Author Topic: Insurance on Golf Gti Mk5 17yr old need help plz  (Read 21477 times)

Offline mk1_dub

• Not said much yet
Re: Insurance on Golf Gti Mk5 17yr old need help plz
« Reply #30 on: 07 June 2009, 20:21 »
As everyone else has said, the most sensible option would be to get something that abit cheaper to insure. Your own policy on a mk5 GTI will be well over 5K, you'll even be getting quotes for double that.

It will DEFFINATLY be cheaper on your dads name, depending on how many years no claims your dads got, you may even get a quote for under £2-£3k, if your mums got alot of no claims stick her on there too! HOWEVER this is illegal, as someone mentioned its called fronting. If you get caught they will void your insurance and it will mean you've been driving without insurance and you'll get 6points and a 12month ban, you'll have to take both tests again too. But thats if you get caught, ofcourse.

Saying this, the insurance on any GTi is going to be expensive, i know how you feel because you've just passed, im only 20 so im still young, there was a time where mummy and daddy paid my way too, i had the best car when i was in sixth form, now im at uni in debt, still got my motor though, but could do with the money. Most normal people will say you should save the money, this is the best option because it will deffinatly benefit you in the future, especially in times like this. But your only going to be 17 once mate and its alll about the way you feel when your driving! - Just saying how i feel!

Offline Mrwebster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #31 on: 10 June 2009, 20:49 »
im 19 and have a mk4 gti turbo,   for me on my own policy  it was £3400 for the first year, then i crashed my dads car and then my mates punto and it went up to £6000 so i changed companies to admiral multicar,  put my mum and dad on it along with both of there cars for the discount and its still £3200   my advice sell the car as it got me into a mess as i had to pay it all in one go. but im ok now.  your 17  dont forget youve got to Tax it and MOT it and put at least £50 a week in its belly to enjoy it..
Golf GTI turbo (230hp)  mx5 / eunos roadster 120bhp Reliant rialto modified (49hp)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #32 on: 10 June 2009, 20:52 »
^ 'king Hell !!!! :shocked:

Thats some serious dosh.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #33 on: 10 June 2009, 21:07 »
eeeeeeeeeeee when I was a lad, 950cc fiestas were the 17 year olds weapon of choice  :grin:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #34 on: 10 June 2009, 21:49 »
people saying he'd kill himself if he got a mk5 gti for his 1st car is utter rubbish!! a car will travel as fast as the driver puts his foot down not all 17yr olds are mad loonies! when i past my test i had a tuned mk2 fiesta XR2 with a 200bhp rs turbo lump in it (16yrs ago now) then when i was 18 got a 4x4 sapphire cossie which was running various power stages (270bhp,330bhp,400bhp then 450bhp) upto when i was 21 and im still here! oviously if he drives like a tw4t then he's got it coming but if he had a 1.0 micra and drove like a tw4t he'd still prob kill himself wont he??

Some of that is a fair point, but you're more likely to drive like a tw4t in a fast car than you are in a slow one. You're likely to take more chances etc etc. Picture this, 17yo in a mk5 GTI, astra vxr pulls up next to it at the lights, is there a traffic light grand prix ? Yup I reckon. Not the same scenario in a 1.0 micra.
......now officially dubless.

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #35 on: 11 June 2009, 13:22 »
people saying he'd kill himself if he got a mk5 gti for his 1st car is utter rubbish!! a car will travel as fast as the driver puts his foot down not all 17yr olds are mad loonies! when i past my test i had a tuned mk2 fiesta XR2 with a 200bhp rs turbo lump in it (16yrs ago now) then when i was 18 got a 4x4 sapphire cossie which was running various power stages (270bhp,330bhp,400bhp then 450bhp) upto when i was 21 and im still here! oviously if he drives like a tw4t then he's got it coming but if he had a 1.0 micra and drove like a tw4t he'd still prob kill himself wont he??

Some of that is a fair point, but you're more likely to drive like a tw4t in a fast car than you are in a slow one. You're likely to take more chances etc etc. Picture this, 17yo in a mk5 GTI, astra vxr pulls up next to it at the lights, is there a traffic light grand prix ? Yup I reckon. Not the same scenario in a 1.0 micra.

totally agree with Gibby here, it was only last year when i had my mk5 and i was 25 and exactly the same so a 17 year old just past his test is going to be the same if not worse, the point is proven by the fact that all insurance companies charge mega bucks on small engined cars for first time drivers.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #36 on: 11 June 2009, 15:20 »
I drive like a saint in the MK5, no idea what you boys are on about . . . . . . .

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 12 June 2009, 18:57 »
Sounds like madness to me.

I know what I was like when I was 17, I tried to find the 'limits' of my mums 1.8 cavalier whenever I got the chance.  Had I had a mk5 or any performance car I would have been dead.  You might be a very careful and cautious driver for your age but since you are wanting a mk5 GTI...I think not.

Another thing to consider - and I don't mean any offense - but no one is going to respect or think highly of a 17 year old driving a mk5.  They will automatically think either 'daddys car' or spoilt brat.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #38 on: 13 June 2009, 15:14 »
Hey mate,

I do agree with what everyone is saying with the "get a less powerful car" but your only 17 once so make the most of it! Im 18 and ive just got myself a MK4 2.0l golf gti 8v, I absolutly love it! put my life a soul into repairing it.

Ive been looking for insurance for ages and im telling you Elephant is the best! out of every quote ive had elephant was about half the price, put yourself as the main driver then add your parents in. Im full comp for £1500 with 1year NC so im not sure if itl be able to do anything for you special for you but its definatly well worth the try!

Good luck mate!

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #39 on: 14 June 2009, 09:45 »
Im full comp for £1500 with 1year NC

That quote, right there, is another big reason why I would never consider buying a car with any poke when I was 17 or 18. £1500 a year ! Wowser ! :shocked:
......now officially dubless.