Author Topic: Running temp? Mk3 golf......  (Read 3624 times)

Offline mk3valver

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 432
Running temp? Mk3 golf......
« on: 28 April 2009, 13:34 »
I read somewhere on here the other day that the ideal oil temp for my mk3 Gti was 80oC. I was out for an hour today and noticed that mine was running at 90oC oil and 70oC on the dash (whatever that is, air?) I have no warning light's on or anything, is this dangerous for my engine and if so what can i do to fix it?

Thank's, Matt

Offline Mikester

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,427
  • Civic Type R
Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2009, 13:37 »
My oil runs are 90degrees when in traffic, or driving about at 30mph. And the water temp on the dash is at half way.

When driving at 70mph, the oil temp goes down a bit slowly, as does the water temp.

When you car gets hot, does the Rad fan kick in?

Offline mk3valver

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 432
Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2009, 13:44 »
Yeah it does, it's sometimes running for ages after I've turned it off. Last week when the sun was out and it was hot I put the bonnet up so it cooled down quicker cos it was on for so long!

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2009, 13:53 »
My 8v was always around 95 to be honest.

Offline DrewGTI

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 750
Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2009, 17:22 »
Yeah it does, it's sometimes running for ages after I've turned it off. Last week when the sun was out and it was hot I put the bonnet up so it cooled down quicker cos it was on for so long!



shouldn't the fan stop once the car has stopped running?  :huh:

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2009, 18:47 »
my 8v runs at about 88-90 on normla driving, about 92-94 on spirited drivng, and about 98-100 on motorway fast driving.

Offline spunkymonkey

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 706
  • Tepidly moist! That's what that is!
Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2009, 19:26 »
My 8v was always around 95 to be honest.

same here  :smiley:
 

Offline mk3valver

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 432
Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2009, 19:35 »
oh good I was getting worried!   

Offline boneybradley

  • Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,482
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2009, 19:52 »
I had mine at 120 once  :shocked:
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)



Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Mikester

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,427
  • Civic Type R
Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2009, 20:14 »
Yeah it does, it's sometimes running for ages after I've turned it off. Last week when the sun was out and it was hot I put the bonnet up so it cooled down quicker cos it was on for so long!



shouldn't the fan stop once the car has stopped running?  :huh:

Not if its hot it wont.