Author Topic: MK5 GTI - Cambelt  (Read 54348 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
Re: MK5 GTI - Cambelt
« Reply #130 on: 28 April 2009, 21:21 »

I agree with Robin.

It becomes even more important to stick to a correct servicing regime when you do a remap etc. If not even shortening the servicing frequency. :smiley:

....Constantly agreeing with me and saying how great my GTI looks isn't going to get you my Recaros! :evil:

But, yes, shortening the servicing frequency is good practice for a modded car. Every 10k for oil and every 20k for plugs for me.

:afro:
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline keyser

• Not said much yet
  • They're only the band the beatles could've been.
« Reply #131 on: 28 April 2009, 21:42 »
Currently have just over 50,000 miles and service light is on.  Taking it to an independent on Friday who says that he will look at belt but says it is unlikely it will need changing for another 10,000 miles even though car is 4 years old in June.  Just an oil change and a few bit and bobs.  £85 including longlife oil on the T&D schedule.
MK5 GTI, manual, silver, dirty pipes.

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #132 on: 28 April 2009, 22:24 »
^^^^
@ keyser:

Make sure he fits the whole cambelt kit and not just the belt. It's all somewhere earlier in this thread.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline keyser

• Not said much yet
  • They're only the band the beatles could've been.
« Reply #133 on: 28 April 2009, 23:02 »
Will do,  RR.  Cheers
MK5 GTI, manual, silver, dirty pipes.

Offline DPG

• Not said much yet
« Reply #134 on: 15 September 2009, 13:20 »

Sorry to bring back an old thread...

I recently (6 weeks ago) bought my car from a VW main dealer (05 GTI 40,000 miles) and was told that it had just been serviced prior to the sale and that it was all up to date.

After looking on the log book it seems they only did a minor service.

Should i be pestering them for a discount on the belt change as;

a) The car is over 4 years old

b) They told me that it had just been serviced and was fully up to date.

I've got a feeling they will just refer me to the service book which say 60,000 miles.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #135 on: 15 September 2009, 13:31 »
Id get them to change it. If they refer you to the service book, then phone up VW UK, get them to confirm in writing how they decided t change their minds and take it back to the dealer and refer this to them and tell them the car isnt up to date, please change the belt :)

Thats what I would do anyway.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #136 on: 15 September 2009, 13:37 »
I recently (6 weeks ago) bought my car from a VW main dealer (05 GTI 40,000 miles) and was told that it had just been serviced prior to the sale and that it was all up to date.

thats the key word right there

A service is very different from a cambelt change.  If they said to you they were changing the cambelt and they haven't then get them to do it.

If all they said they were going to do was service the car then you'll be hard pushed to get the cambelt done FOC  :sad:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #137 on: 15 September 2009, 13:40 »
I see what your saying Rhyso, but they are also saying the car is all up to date (which you want if you are buying from a dealer) which it isn't as the cambelt is due  . . . .

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #138 on: 15 September 2009, 13:44 »
I see what your saying Rhyso, but they are also saying the car is all up to date (which you want if you are buying from a dealer) which it isn't as the cambelt is due  . . . .

I've got a feeling they will just refer me to the service book which say 60,000 miles.

thats what the dealer will most likely point out.............

Its worth pushing for it but its possibly unlikely the dealer will give in  :undecided:

Offline DPG

• Not said much yet
« Reply #139 on: 15 September 2009, 13:44 »
As the service book says its due at 60,000 miles and no one has told me any different, if the belt was to snap wouldnt this be covered under the used car warrenty?

As far as i know there isnt anything telling me its 60,000 miles or 4 years in the service book.