Author Topic: Is the clutch knackered ?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline patch900

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 362
Is the clutch knackered ?
« on: 28 April 2009, 11:22 »
Mk3 GTI, 1998, 150k on the clock, well maintained and not thrashed.

Has a tendency to crunch in 2nd but I think this is pretty common from what I have read.

Recently I have noticed my clutch bites at the very top. It can be hard to get in / out of gear, however, all gears engage normally and the engine doesnt overrev at all.

Is the clutch on the way out ?

Any ideas.
Virtually everything I know about the workings of the internal combustion engine can be written on the back of a small stamp with a large marker

Offline VR6-Joe

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,638
Re: Is the clutch knackered ?
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2009, 12:40 »
Have you checked the cable? Think they're self adjusting? Might have stretched?
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline patch900

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 362
Re: Is the clutch knackered ?
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2009, 13:23 »
was thinking the cable might have stretched, had a new one fitted about 3yrs ago
Virtually everything I know about the workings of the internal combustion engine can be written on the back of a small stamp with a large marker

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Is the clutch knackered ?
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2009, 13:54 »
I would try a cable first.

Offline harlemex

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,023
Re: Is the clutch knackered ?
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2009, 14:21 »
Then try a new linkage kit if the cable doesnt fix it. Im about to do mine. Ihave difficulty engaging 1st and 2nd and sometimes i get the dreaded reverse crunch :laugh:

Offline patch900

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 362
Re: Is the clutch knackered ?
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2009, 18:45 »
cheers,

it can be a bit stiff with 1st and 2nd and get the occasional crunch but as said before it doesnt over rev in any gear.

I had the cable tightened or a new one put on a few years back, the chances are its slackened again.

time for a visit to the garage

mainly its a pain in the a*** but if its not the clutch itself thats shot I am fine with that
Virtually everything I know about the workings of the internal combustion engine can be written on the back of a small stamp with a large marker