Author Topic: Opinions on the colour silver  (Read 2535 times)

Offline carl1

• I live here
Opinions on the colour silver
« on: 27 May 2009, 07:48 »
Im considering buying a gti in silver, i normally go for black cars but thinking i need a change of colour and i wont have as much time to clean etc as my first child on the way so im thinking silver 5door manual. Come the time when i move on Will the colour affect resale value? Will i sell it as easy? It is a standard car plus paint but mk6 gti's come with what i ordered on a mk5 gti which are center armrest,rear tints, multi function steering wheel with highline and ipod connection. Any advise im going mad :laugh:
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
Re: Opinions on the colour silver
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2009, 09:15 »
From a practical point of view, silver is great for hiding dirt but is a nighmare to match paint (should it ever need it).

My personal view is that silver is dull as dish water and rarely looks show worthy standard after a good polish.  Yes, for example, green golfs suffer on the resale value but I'd far rather have a colour I like than buy a car considering the resale.

IMHO, buy the colour that you want and forget the resale.

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2009, 10:11 »
I looked at Reflex Silver 5 door on Monday and it looked spot on. It looked classy as well as sporty. The grill set the front off nice, the 18" Monza Shadows looked smart against the Silver and the tailpipes on the rear looked good on the Silver car. The trouble with the Black cars is the plastics in the front and rear get a bit lost if you know what I mean.... 
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2009, 12:19 »
My 2009 Eos - which I have just sold - was in Reflex Silver and was great to look at and keep clean. However, I have ordered carbon grey for my GTI, as the ones I have seen in silver (on the web) looked really very ordinary and unsporty. Also, carbon grey is unique to the GTI, which is quite nice. I have had 3 black cars and they all looked stunning... when clean, which, of course, they hardly ever are, especially in the winter.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2009, 13:34 »
Saw a 5 door silver the other day, with full leather.

Was really nice.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2009, 05:37 »
There's a 5 door silver in my local dealer. Looks a bit plain with the 17 inch wheels but I think some Shadow Monzas would add a touch of class. Very safe colour and one of the easiest to sell on again.
The front looks good on the silver but the back rather plain IMO. But I don't like the rear lights on the mk5.5 anyway. The Worthersee version had nice rear lights IIRC, maybe these will become available on the next facelift?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2009, 08:18 »
I agree with Exonian: there's nothing really wrong with silver - it looks good on just about any car - it's just a bit plain. More TDI than GTI, IMHO :)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2009, 17:49 »
Silver is one of the 2 original GTI colours (1976 MY: Senegal Red & Diamond Silver were the only available colours). Its one of the reasons i think i like silver on the GTIs, But im not sure how well the shade of silver on the mk6 GTI works. Sometimes i like it sometimes i don't but i find it more intersting than the boring John Mager grays, but colour is a very personal think and these are just my views. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 30 May 2009, 17:56 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.