Author Topic: Just spent £790 on my gti  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Guy

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,116
Re: Just spent £790 on my gti
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2009, 09:37 »
Week monday im spending £900 in the spray shop, although ive added having a door sil cut out, so maybe over a K now

Is that for the whole motor? if so, thats a appealing price.

scary price more like for an entire respray!  :shocked:

Offline Mikester

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,427
  • Civic Type R
Re: Just spent £790 on my gti
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2009, 14:50 »
Week monday im spending £900 in the spray shop, although ive added having a door sil cut out, so maybe over a K now

Is that for the whole motor? if so, thats a appealing price.

scary price more like for an entire respray!  :shocked:

lol... i wish! It dont include the Tailgate, roof, rear bumper, or front bumper. As i have new bumpers, and the tailgate i have something else planned ;).

And believe me, the guy who is doing it is top of the game. lol. Restores cars more than does bodywork on requests. Atm he has a vintage 911 that hes restored taking it back to the bare chassis, been doing it for at least 4months now,its bloody amazing.

Top bloke.

Offline alexus1981

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Just spent £790 on my gti
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2009, 20:02 »
You will be paying to get the camber and tracking set again in a few weeks once it settles down.

Yeah I know- the mechanic said to bring it back after 500-1000 miles for a free geometry check up and adjustment if necessary. He said it probably wont move too much as they did it on day one of three and drove it around a fair bit to get it to settle. Priming the shocks before fitting them also makes a difference; most people just shove them on and wonder why everything has changed so much after a few miles.

You will be paying to get the camber and tracking set again in a few weeks once it settles down.

good tip

op - does your car have a full service history as you could have done a lot that yourself?

I’m glad to say it does. Full dealer service history in fact. I know I could have done quite a bit of that but 1. I barely have any spare time 2. I wanted it doing properly 3. You pay for what you get; I can afford it right now and I want the car preserving in the best possible way as the previous owner did.

Not to sound like a total dick but it is a mint gti, not the usual bob a job you see on auto trader so I don’t mind spending the money.

Mikester- good to see someone else isnt afraid of spending a few bob on preserving their pride and joy!
yOuR mUm...

Offline Guy

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,116
Re: Just spent £790 on my gti
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2009, 20:10 »
mine also has a full service history... it gets a minimal oil service service from a reputable garage I know every 10k so I get the stamp - thats it

everything else I am doing myself... well, trying to. its not that I don't have the time or money, but I don't see the point in paying someone £40/hr when you can get the knowledge, experience and satisfaction from doing it yourself... I can then justify getting goodies and extras that I wouldn't have normally got... Like decent brakes instead of standard ones etc

i knew cock all before I came on this forum to what I know now... have a go and if you break it you can always call the garage or the guys on here!


Offline alexus1981

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Just spent £790 on my gti
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2009, 20:32 »
mine also has a full service history... it gets a minimal oil service service from a reputable garage I know every 10k so I get the stamp - thats it

everything else I am doing myself... well, trying to. its not that I don't have the time or money, but I don't see the point in paying someone £40/hr when you can get the knowledge, experience and satisfaction from doing it yourself... I can then justify getting goodies and extras that I wouldn't have normally got... Like decent brakes instead of standard ones etc

i knew cock all before I came on this forum to what I know now... have a go and if you break it you can always call the garage or the guys on here!



yeah i know, each to their own. My dad is a retired air cooled VW specialist who owned his own garages so i've grown up around it and know a fair bit. But as i've said i just dont have the time and i want everything doing perfectly. There are probably an unlimited number of things a qualified and VAG specialised mechanic will do to a car when servicing it; things that you only get to know through expericence with the car. I want all these little things doing perfectly on my car. Again as i've said if i've got the money to do it whats the point in doing it myself? Infact I'm very happy to pay someone else to do it and not only get tip top work on my car but also help keep the economy afloat by spending my cashola.

Dont get me wrong; i know what you're saying, but to keep a car 10 years old perfect you need things doing properly.
yOuR mUm...

Offline Guy

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,116
Re: Just spent £790 on my gti
« Reply #15 on: 30 April 2009, 20:39 »
hmmm... would much rather the job get done by myself or someone I know so I know that it has been done perfectly.. I also find it far more satisfying that the feeling of resentment that I used to get handing over large wads of my hard earned for things which now I do in my spare time.

i'm not saying you shouldn't do it... but you would learn far more about your car if you did it yourself. and be prouder for it.

out of interest what would a garage do when servicing a car that, say, someone on here wouldn't do?