into the wind!  :rolleyes:

Your a technician yet you thought, and I quote 'Yes, the Mk6 can have the XDS, but this is an expensive £700 option'

:laugh: :laugh:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #122 on: 16 August 2009, 14:10 »
I think there's a usable limit to a front wheel drive car, my car's gone off today, REVO are hoping for some decent gains so we'll see what the end of the week brings.

Very true. IMO the MK5 chassis can just about handle it so the MK6 should be more than up to the job of more power through the front.

As has been pointed out, XDS (or ACC even) is not a function of the chassis.  XDS is an evolution of the EDL system thats on the mk5 (so there is an argument that XDS in one form DID exist on the mk5  :wink:).  All it is is a tweak to the ESP programming, no extra hardware there.  ACC is a different type of shock absorber with the associated control systems and is categorically not part of the 'chassis'.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #123 on: 16 August 2009, 14:31 »

As has been pointed out, XDS (or ACC even) is not a function of the chassis.  XDS is an evolution of the EDL system thats on the mk5 (so there is an argument that XDS in one form DID exist on the mk5  :wink:).  All it is is a tweak to the ESP programming, no extra hardware there.  ACC is a different type of shock absorber with the associated control systems and is categorically not part of the 'chassis'.

Thanks for clearing that up.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #124 on: 17 August 2009, 21:16 »
told T-T was winning, at least  on the chassis thing  :grin:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #125 on: 17 August 2009, 21:35 »
told T-T was winning, at least  on the chassis thing  :grin:

Where you been, you missed all the good bits. :grin: