Author Topic: Alloys.....  (Read 3902 times)

Offline ifti

• I live here
Alloys.....
« on: 12 April 2009, 11:29 »
Quick detailing question - which I put here rather then in the detailing section as I wanted to target the MK5 GTI / ED30 owners......

Ive just bought 2 buckets, a wash mitt, some 'Autowash' shampoo, and a waffle weave cloth.

Im not much of a detailer - just a quick was to clean the car off (single bucket), quick spray of 'Mr Muscle' on the windows to clean them, and then clean the alloys with the same left over car shampoo - that was all I used to do with my old car!

Im trying to be more careful now, hence the reason for buying the above stuff.
I would like to keep the alloys and exhaust cleaner then I usually did with my previous car!

Plan is to wet the car, use the 2 bucket wash method, rinse over, then dry with the waffle weave cloth, however Im stuck on alloys and exhaust....

What do you use to clean your alloys??
I was going to buy some AutoGlym alloy spray that removes brake dust etc, and you just wash off, but wanted to know whether it was any good??
Any recommendations as to some good stuff to use, with minimal effort?
Also do you use a alloy brush etc?

What should I use to keep my exhaust shiny and clean?

Finally, I dont have the patience to spend hours waxing etc - is there a polish spray I could quickly apply to bring the shine up??

Thanks in advance

Offline pany

• Not said much yet
Re: Alloys.....
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2009, 11:42 »
It is worth putting the effort in first time. This makes it really easy to just wash it quickly in the nice weather.

Meguairs wheel cleaner is pretty good. Can get it easily from Halfords, and it foams nicely so sticks in the corners. A good wheel brush will also really help. The autoglym is handy, but not much use at getting round the back of the spokes. ideally first time, take the wheels off.

Depending on the age of the car, some Autoglym intensive tar remover can be useful, can also use this on the car itself. Best to spray on and wipe off with a microfibre. Bin the microfibre after use, it will stink up your washing machine. It will remove all traces of LSP as well so need to wax or polish when finished.

If you polish the wheels with Autoglym SRP before sealing really does bring up the shine.

Poorboys wheel sealer is excellent, and smells lovely. If you put a couple of coats on, generally you can remove all the brake dust with a pressure cleaner and then just top up.

For the exhaust use some autosol or meguirs metal polish. If really sooted up, you can use some very fine wire wool. Again Halfords sell this.

Hope this helps.

Offline ifti

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2009, 12:19 »
Thanks mate, may take a look at the Meguairs wheel cleaner, and Autosol metal polish ;)

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2009, 13:28 »
post this in the detailing section as you will get better advice there than anywhere else on the forum for this!

Jkctr

« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2009, 13:44 »
I use a wash mitt and some shampoo and water. Not a fan of any wheel cleaner!

Layer up some sealant to prevent dirt and brake dust build up.

Then you can clean each wheel in around a minute, 5 mins all together and do it every couple of days to keep them clean. A little bit of effort every other day will prevent loads of effort once a week  :wink:

Offline ifti

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2009, 13:52 »
post this in the detailing section as you will get better advice there than anywhere else on the forum for this!

I posted here thinking it was more a question for the MK5 ED30 owners, having the same alloys etc - but I guess you may be right. Maybe Hurdy will move it for me........

In the meantime - has anyone tried 'Meguiars Nxt Generation Spray Car Wax' ?? Any good?

Jkctr

« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2009, 14:20 »
I can tell you without using it, it isnt!

Read a few reviews and it lasts a few days and adds no shine. Its basically a detailer spray that lasts abit longer than usual!

Offline ifti

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2009, 14:29 »
Oh I see, I wont bother with that then! Cheers!

Offline pitch3110

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2009, 15:02 »
I use 1 bucket first with NXT wash, a mit & soft MF brush.

1, hose the whole car & jet wash wheels& under all arches
2, wash the car from lower trim line down & rinse.
3, mit the wheels inside & out, making sure that the insides are as clean & tar free as the fronts & rinse.

Fresh bucket of NXT + another with just water to rinse A FURTHER MIT (I don't use the same one for lower bodywork & wheels).

1, roof & glass, then rinse.
2, bonnett & front, then rinse
3, each side & rinse (before doing the other)
4, and finish with the dirtiest part of the car which is the back (normally).

Sonus der wonder towels are the muts to dry with..

1, Use one to do first dry sweep.
2, then use a further MF towel to QD ( loads to try from, megs NXT is a good starter, quickshine good & others I am trying) & a further Sonus to buff off.
3, Glass....megs I prefer, AG..dusty, again loads to try which I am working through again.
4, wheels, I dry with paper towel & QD & finish with AG alloy wheel seal which is very good (& I have mentioned before)
5, Tyres..... Megs endurance gel takes some beating.
6, Interior, got to be poorboys natural look everytime.
7, door shuts QD and paper towel
8, pipe tips.....autosol

I can rattle through that in 1 hour exactly

I have only had my G220 for a few months & results on my Phantom Black A4 are amazing.
I would normally give the full treatment twice a year, with polish & wax every other month, sometimes every month depending on time.

ta

I am by no means an expert & do not profess to be, but I think I know how to clean a car (a bit)..........

Offline ifti

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2009, 15:11 »
thats pretty good going for an hours work!!
Good idea with a second mit for the lower part of the car and wheels - may buy myself a second mit as well ;)
May pick up the tyre shine you use as well - hadnt considered that!