Author Topic: How do I Remove CV Joint ??  (Read 1145 times)

Offline droughty

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 1
How do I Remove CV Joint ??
« on: 27 April 2009, 06:28 »
I have removed the Right (drivers side) axle, and cut both the CV boots off as they were perished,
I now do not know how to install the new CV boot as it will not fit over the axle (its too fat)
I'm guessing I have to remove the CV joint off the axle.
It has no cir-clip like the inner joint, will it come off with a few good wacks, or is there a better way?

Photo below of CV JOINT.

Maybe not, how do you post a photo here????

Regards.
Droughty


Offline Cable

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 579
Re: How do I Remove CV Joint ??
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2009, 07:38 »
there is a cone tool that you can use that stretches the boot over the joint.

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: How do I Remove CV Joint ??
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2009, 08:08 »
Standard CV boots will require you to take the cv joint off, usualy the just bang off,  use a soft mallet, grab the shaft and bang the joint untill it moves,  others have a circlip, i dont think the golf does but check first.    You can buy stretchy cv boots and fit it with a cone.
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: How do I Remove CV Joint ??
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2009, 09:56 »
i do it by holding shaft vertical, then i put my foot on one side of the lip on the cv, pull up on shaft and tap the other side of the cv with a hammer gently, doesnt usually require much force.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2009, 09:59 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.