Author Topic: MK5 GTI - Cambelt  (Read 54314 times)

Offline Toptrump

• Just got here
Re: MK5 GTI - Cambelt
« Reply #40 on: 07 April 2009, 19:31 »
I had my car in for a MOT last week and got told by the dealer that the GTI was due a cambelt change as it was four years old.  The car has only covered 39k and to be fair I think it is a little extreme to be looking at a cambelt right now, just feels as if it is another excuse to extract another bucket load of cash from me.  :sad:

It will have to wait until at least the summer anyway since it costs so much money.  It seems every time I get a new car that magic cambelt figure gets earlier and earlier.  Must be the only component they can't manage to make last a bit longer.  :grin:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #41 on: 07 April 2009, 19:38 »
I had my car in for a MOT last week and got told by the dealer that the GTI was due a cambelt change as it was four years old.  The car has only covered 39k and to be fair I think it is a little extreme to be looking at a cambelt right now, just feels as if it is another excuse to extract another bucket load of cash from me.  :sad:

It will have to wait until at least the summer anyway since it costs so much money.  It seems every time I get a new car that magic cambelt figure gets earlier and earlier.  Must be the only component they can't manage to make last a bit longer.  :grin:

Sorry, but you skimp on cambelt changes at your perril.  Cambelts, just like tyres, contain rubber - and rubber is considerably more prone do deterioration over just a timescale (rather than mileage).  Just look at tyres on caravans when they get old - they can still have 8mm of tread, yet are shagged because the rubber has "age-deteriorated".
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #42 on: 07 April 2009, 20:05 »
^^^^
T_T is absolutely right! Don't change it at your peril!! VERY expensive to sort out later if it goes pear-shaped.

WELCOME BACK T_T - I hope you are feeling much better (for now at least) :afro:
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Toptrump

• Just got here
« Reply #43 on: 07 April 2009, 20:11 »
I understand what your saying, and it will get done as soon as it can be afforded.  The point I am trying to make is, how is it that over the years these things have suddenly slipped forward several years and many thousand of miles.  10 years ago cars were going on to 60k and over 5 years before they changed them.  And here we are surely with new and better ways to actually produce the same item with modem technologies and methods?  It just feels like car dealers are making new ways to extract money from you time and time again.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 07 April 2009, 20:28 »
I agree that the 4 years is more to do with the dealers coffers than any technical reason.  Don't agree with the 120k change either mind, I think 60k is far more appropriate.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #45 on: 07 April 2009, 20:47 »

I understand what your saying, and it will get done as soon as it can be afforded.  The point I am trying to make is, how is it that over the years these things have suddenly slipped forward several years and many thousand of miles.  10 years ago cars were going on to 60k and over 5 years before they changed them.  And here we are surely with new and better ways to actually produce the same item with modem technologies and methods?  It just feels like car dealers are making new ways to extract money from you time and time again.

....T_T would be able to explain in more detail why but as vehicle technology changes, so do factors regarding servicing. Some parts need to be changed earlier and others later than before.

If you think negatively and are full of mistrust of every car dealer (and indeed anyone else), then you'll both feel negative and encourage mistrust from others.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Trickyboy

• Here all the time
  • MK5 GTi 3dr Reflex Silver
« Reply #46 on: 07 April 2009, 21:05 »

....T_T would be able to explain in more detail why but as vehicle technology changes, so do factors regarding servicing. Some parts need to be changed earlier and others later than before.

If you think negatively and are full of mistrust of every car dealer (and indeed anyone else), then you'll both feel negative and encourage mistrust from others.

Wise words Mr Robin.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 07 April 2009, 21:06 »

Did you get that from a fortune cookie  :grin:

It is a little suspect - especially when you consider that this 4 year rule was only introduced in the UK.  Not by VW in any other country.  Everywhere else it remains (as stated in the service book) inspect after 60k (and I'd personaly always replace at this mileage) and replace at 120k miles.  Is our air really that corrosive  :rolleyes:

How does that make any sense anyway, who does 120k in 4 years?!  Hardly anyone, thats who!  
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Trickyboy

• Here all the time
  • MK5 GTi 3dr Reflex Silver
« Reply #48 on: 07 April 2009, 21:11 »

Did you get that from a fortune cookie  :grin:

It is a little suspect - especially when you consider that this 4 year rule was only introduced in the UK.  Not by VW in any other country.  Everywhere else it remains (as stated in the service book) inspect after 60k (and I'd personaly always replace at this mileage) and replace at 120k miles.  Is our air really that corrosive  :rolleyes:

How does that make any sense anyway, who does 120k in 4 years?!  Hardly anyone, thats who!  

If you live in Port Talbot you have to change it every 6 months! :grin: You'll know what i mean if you've ever been there!

Offline smartypants

• Here all the time
« Reply #49 on: 07 April 2009, 23:03 »
It seems to be a big issue this cambelt on modern 4-cyl engines! I know my brother had the same with his Fabia vRS

My last two cars (Z3 2.2 and Mondeo 2.5 V6) both had cam chains - never need changing. The only things I changed on the Z3 in 100k miles was the break pads and discs. Why can't they make cars like this anymore!? :(