GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: murraymint on 06 June 2012, 20:22
-
Right, I'm planning on doing a 16v conversion on my 1.6. I've got a corrado cable shifter and I'm thinking of using it, (shorter throw) and I starting thinking about mounting it on top of the tunnel Insted of under it.
This is what I'm thinking.
Have no center console and maybe fit a mk4 arm rest then have something like this
(http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/murrayminf/437e9a46.jpg)
(http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/murrayminf/efe48901.jpg)
But mount the shifter on top of the tunnel,
Here's the shifter
(http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/murrayminf/78034de0.jpg)
I'd carpet the sides of it and then make a little box out of ally to cover the shifter internals.
My reasoning for this would be coz it would look cool, and also the gears tick would be closer to the wheel for quicker shifting.
Whatd you rekon.
-
It'd look cool, let me know how you get on with the conversion it's on my list!
-
It'd look cool, let me know how you get on with the conversion it's on my list!
Cheers. Will do but I'm only 'planning' the conversion ATM due to funds. First thing I'm doing is uprating the brakes
-
Think it will look good if done right....but wont your gearstick be up by your stereo like a drifters handbrake :grin:
-
Think it will look good if done right....but wont your gearstick be up by your stereo like a drifters handbrake :grin:
Yh wou
D mock it up first and see what it looks like. I rekon it would be level/bit lower then heater controls
-
Also you could mod the selectors on the new box for a shorter throw. I done it DIY style on my Leon and there is litterally 2 inches between first and second!!
-
Also you could mod the selectors on the new box for a shorter throw. I done it DIY style on my Leon and there is litterally 2 inches between first and second!!
That would be cool!
-
Its is cool....and I get great amusement once a year when taking it for an mot and watching the tester trying to move it thinking he's getting no gears. Its rediculously short!!
-
Its is cool....and I get great amusement once a year when taking it for an mot and watching the tester trying to move it thinking he's getting no gears. Its rediculously short!!
:grin: :grin: how did you make the throw shorter?
-
Just drilled a hole in the selector closer to the pivot point and used a nut and bolt to hold the cable. I drilled closer than I was supposed to hence the throw but never had any issues with. Also uprated the rubbers in the end of the cables by using and hard rubber bush I had in the garage. I don't drive it hard much these days but when i first did it I felt proper good. Changing gear with a flick of an index finger :grin: You can't do that mod with side to side movement but sure you can buy something for that.
-
Just drilled a hole in the selector closer to the pivot point and used a nut and bolt to hold the cable. I drilled closer than I was supposed to hence the throw but never had any issues with. Also uprated the rubbers in the end of the cables by using and hard rubber bush I had in the garage. I don't drive it hard much these days but when i first did it I felt proper good. Changing gear with a flick of an index finger :grin: You can't do that mod with side to side movement but sure you can buy something for that.
:cool:, will save this for later. Side to side isn't too bad tho.
-
If your going to do it then cut the lever down.
-
Yh would cut it down a bit.
Would like to have a Ferrari style plate
(http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/murrayminf/3061a4e5.jpg)
-
I have the same corrado selector in my valver, I took the std 16v one apart and replaced the stick with the corrado one, shortens the stick beautifully an feels more natural relaxed position as it comes to Hand easier, as for shortening the throw, I feel it made an improvement but I did t make measurements,
The reason I didn't cut mine was that I didn't hav the correct die for cutting the new thread and I wanted to retain the thread for my anni gear knob, and I had the rado one just gathering dust
-
Would like to have a Ferrari style plate
Would not work very well to be honest
-
Would like to have a Ferrari style plate
Would not work very well to be honest
Yh I know, was just looking at round gear knobs and found that.