Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 288576 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #2130 on: 26 March 2011, 16:37 »
Where? I dont actually see any benefit in them not having a full system since they are all limited to the same weight and they are all fixed into a single weight distribution (+/- a smaaaaallll percentage) so any weight saved cant really be repositioned to gain a better car balance. Also the gains in terms of C of G are likely to be bugger all as well if they are using a lighter system to get balast down low, assuming they could even find space to get it low without lifting other heavy components. Interesting, but probably subterfuge though I stand to be corrected.

They're not fixed to single weight distribution, it can be distributed to anywhere in the car.  The other reason is because it doesn't recharge through the brakes as it's charged in the pits only once before the start, it means braking feel is improved. The downside of this is that if they're in a fight against a KERS equipped car they'll be defenceless in the straights. 

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2131 on: 26 March 2011, 16:50 »
Where? I dont actually see any benefit in them not having a full system since they are all limited to the same weight and they are all fixed into a single weight distribution (+/- a smaaaaallll percentage) so any weight saved cant really be repositioned to gain a better car balance. Also the gains in terms of C of G are likely to be bugger all as well if they are using a lighter system to get balast down low, assuming they could even find space to get it low without lifting other heavy components. Interesting, but probably subterfuge though I stand to be corrected.

The KERS system is a good idea in my opinion and i think it will boost overtaking it'll give drives more confidence to make the move rather than waiting 10laps for the driver infront to make a mistake. It definitely needs more power thou!!

Afraid I have to completely dissagree with this, if everyone has it, it makes no difference hence part of the reason for them dropping it last time.
Look at it this way, the guy behind cant get close to you through corners due to the drop in downforce he expereinces due to your dirty air. This being the case, the only time he can gain is as soon as he is  running straight or isnt traction limited. If he then hits the Kers button, you see him gaining and press it too. Bearing in mind that you have got off the corner faster than the guy behind you due to his loss of grip and not being able to put the power down as early as you can, you cant fail to negate any advantage he might have gained before you noticed him pressing the button. Add in the fact that, by the time you have noticed him gaining he has run out of Kers power due to the pathetic power storage limits, if you press the Kers button now, you can in all probability hold the guy off despite the fact that drag increases with the square of speed and your rate of acceleration from the extra power boost will not be as high as his was momentarily. Its all pretty simply proved with a bit of maths. If some have it and some dont then thats a bit different but the fact they are power limited and all have it makes it a complete nonesense.

Out of a corner the car infront yes will have better traction so KERS will help the driver behind close the gap for another run onto the next straight or corner. If you remember the first season KERS was introduced it made a great advantage on certain tracks such as Spa, the Kemmel straight at the begining of the circuit showed some excellent racing with the aid of KERS. The drag will be minimised by KERS which could providing used at the right time give a "chasing" driver good run into some "clean" air, this is were KERS can give an advantage to the driver seeking to overtake. KERS has a completely different use in qualifying compaired to the race, a lot of strategy is used in the race. Tomorrow will show if the system is a benefit.

I dont know what Red Bull have done this year to acheive this level of performance?! Its increadible that the car has set a faster time than last years car! I would love to see what part of there set up is giving this performance gain, there design doesnt seem to have a particular outstanding component like the double diffuser

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline Tramp

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2132 on: 26 March 2011, 17:04 »
Tyre degradation with these Pirelli Tyres will pay a major part in this years F1. If this is the case we all know about Jenson Button. weather, Tyres, Crashes and realiability plays such a major part in the grand prix. Vettel only just won it last year not i think because he was not good enough but because of other factors.
I bet half the teams will ditch the new tails by the half of the season...Far to hard to judge and that split to early or late you are a gonna! :grin:

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #2133 on: 26 March 2011, 17:12 »
They're not fixed to single weight distribution, it can be distributed to anywhere in the car. 

Wrong, there is a fixed front to rear weight distribution this year to make both the teams and Pirelli's job easier. The systems are all instaled along the vehicle centreline also so there is no real benefits in terms of moving weight inward to aid turning either. There is certainly not room for 0.8 seconds worth of advantage in just moving this small amount of weight around whilst maintaining the mandated front rear balance lol.
FYI http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2011/0/828.html

Out of a corner the car infront yes will have better traction so KERS will NOT help the driver behind close the gap for another run onto the next straight or corner.

I have corrected that for you lol. As I say, the guy in front can get on the throttle earlier AND carry more speed onto a straight due to better front and rear grip. Assuming he has seen the guy behind comming and hasnt already spent his kers allowance for the lap he has more than enough room to counter the attack and block it off. I think the cases you mention were probably between Kers and non-Kers cars but my memory just isnt nearly that good, I certainly cant remember many people equiped with Kers repeatedly overtaking other Kers equiped cars though I can distinctly remember people without it being baulked repeatedly and very easily with perhaps only kobayashi and the brawns ever managing to do a Kers car but as I say, I dont really remember too clearly  :smiley:.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2011, 17:17 by DOA »

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2134 on: 26 March 2011, 17:15 »
Just had a read of planet F1 forum and there's an interesting thread regarding Red Bull's front wing.

Seb's wing is MUCH lower than anyone else's, including Webber's. Here is a pic of RB wing and McLaren at the same spot in the track.
http://twitpic.com/4df5oz
http://twitpic.com/4dfbx3

Also, when parked up Webber walked over to Vettel's car and had a close inspection of the front wing, camera angle JUST caught webber bending over the front of of the car to get a good look.

It'll be interesting to see how the wing story pans out, no doubt Ferrari and McLaren will update their wing for the next race or at the very least test a new wing during practice.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2135 on: 26 March 2011, 17:20 »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9436936.stm

Read there. Weight distribution is affected  :smiley:

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #2136 on: 26 March 2011, 17:35 »
Not by 0.8 seconds it isnt lol. Your only losing the charging system components which are all electrical and cooling based anyway, the motor unit remains the same and you still need pretty much the same quantity of batteries IMO. Your talking bugger all weight loss (maybe 5-10 kg max in a system that would normally weigh circa 40kg) which doesnt really allow you to do much with the polar moment of inertia of the whole car seeing as they are fixed front to rear (look at Mclaren with the amount of weight they have put away from the Cof G by using the radiator inlets they have used to get an aero benefit for the proof of the minimal effect). I just dont see the benefits but they are obviously up to something with their front wings, thats ridiculously apparent from them piccies lol. Anyway, it will all come out in the wash sooner rather than later.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #2137 on: 26 March 2011, 20:54 »
Sutil gave a good example of how not to use the movable rear wing in qualifying...  :shocked:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline RandomJord

• I live here
« Reply #2138 on: 26 March 2011, 21:05 »
Sutil gave a good example of how not to use the movable rear wing in qualifying...  :shocked:

Yeah, that was the best thing that's happened in years!
Skoda Octavia VRS DSG (soon!)
Skoda Rapid Spaceback

An a Signum for towing me old caravan!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #2139 on: 26 March 2011, 21:06 »

That was epic car control to keep it out of the wall!!!