Author Topic: samjac68 - "mouldy mk2 1.3"  (Read 3590 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
samjac68 - "mouldy mk2 1.3"
« on: 08 May 2009, 12:51 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline samjac68

• GTI forum regular
Re: samjac68 - "mouldy mk2 1.3"
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2009, 00:03 »
Well, a bit of backround... i had a mk2 golf 1.6 driver as a project when i was 15 then sold it as i couldnt afford it. but was always obsessed with golfs and euro style after that. when i turned 17 i couldnt find a mk2 and at the time just wanted any car (bit like fat chicks... then pretend its the one you always wanted) :grin:

have got my cinq but ive bought this;

The plan is to get it on axle stands, take rusty bits off and black hammerite them, do any welding underneath the car.
Full service, cam belt, maybe head gasket, pads/shoes any other wear and tear items
full clean up and polish (still havent sussed my action plan but ill come up with something) touch up and fill any dents
Found a mint condition gti interior but with leather seats for £100 at a local scrappy

then its coilovers, nice wheels blah blah blah when i find the money, job one is to get it clean, tidy and reliable :smiley:

update when i actually get it back to mine

sam :smiley:

Not got a golf yet! did have a 1.6 driver plan to have another project car soon ;)

Offline samjac68

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2009, 00:01 »
Right, set off at 5 oclock tonight with my mates mate who has trade plates, we got to the car at 6ish, had a quick once over and jump started it, battery is flat as a pancake as expected. the guy selling it was storing it at a friends yard who he bought it off and it apparently had service history.

runs fineish, a bit tappety at first but ran fine after that. This car desperately needs a service, i think its still on the original oil filter at 111,000 :sick: (its completely rotten!). the alternator looks shineyish, and i think the exhaust isnt too old... but might be blowing?

interior mirror has fell off
sun roof is held in with bathroom sealant
one of the mirrors has a bit cracked off it
needs a new rear arch liner
has a 5cm round patch of rust on the rear driver 1/4
some holes in the sills
few more random small rust patches

today i got it back and got straight to cleaning it, was a bit hectic as i needed to clean it as my grandad came out and told me it looked like id dredged a lake and found it there :grin:

I used a pressure washer brush and a big bucket of water and washing up liquid, scrubbed away and the moss came off fairly easily, rinsed off, car is now clean :smiley: also had a crack at it with some t-cut but its gonna need something harder on the paint :smiley: im happy as the car is pretty much dent free (my cinq has loads and loads of dents and it really irritates me)

my phone is being a twit so no pics yet, was gonna get some better pics of the mould but ended up in a hectic rush to clean it lol.

pic update tomorrow :smiley:

sam :smiley:

Not got a golf yet! did have a 1.6 driver plan to have another project car soon ;)

Offline samjac68

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2009, 08:54 »
a pic of it looking a lot better than it did on the ebay auction-

sunroof sealed with bathroom sealant :huh:

Had a bit of a browse and seen that its generally the drain holes being blocked that causes the leak? chances are ill have to cut everything out with a stanley knife and fit new seals i think, sunroof is the only luxury compared to my old car :grin:

main rusty patch on the bodywork-

Hoping to get the metal clean with a wire brush attachment for a drill, treat it, then fibreglass from the other side and filler.

bit more rust, and some leftover t-cut as it went dark halfway through

The rotten arch, will be wire brushed, treated and hammerited. and ill then replace the liner :wink:

some surface rust around the cap, needs sorting aswell-

2 little rust scabs, nowt major-

Theres more but i dont wanna bore you all, ill do some little bits after college tonight, i finish at 1 tomorrow and have thursday, friday saturday and sunday to go the full works on it :wink:

sam

Offline samjac68

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2009, 19:58 »
well theres good news... and bad news...

today ive been working on the minor things, trying to find a brake flaring tool to lend, have cleaned all the mould from the seals and rinsed all the crap off, and given the interior a quick hoover. did a bit of fibreglassing, got a new wing mirror, got a spring for the bonnet catch clip and got a new arch for the rear :smiley:

also pics of my not so pretty brake lines, went on vosa website and checked out when the last mot was and to my surprise it had the failure details (the last time the car saw the road)

Date of test: 23/05/2006
Certificate issue refused (Fail)
Odometer reading: 111,719 Miles
Test number: 831203946169
Test station name: NORTH BIRMINGHAM MOTORS LTD
Test station number: 54929
Test station telephone number: 01922452955
Test class: IV
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate
Nearside Front Brake disc(s) excessively scored (3.5.1h)
Offside Front Brake disc(s) excessively scored (3.5.1h)
Offside Front Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick (3.5.1f)
Nearside Front Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick (3.5.1f)
Nearside Front Windscreen wiper blade deteriorated (8.2.2)
Offside Front Windscreen wiper blade deteriorated (8.2.2)
Nearside Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.3)
Offside Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.3)
Outer Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.3)
Outer Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.3)
Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
Centre Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
Nearside Rear Rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.A.4a)
Offside Rear Rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.A.4a)
Nearside Rear Rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.A.7a)
Offside Rear Rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.A.7a)
Nearside Rear Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.5c)
Offside Rear Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.5c)
Nearside Rear Stop lamp not working (1.3.2a)
Nearside Front Windscreen washer control is inaccessible to the driver (8.2.1a)
Offside Front Windscreen washer control is inaccessible to the driver (8.2.1a)
Service brake efficiency below requirements (3.7.A.8)
Parking brake efficiency below requirements (3.7.A.9/10)

Yes... epic fail i know, the main worry i have is according to this i have rot left right and centre, 'within 30cm of body mountings?' only rust ive found is one sill and one of the points for lifting the car on 2 post lift.

im not happy that the previous owner didnt tell me the car virtually had no f**king brakes when i let my friend drive it back on trade plates aswell :angry:

ah well, still hasnt put me off the car :smiley: update soon, probably tomorrow :grin: