Author Topic: MK5 GTI - Cambelt  (Read 54311 times)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: MK5 GTI - Cambelt
« Reply #70 on: 08 April 2009, 13:31 »

I strongly disagree with your comment that it is only VW UK who have downwards revised to the 4 year mark!

Call VW UK and ask them if they took the decision to change this independantly or if they were told to change this by VW Germany

Yes its part rubber, not strawberry lace!  Unless its been contaminated by oil the belts will last much longer than 4 years.

Disagree again.  OK, I accept that oil contamination on a rubber belt is going to cause issues, but then any 'oil leak' is way outside the scope of 'routine maintenance' or 'scheduled servicing'.  Oil leaks, and their co-related problems need repairing under a term such as 'unscheduled repairs'.

It is made of strawbery lace?!  :shocked:

An oil leak an unscheduled repair?  Nah, now you're just being silly.

As has been repeatedly said, rubber naturally deteriorates over time due to the natural atmosphere.  Ozone is one of the worst causes of rubber deterioration, and then closely followed is oxygen.  Now if you want to kill off all human and animal life on this planet by removing the natural 20% of oxygen present in the earths atmosphere - then you are probably a better scientist than Steven Hawkins, and all the other boffins combined!  So, in the interests of preserving life, I would rather keep that oxygen in the atmosphere, and continue to bite the bullet and replace rubber components every 4-6 years!  :tongue:

WTF are you on about.  4-6 years.  So 5 years is OK....like I suggested then  :rolleyes:

Even if you pushed it to 6 years I don't think the rubber is going to degrade that much.  CAVEAT - you don't drive like a nob, granny or anything other than a sensible person on average milage.  I'M IN NO WAY SUGGESTING you should leave it for 6 years.

That said I guess there is an argument that frequent starts more typical of low mileage are harder on the belt than constant driving high mileage.

I do tend to agree with that.  But what about the 'boy racer' who thrashes his car.  Or the idiot who thinks it is cool to rev the engine over 3000rpm without any load, or the doddery old farts who never get the car warm enough to burn off any atmospheric contaminents away (and these not necessarily need to be 'frequent start' or 'short journey' - they can actually be long journeys, but are just too scared of exceeding 2,000 rpms, incase it uses more fuel or some other stupid reasons these slow cnuts seem to use).  Because all these scenarios will also have a negative effect on the longevitiy of the belt.

I think we're broadly in agreement here.  I just don't have the time to list every caveat and exception  :sad:

5-6 years, 60k is a sensible time to change.

Again, I don't mind agreeing with that - but providing you take into account my other concerns raised.
Brilliant - thanks  :smiley:

If they were nylon belts I could see the sense but ASFAIK they are not (on the 2.0T FSI anyway).

WTF are you on about? :shocked:  Timing belts have NEVER used nylon - have you been wearing your grannies tights?  :evil:  All timing belts use continuous strands of kevlar or aramid as a strengthening 'spine', and are simply encased in rubber.  But the teeth are generally devoid of any continuous reinforcement - which is why the teeth shear off.

I stand corrected - but the comment came from my understanding that GM tried a nylon/plastic belt.  They would snap after 30k aparantly and were swiftly bined.  :undecided:

Thanks to long life servicing VW are not seeing as much service related monies coming through the door and have changed the belt schedule to generate a bit more cashflow.

That is just a cynical, ill-informed POV.

I'll come back to that - its the essence of my whole standpoint.

I appreciate some of you are taking the safe road without question, and in the words of our resident philosopher, ETTO, hail mary etc.  But if VW changed it to 3 years?  2 years?  would you still blindly follow this advice without question?  Maybe wonder why this change in schedule has not been implemented world wide?

You still have no proof that 'worldwide' VWs interval is still 120,000 miles!  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I never claimed the 120k miles was a world wide thing, I just know thats what it states in my service booklet.

But you now seem to be verging on the rediculous - afterall, what evidence can you provide that either VW, or ANY manufacturer has ever recommended, or might even be considering altering the schedule to 3 years?  Absolutely none. :rolleyes:

Read it again to absorb the rhetorical nature of that question.

If it is the case that belts are now failing earlier than expected and there is a sound technical reason why VW have implemented this change then you still have to ask the question why are VW now churning out shyte belts?  Why are we taking a step backwards here?

First, Volkswagen do NOT make timing belts.  They use ContiTech, probably one THE most highly regarded timing belt manufacturer in the world!  :smug:

Next, VWs own 120,000 miles change interval was just pure 'pigs might fly' - simply to artificially create to the motoring press and fleet managers of how cheap their cars were to maintain.  Once the Mk5 Golf GTI, and all the associated TFSI engine users 'honeymoon period' was over with the press and fleet managers - then VW sensibly revised their cam belt change intervals to co-incide with the industry standard norms.

But you still completely miss the point.  A cam belt change is . . . .

'preventative maintenance' ! ! ! !

So we shouldn't believe VW when they say to change at 120k but we should when they say 4 years?  I hope that isn't ill informed cynacism  :rolleyes:

The thing is we seem to be in broad agreement that 5 years / 60k is sensible.

My issue is not at all with those who want to play it safe, especially with such a critical part.  I fully accept and agree that changing the belt early is a good thing....but lets not go nuts.

My issue is with VW changing to 4 years.  In your experience, as a retired mechanic, how many timing belt failed at or around 4 years (lets assume normal milage) and negating outside influences like oil, failure of some other part.  I'm talking about plain wear and tear?  I suspect none.

Thats why I think they are treating the customers harshly here by "forcing" them to change their belts - at not insignificant cost - earlier than strictly necessary.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #71 on: 08 April 2009, 13:32 »
At the end of the day, its down to you as the driver and owner to maintain you vehicle and make decisions. All we, as deales can do is ADVISE you on matters. Thats what VW ask us to do.

The after 4 years condition has only just been brough in, cant remember how many years now, but in a way im sure theyre just tying to cover their backs. Everyone knows what the outcome can be if it isnt changed, and with the material used for the belt, like anything, you just dont know when it could snap.. so why wait?

You are so right there Caz - and quite brainy for a lass (dons flack jacket and runs for cover!  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:).  :kiss:  :kiss:  :kiss:  :kiss:

haha, thanks  :smiley: nice to know VW have trianed me well.. and that i actually retain all the information.lol

finding your knowledge interesting though too..  :smiley:

Obviously not blonde then!  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

:kiss:  :kiss:  :kiss:  :kiss:

So you actually work for a dub stealer?  That is good to know!  :wink:  :smiley:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Trickyboy

• Here all the time
  • MK5 GTi 3dr Reflex Silver
« Reply #72 on: 08 April 2009, 13:51 »
A really well informed and interesting thread this.

Offline Caz

• GTI forum regular
  • VW Golf GT Sport TDi, Mk5, 08 plate
« Reply #73 on: 08 April 2009, 13:59 »
At the end of the day, its down to you as the driver and owner to maintain you vehicle and make decisions. All we, as deales can do is ADVISE you on matters. Thats what VW ask us to do.

The after 4 years condition has only just been brough in, cant remember how many years now, but in a way im sure theyre just tying to cover their backs. Everyone knows what the outcome can be if it isnt changed, and with the material used for the belt, like anything, you just dont know when it could snap.. so why wait?

You are so right there Caz - and quite brainy for a lass (dons flack jacket and runs for cover!  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:).  :kiss:  :kiss:  :kiss:  :kiss:

haha, thanks  :smiley: nice to know VW have trianed me well.. and that i actually retain all the information.lol

So you actually work for a dub stealer?  That is good to know!  :wink:  :smiley:

LOL no, not blonde..
And yeah I work for a 'stealer' lol 2 years into it..lol

You know, the more I read this thread, the more it becomes apparant, that for most, I think it's just a lack of knowledge and understanding as to why some people are questioning the cambelt thing..
Thats not to be taken wrong/badly by anyone.. I just think everyone could take a lot of knowledge about of this from Mr T T..
** it's nearly a GTi .. **

Offline No Golf Clubs at all

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 08 April 2009, 14:36 »
Ok you clever lot...riddle me this.

Why are VW UK reducing the timescales on the cambelt change when VW DE are not? What is so corrosive about our climate that makes our cars more susceptible to rubber wear and tear?

