Author Topic: Golf 8v 2ltr GTI mk3 problem  (Read 2044 times)

Offline madmuppets

• Not said much yet
Golf 8v 2ltr GTI mk3 problem
« on: 25 June 2003, 14:22 »
We have a Golf 8v 2ltr GTI mk3 and have just recently had a problem with the car whilst driving.
Heres the picture, were driving along at about 60mph and all of a sudden the car dies on us and the oil light comes up on the dash, this has happened a fare few times now. The car does`nt shudder to a halt, just simply dies like there`s no more life left.

Now we changed our fuel to Shell Optimax a few months back now after reading how good it is and that. A few people at work reckon it could be a blocked fuel line or sludge build up and that i should use REDEX.
I dont like using this crap cos we had a 205 gti and had nothing but problems after.

Now could it be the Immobolizer, ive heard on here that as the car gets older the immobolizer tends to play up, is this the case, i dont know.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline petersolinas

• Not said much yet
Re:Golf 8v 2ltr GTI mk3 problem
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2003, 10:57 »
I have a 1997 Gof GTI 16V MKIII. I have recently started using optimax and I am getting much higher MPG.

Since I started using OPTIMAX I have had a problem with the car.

When I have been driving for about 20 minutes the revs start flying up and down and the engine cuts out. After this it is difficult to restart - the engine turns over but wont start for about 1 minute.

Could this be because the OPTIMAX petrol has loosened some dirt up that is blocking something. I have about read similar problems in this forum and people recommend cleaning the butterfly valve (whatever that is) or replacing the fuel pump.

Can anyone help. Shall I try redex?

Offline Bagel2003

• Not said much yet
Re:Golf 8v 2ltr GTI mk3 problem
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2003, 16:16 »
Distributor Cap ?