Author Topic: Urgent MK1 Gear Box Problem  (Read 869 times)

Offline Deejay

• Just got here
Urgent MK1 Gear Box Problem
« on: 02 August 2004, 21:05 »
Hey,

I'm a new member to the GolfGTI forum and I'm after some advice!  I have an '83 MK1 Golf GTI 1800 with a gear box problem.  The car is drivable unless I use 4th gear, as soon as I put it in 4th it takes a lot to get it out again and grinds on the way out.  I have checked the linkage and it looks ok, so presumably my problem is in the box.

Can anyone shed any light on the problem?  ???

Also as I may need to change the box can anyone give me some advice on where and what box to get.  I am currently happy with the ratios I've got and judging by other posted messages the first step is to find out what my existing box is.  However any info on what boxes I can fit and what the effect will be on performance and drivability would be appreciated

Getting tired of driving 200 miles a week without 4th!

Cheers
D

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
Re:Urgent MK1 Gear Box Problem
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2004, 22:45 »
Hi Deejay.
Sounds like the g/box is toast :-\. There was a list of g/box codes and the ratios posted somewhere, someone will be along and post a link to them or use the search ;).
There was a link to a Scirocco forum with good gearbox info, can't find it at the mo :-\.
As far as ratios go, I have a box with diesel ratios in it and the car still goes well and is a lot more relaxed on the motorway.
Steve.

Offline Deejay

• Just got here
Re:Urgent MK1 Gear Box Problem
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2004, 19:58 »
Thanks Steve I'll get searching  :-\