I agree wholeheartedly with Preventive Maintenance, I love looking after my car however at an extra £400 a pop from each MK5, (what was the unit sales in VWs that this applies to?) then thats a whacking amount into the dealer system. Someone else can do the math.

Dont mind paying up, but if this is some jumped up suit in marketing coming up with a lets give the stealers some cash then it makes me a little...errr peeved.

Let the fun begin........Red Gti, full colour coding, DSG, Xenons, Winter pack, Lux pack, Highline, Sat Nav, Sunroof, Leather, Milltek, ABT rear valance, Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics....pescaras :-)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #75 on: 08 April 2009, 14:56 »

I strongly disagree with your comment that it is only VW UK who have downwards revised to the 4 year mark!

Call VW UK and ask them if they took the decision to change this independantly or if they were told to change this by VW Germany

That's your call, not mine.  I certainly don't have any 'problem' with VW UK revising a wildy stupid 120k interval.  :wink:

But in all honesty, being as "Volkswagen Group United Kingdom Limited" (which covers VW UK, Audi UK, etc) are a 'wholly owned subsidiary' of "Volkswagen AG" - I honestly doubt that VW UK would be any different to Germany - because the cars all use bits from the same parts bins.

Yes its part rubber, not strawberry lace!  Unless its been contaminated by oil the belts will last much longer than 4 years.

Disagree again.  OK, I accept that oil contamination on a rubber belt is going to cause issues, but then any 'oil leak' is way outside the scope of 'routine maintenance' or 'scheduled servicing'.  Oil leaks, and their co-related problems need repairing under a term such as 'unscheduled repairs'.

It is made of strawbery lace?!  :shocked:

An oil leak an unscheduled repair?  Nah, now you're just being silly.

LOL.  Time to draw a line in the sand on that one!  :smiley:

As has been repeatedly said, rubber naturally deteriorates over time due to the natural atmosphere.  Ozone is one of the worst causes of rubber deterioration, and then closely followed is oxygen.  Now if you want to kill off all human and animal life on this planet by removing the natural 20% of oxygen present in the earths atmosphere - then you are probably a better scientist than Steven Hawkins, and all the other boffins combined!  So, in the interests of preserving life, I would rather keep that oxygen in the atmosphere, and continue to bite the bullet and replace rubber components every 4-6 years!  :tongue:

WTF are you on about.  4-6 years.  So 5 years is OK....like I suggested then  :rolleyes:

Now you are taking me out of context by mis-quoting me!  :wink:

Even if you pushed it to 6 years I don't think the rubber is going to degrade that much.  CAVEAT - you don't drive like a nob, granny or anything other than a sensible person on average milage.  I'M IN NO WAY SUGGESTING you should leave it for 6 years.

I honestly think you'll be surprised just how badly rubber is affected by aging.  Go and look at tyres on a caravan site, or even at an caravan dealer forcourt - many tyres will be knackerd from age-cracking of the surface of the sidewall and tread area, yet they may still have a full 8mm of tread.  And if you ever change these types of tyres, the rubber on the outer surface can crumble off on the tyre changer, yet on the inside of the tyre (which hasn't been affected by ozone, UV radiation, etc) will still look brand new.

So if you waited at the gates of Wolfsburg, and registered your car the day it left the factory - then 6 years would be 99.9% reasonable for the cam belt.  But 99.9% of cars are NOT registered like that.  My own GTI left the factory gates on 13 June, but wasnt registered until the 1st of September (waiting for the new reg plates) - so that is 2½ months of 'lost time', and I doubt that most cars are even registered as swiftly as that.

But I think we are both getting a little bogged down now - if anyone does get their timing belt done at 4 years, rather than an ideal 5 years, or a 'pushing it' 6 years - then they aint really doing any harm.  And a GTI timing belt change isn't really expensive either - they are one of the easier ones to do.  As the old saying goes, 'if in doubt, it is better to be safe than sorry' .  :wink:

That said I guess there is an argument that frequent starts more typical of low mileage are harder on the belt than constant driving high mileage.

I do tend to agree with that.  But what about the 'boy racer' who thrashes his car.  Or the idiot who thinks it is cool to rev the engine over 3000rpm without any load, or the doddery old farts who never get the car warm enough to burn off any atmospheric contaminents away (and these not necessarily need to be 'frequent start' or 'short journey' - they can actually be long journeys, but are just too scared of exceeding 2,000 rpms, incase it uses more fuel or some other stupid reasons these slow cnuts seem to use).  Because all these scenarios will also have a negative effect on the longevitiy of the belt.

I think we're broadly in agreement here.  I just don't have the time to list every caveat and exception  :sad:

:afro:

5-6 years, 60k is a sensible time to change.

Again, I don't mind agreeing with that - but providing you take into account my other concerns raised.
Brilliant - thanks  :smiley:

:afro:

If they were nylon belts I could see the sense but ASFAIK they are not (on the 2.0T FSI anyway).

WTF are you on about? :shocked:  Timing belts have NEVER used nylon - have you been wearing your grannies tights?  :evil:  All timing belts use continuous strands of kevlar or aramid as a strengthening 'spine', and are simply encased in rubber.  But the teeth are generally devoid of any continuous reinforcement - which is why the teeth shear off.

I stand corrected - but the comment came from my understanding that GM tried a nylon/plastic belt.  They would snap after 30k aparantly and were swiftly bined.  :undecided:

Ah, now you have got that wrong!  The GM issue wasn't the actual belt (they still had the kevlar) - the 'nylon issue' was simply the idler rollers.  They actually tried to use a nylon/plastic composite 'working surface' on the idler rollers - and whilst the reasons behind their use was sound, when they failed, they failed big time.  The rollers basically 'exploded' without any warning, and without any 'logic' either.  The worst engine to be affected was the 1.8 X18XE1 - used in virtually every Vauxhall/Opel product.  I have changed many GM nylon rollers at 40k miles, and they look perfect (even when chemically cleaned and inspected under a magnifying glass) - yet the few I changed at 60k looked quite scary, basically riddled with virtually microscopic cracks.

But AFAIK, VAG never used nylon in their cam belt rollers.

Thanks to long life servicing VW are not seeing as much service related monies coming through the door and have changed the belt schedule to generate a bit more cashflow.

That is just a cynical, ill-informed POV.

I'll come back to that - its the essence of my whole standpoint.

Have I missed sommat then?  :huh:

I appreciate some of you are taking the safe road without question, and in the words of our resident philosopher, ETTO, hail mary etc.  But if VW changed it to 3 years?  2 years?  would you still blindly follow this advice without question?  Maybe wonder why this change in schedule has not been implemented world wide?

You still have no proof that 'worldwide' VWs interval is still 120,000 miles!  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I never claimed the 120k miles was a world wide thing, I just know thats what it states in my service booklet.

Huh - I thought you DID claim it was worldwide?  Anyway . . . . flogging a dead horse and all that!

But you now seem to be verging on the rediculous - afterall, what evidence can you provide that either VW, or ANY manufacturer has ever recommended, or might even be considering altering the schedule to 3 years?  Absolutely none. :rolleyes:

Read it again to absorb the rhetorical nature of that question.

I don't do 'rhetoric' - I find that it opens too many cans of worms!

. . . . to be continued, due to exceeding max message length
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 08 April 2009, 14:58 »
 . . . continued . . .

If it is the case that belts are now failing earlier than expected and there is a sound technical reason why VW have implemented this change then you still have to ask the question why are VW now churning out shyte belts?  Why are we taking a step backwards here?

First, Volkswagen do NOT make timing belts.  They use ContiTech, probably one THE most highly regarded timing belt manufacturer in the world!  :smug:

Next, VWs own 120,000 miles change interval was just pure 'pigs might fly' - simply to artificially create to the motoring press and fleet managers of how cheap their cars were to maintain.  Once the Mk5 Golf GTI, and all the associated TFSI engine users 'honeymoon period' was over with the press and fleet managers - then VW sensibly revised their cam belt change intervals to co-incide with the industry standard norms.

But you still completely miss the point.  A cam belt change is . . . .

'preventative maintenance' ! ! ! !

So we shouldn't believe VW when they say to change at 120k but we should when they say 4 years?  I hope that isn't ill informed cynacism  :rolleyes:

Interesting train of thought!  But personally, I had absolutely no doubt that 120k was unreasonable - so I never believed it anyway.  And 4 years isn't a big deal to me either.

And I think that it is common knowledge in the independent motor trade that 120k is really fairy-tale suggestions, simply to 'suck in' prospective new car owners with the (unreasonable) suggestion of low maintenance costs.  Because lets face it, how many 'first owners' (ie orginal owner on the cars V5) actually make it any where near 100k miles, let alone 120k miles.  Those kinds of mileages will usually be 2nd, 3rd, 4th ect owners.  And even with the more suitable and reasonable 60k change, then the vast majority will still be in the 2nd hand market, so still not affecting the orignal owner.

At the end of the day, I just think that the vast majority of the motoring public simply think that modern cars are actually 'maintenance free' - and so when they get advised of an 'expensive job' like a cam belt, they get all ar$ey.  Just ask yourself how many of your neighbours you can actually see lifting their bonnets every weekend to check their fluids, and once a month to check their tyre pressures and exterior lights?  :lipsrsealed:

The thing is we seem to be in broad agreement that 5 years / 60k is sensible.

My issue is not at all with those who want to play it safe, especially with such a critical part.  I fully accept and agree that changing the belt early is a good thing....but lets not go nuts.

Fairy-nuff.  But I still don't think that 4years is going 'nuts', especially when you discover the true history of some of these motorpoint and other GTI imports.

4year cambelt change - nuts? No.  Cautious? Yep.

5years would be better - but at the risk of still allowing a high proportion to slip through the net, and not actually get done until the 6year/60k service.  Beyond that, and it is a slippery slope.

My issue is with VW changing to 4 years.

Then VW are damned if they do, damned if they don't!

So what if they just left it at 120k miles, and just said 'fcuk-em' to anyone whos belt went?

Maybe the real crux of the issue is that VW Germany now have some 'real world' data (rather than artificial test labs), and it is showing that the belts are failing maybe around the 60k, 70k, or even 80k mark.  So even if the belts were letting go at 80k - then to downwards revise it to 60k miles would still be cutting it way to fine.  Afterall, I'm sure we all know that when a cam belt fails, it is catastrophic.  But it is very different for a spark plug or air filter - so what if a spark plug fails?  OK, you may get a misfire, or you might even get the MIL on, and need a tow-truck.  The damage to your wallet will only be the very same cost of the spark plugs - a major difference to the effects of a cam belt failure.

At the end of the day, us mere minions will never know the exact reasons why they decided on 4 years - but we should all at least be glad they have actually been sensible enough to be proactive, even if it does add an extra £300 every 4 years to our maintenance bills.  :wink:

In your experience, as a retired mechanic, how many timing belt failed at or around 4 years (lets assume normal milage) and negating outside influences like oil, failure of some other part.  I'm talking about plain wear and tear?  I suspect none.

None, absolutely none.

But again, you miss the fundamental issue.  Relying on 'experience', if I were to say, test spark plugs, and I tried to run them for 100k miles - then I might say find they were failing at 80k miles.  So, reacting to that, first, no other damage was done to the engine, and only the plugs themselves were affected (appart from the associated inconveniences of failed plugs) - I then decide to downgrade the miles.  Knowing that they failed at 80k, I might say that to lower it to 70k would be pushing it a little close (to account for any 'rogue' plugs that might fail at 70k) - so I change it to 60k miles.  So all things considered and duly amended - I happily run for years, covering multiples of 60k miles plug changes, but still get an occasional plug failure.  This isn't really a problem.

So looking at the fundamental issues between spark plugs and cam belts - when one fails, it is catastropic, but the other is just a minor inconvenience.  Another issue is the ease of changing cam belts and spark plugs.  Most reasonably competent peeps would not have any probs changing their own plugs, even at half the recommended schedule (just like many do with oil changes) - but how many 'home mechanics' will do a cambelt change?  The vast majority will shy away, and either send it to the stealer, or to an indpendent garage.

Thats why I think they are treating the customers harshly here by "forcing" them to change their belts - at not insignificant cost - earlier than strictly necessary.

I don't really see any 'force' being used.  And at the end of the day, then technically, every single item changed during routine maintenance is 'earlier than strictly necessary'!  :tongue:  But how many peeps do you hear whinging about having their brake pads changed, when they still have 2 or 3 mil of friction lining left?  :lipsrsealed:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #77 on: 08 April 2009, 15:04 »

LOL no, not blonde..

