Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 288570 times)

Offline DOA

• I live here
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #3310 on: 22 April 2012, 19:13 »
Kimi would not have been allowed to win, Red Bull have been the main Renault team for a long time.

Also why do Mclaren always screw things up when they were looking so good.

This had all the makings of a good season and yet after only 4 races Vettel is back on top.

That's balls. Lotus and Red Bull are two entirely different teams who have entirely different backgrounds. Try and remember some of Lotus' past, it's the same factory Renault team that we used to have in F1, in which Alonso won 2 titles so if anything Lotus is the main Renault team.

Wrong, Red bull are now the factory Renault team. You forget Renault were only Renault in name for the last few years and had zero money invested in the company..... Think Ferrari and Sauber.......

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3311 on: 22 April 2012, 19:33 »
Red bull just buy renault engines, they're not related to renault at all other than the engine. Lotus is based at enstone, the old renault factory and most of the mechanics are from the renault days.

Offline stfc_gti

• I live here
« Reply #3312 on: 22 April 2012, 20:25 »
Those lotus are gonna be a force this season. Can't wait to see whats to come
2002 1.8T GTI AUM, Standard (not for much longer)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3313 on: 22 April 2012, 20:28 »
yes, vettel is top, but it's a tight championship with multiple teams challenging for the win, what more do you want!

Anything but Vettel winning another championship, he just seems to get all the luck.

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #3314 on: 22 April 2012, 21:30 »
Red bull just buy renault engines, they're not related to renault at all other than the engine. Lotus is based at enstone, the old renault factory and most of the mechanics are from the renault days.

Renault engines are based at Viri Chatilon in France, always have been, and since the Briatore days have had very little to do with the "renault" team which has been owned by just one man (and his holding companies/whatever) since Briatore left. Renault ditched the car side following that debarcle due to embarrassment and, more fundamentally, as they couldnt afford or justify that side of the business. Just because the car side guys are working at the same place as the old "renault" car factory and have been working in name as Renault, does not make them Renault and hasnt done for a long time now. Red bull are the factory team in terms of support and future development and have been for some time. Do you really think Renault would have allowed the "renault" team to put Lada sponsorship on their car otherwise? This is absolutely no different to Lotus/Caterham, there was never any link to Lotus cars except in name. Same for Sauber-BMW, the only connection to BMW in that case was the facilities that Sauber got back in a bargain deal. Oh and I suspect Red Bull do not pay anything for their engines ;).

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
  • So long and thanks for all the fish!
« Reply #3315 on: 22 April 2012, 22:31 »
Well once again the team let down their drivers! Getting pi$$ed off with Mclaren, Every year they make bad decisions or lash it up when their just getting ahead, it's a joke!

Offline stu646

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3316 on: 24 April 2012, 12:11 »
Sky Sports is starting to cut down air time for the F1 channel.

As of next week between Monday and Friday it will only be on air for about 10 hours. Including on Wednesday it will be on for just one hour , which will show F1 Legends show, both repeats.

While on Thursday nothing will be shown at all , all day.

Friday, it airs just for one hour again , this time for the F1 Show, which for me , I really enjoy.

The whole F1 channel just seems so half hearted for me. Only 4 races in and the channel is hardly on at all next week and out of the 10 hours it is on next week, only 1 hour will be original content and not repeats.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3317 on: 24 April 2012, 16:50 »
all next week and out of the 10 hours it is on next week, only 1 hour will be original content and not repeats.

Just like the rest of their channels then. :grin:

To be honest, while I love F1, there's not exactly a requirement for a dedicated channel apart from at race weekends.

nick

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #3318 on: 24 April 2012, 17:11 »
The channel itself appears to be a bit of a dead duck. I wouldn't mind betting that despite the program itself being good, it gets shunted to another non-dedicated channel nest season...

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #3319 on: 27 April 2012, 21:59 »

Renault engines are based at Viri Chatilon in France, always have been, and since the Briatore days have had very little to do with the "renault" team which has been owned by just one man (and his holding companies/whatever) since Briatore left. Renault ditched the car side following that debarcle due to embarrassment and, more fundamentally, as they couldnt afford or justify that side of the business. Just because the car side guys are working at the same place as the old "renault" car factory and have been working in name as Renault, does not make them Renault and hasnt done for a long time now. Red bull are the factory team in terms of support and future development and have been for some time. Do you really think Renault would have allowed the "renault" team to put Lada sponsorship on their car otherwise? This is absolutely no different to Lotus/Caterham, there was never any link to Lotus cars except in name. Same for Sauber-BMW, the only connection to BMW in that case was the facilities that Sauber got back in a bargain deal. Oh and I suspect Red Bull do not pay anything for their engines ;).

The Red Bull team are still a customer of Renault and do pay for the engines as they have a 5 year contract with Renault to use the supplied engines, Renault as a team was always the primary team for development of the engines in the Viri Chatilon factory until 2009 when Renault sold the majority of shares to GenII (after singapore) from that point on Renault became sole engine suppliers to F1 under the name "Renault Sport F1". Red Bull are used as the team for enhancing development and have been since 2006, that does not make it the "Factory Team" though!

The team Renault no longer exists in F1 so there isnt a "Factory Team" that could influence any racing between the likes of Kimi and Seb. Renault Sport F1 would not be allowed to enter F1 as a "Factory Team" given the parent company Renault-Nissan is a global brand that would massively benefit from sponsorship, they simply supply engines to F1 and use Red Bull as technical and development partner. If they wanted to enter as a Factory team they could use Nissan as a name rather than Renault. Renault-Nissan as a company havent had the money to compete in F1 for quite some time that why Renault Sport F1 was created

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept