Author Topic: Insurance on Golf Gti Mk5 17yr old need help plz  (Read 21487 times)

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
Re: Insurance on Golf Gti Mk5 17yr old need help plz
« Reply #50 on: 08 July 2009, 17:27 »
3 years I've been behind the drivers seat.

3 years is plenty of time to learn that bit of craft... you'll know infinitely more than a hormone-fueled 17 year old with 200bhp under his right foot.

Of course, I'm judging others on my once poor driving - and crashing - standards!  :embarassed:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #51 on: 03 August 2009, 01:33 »
I didnt get my own car til i was 21 and it was a 1.2 Nissan Micra. It doesnt make much sense to get your own car at 17 or 18 imo, the insurance is just stupidly high it's such a waste of money. But to even think of getting a GTI at 17 or 18 just shows immaturity and a complete lack of understanding about road safety, insurance and life in general.
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #52 on: 03 August 2009, 09:17 »
You say that but if I was 17 and had minted parents who spoiled me / won the lottery / had loads of money for whatever reason I would do it . . . . . . .

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 03 August 2009, 09:41 »
You say that but if I was 17 and had minted parents who spoiled me / won the lottery / had loads of money for whatever reason I would do it . . . . . . .

Exactly

I didnt get my own car til i was 21 and it was a 1.2 Nissan Micra. It doesnt make much sense to get your own car at 17 or 18 imo, the insurance is just stupidly high it's such a waste of money. But to even think of getting a GTI at 17 or 18 just shows immaturity and a complete lack of understanding about road safety, insurance and life in general.

Good for you :afro:

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #54 on: 03 August 2009, 16:17 »

Well you could try. It would still be a stupid waste of money imo if you did manage to get someone to insure you. Better to invest in some patience.
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #55 on: 03 August 2009, 16:19 »
Yeah, but think of all the fanny you would get at 17 in a MK5 GTI lol :D :D :D

Offline DoogalDoogz

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #56 on: 03 August 2009, 18:10 »
Theres alot of people in this thread that seem to be paying silly money for their insurance. Ive got a 1.3 mk2 and the cheapest qoute ive had was £560 with my mudda as main driver (going to have to change my log book so i aint fronting). Once ive passed my test I aint looking to pay anything over £800 quid, I could try classic insurance but it has to be 20 years old (its 19.5lol).

As for a mk5 GTi at 17, i think your mad, or your parents must be mad, I know a guy who had an m3 at 17 (mummy and daddy obviously). I suppose if mummy and daddy are paying for your car and paying for the insurance, then just milk it, but if you crash, i bet they wont pay it after that.

gtigolfthree

« Reply #57 on: 03 August 2009, 20:19 »
If you have just passed your test get a small car, build up some ncb and learn how to drive. passing your test is only the brginning of learning to drive and not the end. I remember it well when you got those plates on people give you a wide berth and you have an experienced driver beside you. Different story when tou take those plates off and go out by your self other drivers will show you no mercy and the bit that takes years to learn is successfully predicting what other drivers and pedestrians are going to do.

Offline Madmax

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 06 August 2009, 13:04 »
Hmmm, he hasn't got a MK5 GTI. he said he's got a "Volkswagon Golf Mk5 1.6 5dr"..

Jkctr

« Reply #59 on: 09 August 2009, 19:21 »
I just noticed that, the OP never even mentioned GTI  :laugh: