Author Topic: Is My Gearbox Dying?  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Dannys Mk3 Project

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 54
Is My Gearbox Dying?
« on: 16 May 2009, 01:08 »
Little problem with the revs in 4th and 5th gear.

When I get to 2,500revs in either the rev needle shoots up but I get no real acceleration, but if I just back off the pedal slightly, then it seems to pick up speed at a slower but constant rate without over revving?

I don't rag my car and I am talking normal acceleration accelerator depressed like quarter to halfway?

Think it's my gearbox? Or could it be something different? ECU maybe?

EDIT** Duh, it's a MK3 1995 GTI 8v (if that helps)

Offline lee_lee08

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
  • 1996 GTI 8v
Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2009, 03:32 »
clutch slip? does it pull away with out juddering?

In 5th gear doing 30 and flooring the accelerator! is there nothing but revs or does it keep picking up speed (albeit gradually?)

Offline Dannys Mk3 Project

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 54
Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2009, 04:13 »
clutch slip? does it pull away with out juddering?

In 5th gear doing 30 and flooring the accelerator! is there nothing but revs or does it keep picking up speed (albeit gradually?)

Not long had a new clutch, although I have had a few problems....

I'll test the 30mph in 5th gear tomorrow and let you know, I aint going out at 4am :)

But thanks for reply, I'll test it out tomorrow.

Pulls away fine also :)

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2009, 09:10 »
Might be that your crank shaft oil seal has failed and oil has got onto the clutch.

Offline mk3valver

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 432
Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2009, 11:08 »
As above my crank shift oil seal has gone, now my clutch is'nt slipping yet but I've told it will be soon if I dont get it sorted!

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2009, 12:53 »
I doubt the gearbox would be at fault...  Could only be the clutch really..?
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


Offline Dannys Mk3 Project

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 54
Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2009, 17:09 »
Yeah the car still picks up speed at 30 in 5th gear......


Is it a big job to replace the crank shaft oil seal? I looked in the Haynes manual and they say you need to get it like up on ramps and everything .... Anyone had this done at a garage? Got a rough cost?

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2009, 20:58 »
it's basicly as per clutch chamge but you take the flywheel off to get at the seal as well
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2009, 20:59 »
seal is about £26 probs ost £300 for fitting tho
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline mk3valver

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 432
Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2009, 22:24 »
Danny where about's are you?