Author Topic: Turbo not working  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Stevie Callaghan

• Not said much yet
Turbo not working
« on: 23 July 2004, 05:48 »
 :( HELP!!!

Coming home from work this morning and there was a sudden rush of air from my car (PD130) and sh!t loads of soot, car started hesitating and still belching out tonnes of soot and then the turbo packed up altogether. Car runs fine but no turbo. Is the turbo dead? If so how much to get it done? The warranty i've got don't cover turbos.

Steve

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re:Turbo not working
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2004, 08:49 »
If it is dead (which I hope it's not) a stealer will want around ?1000 - ?1200 to supply and fit the new unit. BUT ! before you start crying check every single pipe from the turbo all the way round the engine. Pay particular attention to the pipes attached to the intercooler infront of the drivers side front wheel.
To get best access to this jack the car up, take the bumper off, remove the wheel and take off the wheel arch sh1t cover. If a pipe has come off completely it'd cause the symptoms you describe (so would a massive hole but that wouldn't have come on so suddenly). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you mate  :-\

Chris.

Offline Stevie Callaghan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2004, 09:52 »
Cheers Chris, I ain't no car expert but ?1200 has got me out there now!  Still it, was a quick way to turn a PD into a SDI! ;D Ouch.

Steve

Offline Stevie Callaghan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2004, 11:06 »
Right, got to the intercooler and it has cracked where the lowest pipe (metal) goes into it at the bottom causing it to come away slightly Bout 1/2 inch and blow out the rubber seal, would that be enough to stop the turbo? There is also some oil dripping from it (its done 72k) , is that normal? As the casing is cracked I suppose I need a new intercooler, any ides how much (PD130, 02). And if I can't fix it now would I damage it by driving it?

Thanks

Steve

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2004, 11:27 »
A little oil is normal as a residue builds up overtime, you may even find its mostly condensation with a little oil in it.
You can drive it cautiously as there is no pressure to build up boost in the turbo, but if you try to welly it you'll kick out more smoke than all of London and get nowhere fast.
Not sure on a price but its got to be less than a new turbo !

Offline Stevie Callaghan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2004, 12:48 »
 :) Chris you are a f$?king diamond. Managed to get the pipe back in tight. It was more like an inch out than 1/2. Its cracked where the metal clips hold it in place but its now secure and prob be ok. Test drive........ and that lovely turbo 'whistle' is back!
 Thanks very much for your help as i am no mechanic and really hadn't a clue where to start.

Thanks again

Steve  ;D

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2004, 13:23 »
No worries, glad you got it sorted  ;)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2004, 11:13 »
Nice one Chris. I'll certainly know where to turn if I have any problems with mine, when I eventually get it.............seems to be taking forever for the money to come through ::)

golfvr6

« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2004, 11:28 »
No spending it on booze  :D

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2004, 11:33 »
Moi :o I can't believe you'd think that of me ::)