Author Topic: To RichandHazel  (Read 2815 times)

golfvr6

To RichandHazel
« on: 24 June 2003, 21:23 »
My dad owns a Audi 90 20V quattro , engine 7A. When the car starts up from cold for a couple of seconds it won't idle unless i put my foot on the gas.  Also the car tries to cut out when approaching junctions and roundabouts sometimes. If i start the car and stop it after it tries to cut out , it idles fine when i restart. It has had a new coolant temperature sensor fitted. I think it might be the idle stabilisation valve at fault, what do ya think?
By the way 5 cylinder 20V kicks arse!!
Anyone else with any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re:To RichandHazel
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2003, 21:35 »
You are just so famous Rich  :P

jv
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2003, 07:05 »
Yep, I'd go for the idle stabilisation valve.......remove it and give it a good clean with some carb cleaner or something similar..........common problem.
Mine is the 7A engine too.........its great  ;D ;D ;D

My dad owns a Audi 90 20V quattro , engine 7A. When the car starts up from cold for a couple of seconds it won't idle unless i put my foot on the gas.  Also the car tries to cut out when approaching junctions and roundabouts sometimes. If i start the car and stop it after it tries to cut out , it idles fine when i restart. It has had a new coolant temperature sensor fitted. I think it might be the idle stabilisation valve at fault, what do ya think?
By the way 5 cylinder 20V kicks arse!!
Anyone else with any ideas would be very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2003, 07:07 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2003, 07:12 »
This may help:-

http://20v.org/engprob.htm#isv

Have a look round the whole site.......its a really good resource for 20V Audi owners.........the forum is packed with really knowledgeable guys too.  ;)

Offline brains

• GTI forum regular
  • why didnt i buy a ford, like my dad told me????
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2003, 18:00 »
i would just like to add to the feet kissing of this great man!!!
he put me on to the possibilty of a problem with relays, which was affecting my stuttery car. replaced the fuel pump and also the e.c.u relay three days ago and the problem has now gone.

so all hail to the mighty richard and hazel ;D

cheers
brains
when i grow up i want to be a VR6

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2003, 18:42 »
i would just like to add to the feet kissing of this great man!!!
he put me on to the possibilty of a problem with relays, which was affecting my stuttery car. replaced the fuel pump and also the e.c.u relay three days ago and the problem has now gone.

so all hail to the mighty richard and hazel ;D

cheers
brains

Very kind words, thank you.
I like to try and help and if I can help avoid people learning the hard way.........getting thinner wallets and still not fixing their car, then its been worth it.  
Cheers  ;)

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2003, 12:24 »
I would like to say that I have found the response on this site very good, everyone is genuinely willing to help out and we all have a shared love for the products of Volkswagen and Audi. I have used the honest john website  but found everyone on there to be anti VAG and this is from a load of muppets driving fords and vauxhalls.