Author Topic: MK1 Flashing Oil Light  (Read 1252 times)

Offline gee

• Not said much yet
MK1 Flashing Oil Light
« on: 29 July 2004, 10:58 »
Hey All!  ;D
I have a MK1 Golf GTI that was a 1.6 but now has a 1.9 engine that was done by TSR. I have a flashing oil light which is bugging me now! It has been like that since I had it and the previous owner said it has been like that for a while. He got a garage to look at it and they couldn't figure it out, so big kudos to anyone here if they can ;D I have noticed that the light turns off now and then when driving, after running less than 2,000 revs or free rolling in neutral... or even if the car is driving very steady. I am sure there is something wrong with the sensor or that it wasn't put back correctly when the engine was done. Any advice???

Many thanks in advance,
Gee
Happiness is a good health and a bad memory.

Offline Joester

• Not said much yet
Re:MK1 Flashing Oil Light
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2004, 13:30 »
Mine does this, try periodically smacking the top of the dashboard with your palm.
Hey-Presto, the light extinguishes for a few second, putting your mind at rest.

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2004, 21:04 »
Hi, there are two oil pressure switches on the engine and if either of the switches goes faulty it should operate the light and buzzer. If you have checked the oil pressure with a guage and it is within specs, go for the switches. One of the switches is normaly open contacts and the other is normally closed. To test these I use 2 test lamps, one end of each connected to battery positive and the other end of the test lamp to each switch, then with engine stood one lamp should be lit, and when you start the engine it should go out and the other should light. Watch for either of them flickering or not changing over. If you do replace the switches, make sure that you put the correct switch in the correct location. I have also seen some cars with the strainer on the oil pick up pipe blocked, this causes the oil pressure to drop as the engine revs are increased, drop the sump off and clean out.
Steve.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2004, 21:19 by mk1 »

Offline gee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2004, 16:07 »
Bit too techy for my liking but will give it a go soon. The buzzer doesn't work properly... thank god! If it did then would drive me crazy if it was sounding all the time! Is there any other way of checking? Also, why does it go off when the engine is running less than 2k revs?  ???
Happiness is a good health and a bad memory.