Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 290127 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #1280 on: 13 July 2010, 07:54 »
I'm probably going to get shot down for this but here goes anyway.

Schumacher is certainly talented, that cannot be questioned, however....does no-one else think that part of his success could be attributed to his lack of real compitition? For example the top 10 in 1999 were (in no real order): Frentzen, Irvine, Barrichello, Fisichella, Coulthard, Herbert, Mika Salo, Verstappen, Ralph Scumacher and finally Michael.

In comparison at the moment he's competing with the likes of Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Rosberg, Kubica, Massa, Button and Webber. Had these great drivers been around in Schueys hay day might things have been different? I think so! Putting aside the fact that his car isn't great this season I think that theres no way he'd win 7 world championships against the caliber of drivers this season.

I think he's made a mistake returning to F1 it's going to make everyone question how good a driver he actually is.

Anyway that's two cents.....discuss!

I've always said this, and so I agree completely. The fact that he cheated and Ferrari had pretty much unlimited budget to develop and test was what made ferrari unbeatable. His lack of competition was the biggest factor though.

Offline 2001gti4

• Here all the time
« Reply #1281 on: 13 July 2010, 08:24 »
I think one of the most underrated drivers is Kubica. If the Webber situation gets worse, he could be a surprise showing in Red Bull next year if they can buy him out of his Renault contract  :lipsrsealed:

Kubica just signed a new 2 year deal and I'd be very surprised if he changes teams now, he's well happy with Renault and between them the results are pretty consistent. Why would he go to Red Bull to play second fiddle to Vettel?
My Golf is dead but at least I have this....

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #1282 on: 13 July 2010, 09:20 »
I'm probably going to get shot down for this but here goes anyway.

Schumacher is certainly talented, that cannot be questioned, however....does no-one else think that part of his success could be attributed to his lack of real compitition? For example the top 10 in 1999 were (in no real order): Frentzen, Irvine, Barrichello, Fisichella, Coulthard, Herbert, Mika Salo, Verstappen, Ralph Scumacher and finally Michael.

In comparison at the moment he's competing with the likes of Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Rosberg, Kubica, Massa, Button and Webber. Had these great drivers been around in Schueys hay day might things have been different? I think so! Putting aside the fact that his car isn't great this season I think that theres no way he'd win 7 world championships against the caliber of drivers this season.

I think he's made a mistake returning to F1 it's going to make everyone question how good a driver he actually is.

Anyway that's two cents.....discuss!

Completely disagree!
Schumcher has been up against some great drivers in his time, Damon Hill, Mika Hakkenin, Montoya (in his good years), SENNA!, Nigal Mansell, Alain Prost...
And lets not forget Schumacher against Rikonnen and Alonso back in him last years, Button and Webber were also in the feild back then (obviously not in competative cars)

Schumacher was loved for his competative edge, he was one of the most agressive drivers in F1 ever! There are countless times i remember watching shumacher going wheel to wheel with the greats, my most memorable was Silverstone 2006 when him and Rikonnen completed 2 full laps wheel to wheel, end result Schumi finished ahead of Rikonnen but 1 behind Alonso,

It must be difficult for him to adapt to the new breed of F1 car but i think if he was in a Ferrari, Mclaren or Red Bull now he would be a major competitor for the championship

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #1283 on: 13 July 2010, 09:26 »
the only person schumacher can be directly compared to is rosberg, and horney has already put the head to head stats up showing schumi taking a whooping. if you can't beat your team mate it doesn't matter what car you drive

whatever the reason is, he is not the driver he was 5 years ago unfortunately

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #1284 on: 13 July 2010, 09:43 »
I dont think he's the best. I just think he has a bit more to give, we'll just have to wait and see

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #1285 on: 13 July 2010, 10:21 »
I think one of the most underrated drivers is Kubica. If the Webber situation gets worse, he could be a surprise showing in Red Bull next year if they can buy him out of his Renault contract  :lipsrsealed:

^^^ The next driver you will see in a Red Bull after Mark Webber is Kimi Räikkönen. You heard it here first.

Red Bull seem to be paying the bills for Räikkönen's crashing rallying career, judging on the amount of sponsorship gear he wears with their colours.
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #1286 on: 13 July 2010, 10:34 »

:grin:

i'm not sure if kimi will return as he seems to be enjoying himself in the wrc. his pace on tarmac is certainly impressive! i swear i even saw a little smile on the coverage this weekend  :shocked: (it could have been a fart though)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #1287 on: 13 July 2010, 11:37 »
Kimi won't come back. He is talented but not very competitive and is caught sleeping half the season. Only reason he won the 2007 championship is because Alonso and Hamilton shot each other down at Mclaren.

He is also know for his habit of breaking engines, I swear he blew one every few races  :laugh:

Offline Devilz

• I live here
  • Cruisin is not a crime
« Reply #1288 on: 13 July 2010, 14:39 »
Too much hatred in this thread towards every driver other than Hamilton n button cause both are British   :drool:

Everyone here seems to back mclaren drivers but I don't think they are that good. Last year Hamilton was no where because his car was not fast enough. Same goes with button prior to last year where he win his first and probably last championship due to supremacy of Ross Brawn. Nobody knew him when he use to drive for Honda.

Also in 08 Massa almost had him in brazil and what Lewis did, just drove to keep 5 th position so he can win the championship
« Last Edit: 13 July 2010, 14:42 by Devilz »

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #1289 on: 13 July 2010, 15:16 »
And both are currently 1st and 2nd in the title race  . . . .. :rolleyes: