Author Topic: Mk6 GTI Spectacularly poor value!  (Read 6651 times)

Offline noj66

• Not said much yet
Mk6 GTI Spectacularly poor value!
« on: 18 May 2009, 18:21 »
Went to see my local dealer's demo,a silver 5-door.Lovely car but disappointingly similar to the Mk5.
The price list they gave me is eye-watering!I was considering enquiring about px'ing the Scirocco i bought last year from them.Stuuf that is standard on the Scirocco like the adaptive dampers and RCD510 head unit are cost options on the Golf.It makes the Golf seem poor value.To spec a 3-door to the spec of my Scirocco which was 24.5k would cost near to 28k. Surely some mistake! :sad:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: Mk6 GTI Spectacularly poor value!
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2009, 20:08 »
There's been many many posts and a few threads on this already.

We can't do anything about the prices, we either pay it or we don't. I think you have to either really love the car or have enough cash where its still affordable.

As I said in previous threads, no-one pays the list price for any car, if you do your either flush with cash or couldnt haggle to save yourself.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2009, 23:01 »
its not as bad as think if you look into it, you get as standard which were options on mk5-front center armrest ,multifunction steering wheel and highline, ipod or usb conection in armrest, factory rear tints, reverse activated auto kerbview mirror. (these are options i spec on mk5 anyway)  So for me its the same price as i have managed to get some discount plus build quality a lot higher
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2009, 18:05 »
^Are you sure kerb view is standard? I was sure it was part of the lux pack on the mk6? The rest of the spec is personal especially the tints i wish there were an option rather than standard i know a few have been put off by them standard, IMO it takes some of the class out of the car but thats my personal view on it.  If you compare last years price/spec mk5 GTI to this years MK6 GTI you will see theres a big price increase mainly because leather is no longer standard.
I sat down and speced a GTI to Audi S3 standard levels, taking discount into account and theres not a big difference in price :shocked:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2009, 21:41 »
^ Yes 100% on kerbview mirror found it in menu of highline dash on 2nd day of ownership and i do not have lux pack (folding mirrors). I know what you are saying about price inc leather but if you compare price launch 2005 and 2009 no difference to me as i do not have leather and wanted one without leather.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2009, 13:11 »
You could say what they gave with one hand they took away with the other. Just from memory.
They took the storage pack off as well as the flat tyre indicator. Gave MFSW, Armrest, highline and tints. Im still not sure myself how the extras they have standard on the mk6 are equal to £2420 the 05 price difference. Even taking cost of living and reduced VAT into account.
The discounts available are also about the same too as i bought our mk5 GTI new in 05 for £18446
I think we simply have different views on this. Don't get me wrong unlike alot of mk5 owners im not a mk6 hater infact im looking to replace our 2nd car the one i seem to have managed to have to use most the time, :sad: (women!) with a second GTI so im looking at the mk6 myself as well as nearly new mk5s.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2009, 13:17 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2009, 15:40 »
^ im just saying its not as bad a price rise as everyone thinks, not for me anyway. I couldn't get any discount off my 05 gti at all maybe cause i ordered early jan 05 and the reviews it was getting was out of this world, it was like Jesus had returned. So with my discount and standard equipment what i would have specced it works out the near enough same, if fact its proberly cheaper as our money is worth less than 05, for me personally anyhow,
Also storage pack was not standard and flat tyre indicator is only £35. Don,t get me wrong id prefer if new gti was cheaper but i also looked into getting a nearly new mk5 gti and some of the prices dealers are asking for 58 reg are stupid, i got my mk6 cheaper  :cool:

Offline jreed110

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2009, 09:46 »
People seem to be missing the fact that the price rises aren't due to an increase in costs or equipment from VW, it's the huge change in the currency rates that UK buyers are paying for. It's a lot harder for VW to hike the price up once the car's already being sold so late Mk5 buyers managed to get away with this a little, unfortunately it's made the Mk6 seem poor value in comparison.

Offline Chins

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2009, 14:14 »

On the counter side of the currency changes - I'm in distribution so understand the issues, you have the fact that VW stated the MKV was too expensive to produce and the MK6 was rushed through to save costs. So whilst exchanges rates have changed, in theory the cost to produce the car in Euro's has decreased.

Offline davoaj

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2009, 16:24 »
This is along the lines I was thinking. Just don't see that the higher price can be blamed on the current weakness of the pound and it's not as if VW will change the price if the £ recovers is it!!

There will obviously be plenty of people willing to pay what VW are asking, but for that money I really will be going elsewhere for my second car and holding on to my MkV.