Author Topic: Sills  (Read 3762 times)

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
Sills
« on: 14 July 2003, 13:31 »
Has anyone had any experience of corrosion on mk3 gti sills. Noticed the black plastic trim covering the sills was lumpy in parts and when I pushed it in it was either dried dirt or rust.....I'm hoping it was the first option. Havent had a chance to take the trim off yet and was just interested to know of any similar probs. The car is a mint '97 P 8v and i would hope it is not corroding but as the trim makes a perfect place for 6 years worth of driving it may be. Thats tonights job then!

Offline albo

• Not said much yet
Re:Sills
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2003, 15:42 »
The same has happened on mine.  They just clip on though and you can get replacements for (I think) about ?17 from VW.

I Haven't got around to it yet though.

Albo

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2003, 15:51 »
Albo, excuse my ignorance but do you mean that you have got rusty sills or knackered plastic trim  (or both)? The plastic trims are not damaged noticeably and I notice that there are screws on the underside to take it off. No doubt the plastic will be all brittle and break off though!! Will let you know how I get on

Offline Mk3 16v Anniversary

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2003, 22:15 »
I noticed smaLL amount of rust on my sills the other day.  It's in the same place on both sides, in the centre of the sill top edge just under where the two ends of the door seal rubber meet.  I think this is quite a common place for them to go.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Offline jontom

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2003, 12:29 »
Do you mean there is metal inside the plastic strip? so it's not the car rotting?

Offline Mk3 16v Anniversary

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2003, 12:34 »
My sills have started to corrode under the door seal rubbers and not under the protective trim which covers them.  You'll need to gently lift the rubber where the two ends meet to see if yours has the same problem.

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2003, 13:06 »
Same question as jontom, so is it the actual trim that is likely to be corroding? Just need to find the time to actually take the trim off and then i will know!!

Offline albo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2003, 13:09 »
On mine it is just the trim as you say that is corroding.  The plastic trim has a maleable metal strip running through it which corrodes, bubbling the paint/plastic finish.  The bodywork underneath is fine, and you can just replace the trim, which simply clips on.

Albo

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2003, 13:30 »
Cheers albo, hopefully the same will be true on mine. I was a little surprised when I thought that it could be the sills corroding.

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2003, 22:43 »
The plastic trim cover which is below the doors has a metal strip running inside it so that the plastic keeps its shape, this metal rusts and bubbles up making the plastic bubble up, when you push the sill your pushing the metal thats inside the strip and not the car, As golfVR6 said above you can by them from a dealer for peanuts and its an easy job to unclip the old and clip in the new