Author Topic: engine setup  (Read 878 times)

Offline benji mk2

• Here all the time
  • Soon be christmas!
engine setup
« on: 04 August 2004, 09:24 »
Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice? I'm in the middle of putting a mk2 1985 k-jet 1.8 8v into my mk1. The biggest head scratcher so far far is setting it up with a new cambelt. The engine didnt come with a belt on, so everything is out of sync. Any help would be grand!   ;D

Offline frankerooney

• GTI forum regular
Re:engine setup
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2004, 14:02 »
Was the head on it when you got the engine? If so, it's best to try + find where the crankshaft is in relation to everything else.
Most people say that 8valvers have non interference pistons/valves that won't hit each other if you move the crankshaft round without the belt on, but I dunno!
  On my DX engine KJET (scirocco) there's a mark on the crank pulley which lines up with a mark on the lower belt cover when the crank is at TDC for no.1. If you don't have this and are feeling brave and want to rotate the crank with the head on, I guess you could take no1 plug out and push your thumb over + see when the compression stroke is + work out when the cylinder is as far up as it goes??
  There also should be another mark on the crank pulley which lines up with the intermediate shaft mark (as per haynes manual) which then should line up so that at the dizzy, the rotor arm is pointing at where no1. spark lead contact normally sits. The haynes manual should have a picture of where the camshaft pulley should be for the model you've got. I think it has a small dot which lines up with the front of the rocker case cover at TDC.
  Anyone else have any tips?