Author Topic: R20  (Read 13491 times)

Offline golfgti5

• GTI forum regular
R20
« on: 17 May 2009, 09:50 »
R20,

i think i like my new orderd VI Candy White DSG GTi more........

but thats personal

GTI Mk7 DSG Candy White, 19" Santiagos, Discover Media, xenon, Executive Package, ACC, PDC, Park Assist, Alarm+......

Offline MarkS

• I live here
Re: R20
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2009, 18:39 »
Looks nice does that!  :cool:
Would like to see it from the back!

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2009, 11:20 »
That picture has popped up a few times receantly and not sure if its an official rendering or not, but we will find out on Friday when its unveiled!  :evil:

Still not a full word if the Rocco and Golf R20's will be AWD or not, but the engine looks like it will deffo be the same as whats going in the revised Leon.

Problem for us in the UK is, I would guess at £27-£28k due to the Euro.

Dave
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2009, 12:16 »
I prefer that to the GTI actually, wont be the same without the V6 roar :(

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2009, 13:08 »
I prefer that to the GTI actually, wont be the same without the V6 roar :(

ditto.

the do have a "noise generator" though  :cry:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2009, 13:09 »
Yeah, still isnt the same though. My Miltek sounds nice, but nothing compared to what Toph sounded like when he gunned away from the RR day. Made me sex wee myself :(

TeddyKGB

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2009, 10:43 »
Don't know if this has been posted before but here's a video:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009/05/spy-video-volkswagen-golf-r20-on-the-nurburgring.html

Sounds pretty lame though :sick:

Offline yan355

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2009, 15:54 »
Hi there

Went to see the new Gti at the weekend just to get a physical look at the new version. Much more impressive in real life than the pics - have to say after being initially unimpressed with the press shots the Mk6 is a very impressive package and has addressed most of the very few issues Ive had with my Mk5. Despite that its not enough of a change for me to swap my Mk5 which is what id said to the sales guy.

That comment got us onto the R20/Golf R or whatever it becomes called. When I re-iterated the current press snippets of essentially a 4pot Golf Bodied S3/TTS he didnt disagree but did say that they thought that the power output was now going to be higher than 270bhp   - reason being the Focus RS and the rave reviews it had got. He was under the impression that was the reason that it was a no show at the Nurburgring this weekend - I cant find any mention of it anywhere - anybody else??have I missed it???

Both sales guys said categorically that the 2.5t TTRS engine is not currently planned for the Golf as a Golf with 340bhp would eat into the sales of both Audi and a lesser extent Porsche. They did both say though that they thought it may come along later towards the end of the MK6 life cycle when the next generation 911/Audi TT/RS3 comes on stream - until then they both thought it was highly unlikely although VW have they said tested this engine in the MK6.

Seeing the new Gti pretty much made my mind up that the R20 will be replace mine whilst I was initially dissapointed that the 2.5t engine isnt going to be in the Golf the more ive thought about it - the TTS does  0-60 in 5.2ish with a bhp per tonne of about 200ish -  a remapped R20 at about 310bhp would work out with bhp per tonne of about 220-235 working on 1350ish kgs as the kerb weight.

Yes there wont be the wonderfull v6 sound that you R32 owners are used to but and for me it will be the big but - itll be a bl****y fast Golf and thats got me very very interested

Any body else got any more info?

Cheers

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2009, 17:13 »
There are sooo many rumours flying around the moment its impossible to know what the truth is, Id take what the dealers say with a pinch of salt aswell.

Really need to wait till VW make an announcement, I heard this Golf R20 ISNT going to have 4WD, and if thats the case its going to need a fking good chassis (like the Focus RS has) to control all the power its going to have.

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2009, 11:46 »
I heard this Golf R20 ISNT going to have 4WD, and if thats the case its going to need a fking good chassis (like the Focus RS has) to control all the power its going to have.

Thats the word I have been hearing too. In that case I wont be interested in it. The R line always had something special, one that V6 and two the 4WD. I could live without the V6 as I know VW are trying to keep the tree huggers happy but with no 4wd then I cant see why I would want to change to it from my R32.  :cry:
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom