Author Topic: strut brace and K&N air filter??  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Row

• Not said much yet
strut brace and K&N air filter??
« on: 10 July 2004, 15:52 »
Hi,
I know this is silly but can someone tell me what a strut brace is for please?  ???
Also, is it worth me getting a new K&N air filter on my 1981 mk1 gti?
Cheers
 :)

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
Re:strut brace and K&N air filter??
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2004, 17:57 »
A strut brace will improve the rigidity of the car and therefore improve the handling.
A K&N filter will work well when coupled with a better exhaust system, some will say drilling the airbox helps too.
Its all about getting the air in and getting the gases out, so any improvement in either will help.
FYI - you can only replace the panel filter on a mk1, you cannot use an induction kit.
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2004, 17:06 »

FYI - you can only replace the panel filter on a mk1, you cannot use an induction kit.

as with 16v's, and early 8v's with kjet

Offline 8valvesgood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2004, 20:13 »
you can get strut braces front upper, lower front and rear braces, like adam says it improves the rigidity of the car. your effectively removing additional flex in a car body, too much though with big wheels and it will drive very hard and you will feel every bump, sleeping policeman will feel like driving over elephants.

i took the strut brace off my cab when i bought it, it looked nice but it amplified any bump, it made working on the engine more difficult and it caught against the bonnet. if your going to buy one check out the different ones first for fitment some are angled and bent to allow access to adjust your engine better with it on.

K&N panel filters are good, the drilling the airbox works and gives you a modest induction rasp noise, not for everyones taste. theres also a baffle plate in the air box if you remove that you can improve air flow.

Pipercross apparently do an induction kit for a mk1 the product number is on their website whether it is any good. at ?80 a tad pricey.

oh and if you hear about powerroar pipes, they are a joke they do nothing and are a waste of money at ?30.
You can't polish a turd

Offline greenie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2004, 16:48 »
The Strut brace in a Nuttshell a good buy....however
do not buy a rear strut brace or a strut brace front the upper front they do nothing !!!!!!!!!
The one to buy is a lower sturt brace for the Mk1
(dubwiser a good make about ?25,00)
The lower strut brace strengthens the frame and the suspension up.  This was put on as standard on the last of the Mk1 Golfs as well as the last of the Sirocco's because it was an achilies heel of the Golfs....  (in laymens terms in corners and goes round roundabouts like its on rails !!)

I hope this helps

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
  • Low Low bored out MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2004, 16:11 »
I got a lower strut brace for my baby, would strongly recomend it, got a K&N filter too....  Yumyum...  Me and my mate tested the theory of drilling the airbox at GTI Fest 02, or 03, cant remember...  Did it on the Yoko tyre testing, improved time by a couple of seconds, not allot but it was a very small track, very loud tho, t'was lovely
Race ya...