TPIWWP !!!  :wink:

And yeah I work for a 'stealer' lol 2 years into it..lol

On the shiny side or oily side?

You know, the more I read this thread, the more it becomes apparant, that for most, I think it's just a lack of knowledge and understanding as to why some people are questioning the cambelt thing..
Thats not to be taken wrong/badly by anyone..

Yup, sometimes you just gotta sit em on your lap and spoon-feed them!  :grin:

But it's when you lean em over your shoulder and rub their backs to release their wind - and they honk up all over you . . .  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

I just think everyone could take a lot of knowledge about of this from Mr T T..

Awwww, fanks.  :kiss:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Caz

• GTI forum regular
  • VW Golf GT Sport TDi, Mk5, 08 plate
« Reply #78 on: 08 April 2009, 15:12 »
what point are you proving by asking for figures..  :huh:

tbh, i think your barking up the wrong tree.. if you seriously have a problem with the way the vehicle is manufactured, then go to germany and see for yourself or make it yourself, THEN YOU can set the bounderies and take the flack when it all goes wrong.. thats the only way youll undertsand or apparently be happy.
If you think its over priced thats your opinion, I personaly would only be bothered by price if i had a touren or touareg...
Maybes your next car should be a Polo, everything dead cheap on them...
« Last Edit: 08 April 2009, 15:22 by Caz »
** it's nearly a GTi .. **

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #79 on: 08 April 2009, 15:27 »
Ok you clever lot...riddle me this.

Why are VW UK reducing the timescales on the cambelt change when VW DE are not? What is so corrosive about our climate that makes our cars more susceptible to rubber wear and tear?

But where is the evidence that VW Germany are still at 120k miles (or 180k kilometers) for the belt change.

I very strongly doubt that ANYONE (and I mean VW AG, main dealer techs, and indie techs) would ever allow a belt to go 120k miles!

I agree wholeheartedly with Preventive Maintenance, I love looking after my car however at an extra £400 a pop from each MK5, (what was the unit sales in VWs that this applies to?) then thats a whacking amount into the dealer system. Someone else can do the math.

I don't quite get all of your points, but even if it is £400, that is only an extra £100 a year.  The 'One Eyed Jock' and his corrupt gov't could sting the motorist with far worse, and has done - just ask R32 owners about the round bit of paper in their windscreen.

Anyway, with some haggling, you could get a cambelt change down to £250, or £290 at the max - a small price to pay for piece of mind on a high performance car.  Just be thankful you dont have four rings and an "RS" badge, or a BMW M car - then you will really cringe at maintenace costs.

Here ya go, my front brake pads on my RS4 cost £900 a set - parts only price.  :shocked:  I bet that would make you cry in your coco pops if you had to pay that on any VW!

Ahh, unit costs - I think I got you.  OK, let us just make up a scenario.  Let us say the timing belt will definately fail at 100k miles (this is ONLY guessing).  With this 'new' 4year cambelt change - you pay VW £400 at 4yrs/40k miles, the same again at 8 yrs, and again at 12yrs/120k miles.  So, over that same 120k period from the previous 'guidance', VW have made £1200 from you.  What if you dig your heels in, raise your middle finger, and say nope, book says belt change at 120miles (which you could still legally do, though you would be an absolute fool!).  But then the belt snaps at 100k miles.  All 16 valves are wrecked, all four pistons are knackered, and you have two bent con-rods (all perfectly feasable from a timing belt failure).  That is an engine out and complete stripdown and rebuild.  Your car may be in the shop for one to two weeks (waiting for the correct spec bits to arrive).  The total bill comes to £2800 (again, not at all unreasonable for such a major job).

So which scenario above has VW made the most money from you?  If you can't work it out, they make more money by NOT changing the belt, leaving it to reach 120k miles, and then doing a major engine re-build.  Game over.  :lipsrsealed:

Dont mind paying up, but if this is some jumped up suit in marketing coming up with a lets give the stealers some cash then it makes me a little...errr peeved.

Sorry, but don't agree.  The stealers have many other tricks of milking cash from us - but early cam belt changes are NOT one of them.
-----

I feel like a homo