GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: gashead1974 on 31 May 2012, 18:30

Title: Spring compressors
Post by: gashead1974 on 31 May 2012, 18:30
I'm picking up a secondhand set of lowered/uprated shocks and spring to go on a mk3 gti this weekend, I've searched on here and other places but my question is...... as I'm replacing complete units ie dampers & springs (already assembled) will I need to use spring compressors either to get the old (complete) units of or to get the new ones on?
Many thanks
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Gavv8 on 31 May 2012, 18:32
If your changing all the units complete you won't need spring compressors, but if you need to change the front springs then you will, you can change the rear springs without compressors.
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: tweed on 31 May 2012, 18:34
No.

You only need to undo the top mounts and undo the bolt and nut at the bottom.
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: gashead1974 on 31 May 2012, 18:36
No.

You only need to undo the top mounts and undo the bolt and nut at the bottom.

If your changing all the units complete you won't need spring compressors, but if you need to change the front springs then you will, you can change the rear springs without compressors.

Thats great news (as I dont own any compressors), thanks for the quick replies.

By the end of the weekend I should have the leather interior in and it dropped to sensible height,
thanks again :smiley:
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: murraymint on 31 May 2012, 18:37
No.

You only need to undo the top mounts and undo the bolt and nut at the bottom.

If your changing all the units complete you won't need spring compressors, but if you need to change the front springs then you will, you can change the rear springs without compressors.

Thats great news (as I dont own any compressors), thanks for the quick replies.

By the end of the weekend I should have the leather interior in and it dropped to sensible height,
thanks again :smiley:



 :cool:
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: tweed on 31 May 2012, 18:42
If your changing all the units complete you won't need spring compressors, but if you need to change the front springs then you will, you can change the rear springs without compressors.


No you don't! You need to man the fcuk up and squeeze it down and turn the nut couple of times before you realise the spring  :wink:
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Gavv8 on 31 May 2012, 18:54
If your changing all the units complete you won't need spring compressors, but if you need to change the front springs then you will, you can change the rear springs without compressors.


No you don't! You need to man the fcuk up and squeeze it down and turn the nut couple of times before you realise the spring  :wink:
I like my teeth where they are thanks..
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: liva2704 on 31 May 2012, 20:57
Use compressors mate if you are changing the springs only mate,dont be stupid because believe me there is some serious power waiting and in all honesty if it hits you in the face it could actually KILL you.
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Dogbot on 31 May 2012, 21:42
Paaah  lay it on the floor an stick the air gun on it.... I have the workshop record of shooting a shock leg six foot!! Audi a8 springs are under some fair old pressure!!  You can also use ratchet straps as ghetto spring compressors if you must x
Play careful kids it is dangerous pmsl
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: tweed on 31 May 2012, 22:36
Use compressors mate if you are changing the springs only mate,dont be stupid because believe me there is some serious power waiting and in all honesty if it hits you in the face it could actually KILL you.

You have obviously never undone one before. Springs don't fly off and bounce 10th high. It hardly moves at all. The spring length is about 15mm longer the the shock. How much force do you think the spring creates from being compressed 15mm?

Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Dogbot on 31 May 2012, 22:48
Onthe mk3 tweed is correct, I have come across some pretty impressive ones, the larger Audi stuff and mondeo ones are usually pretty special when they go, the ones on m old Saab where very compressed about 50mm from memory......
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Deano2711 on 31 May 2012, 22:50
The spring is compressed for a reason and the force from the compression would make the top nut fly off (maybe not far but with more than enough force to hurt). Spring compressors are a must for anyone that values there face. Totally nuts to advise anyone who is not totally in the know (seeing as the op was asking then he obviously needs help with the job) as this could lead to unknown injuries. I went to college years ago to study car mechanics and the first thing I was told was to never ever undo the top nut without spring compressors and I would not advise anyone to do so. If it was that easy then spring compressors would never have been invented. At 15/20 quid is it worth the hassle/risk ??
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: tweed on 31 May 2012, 22:56
Oh yeah ok the nut flew off and gave me a 4" scar on my face.

I've had a mk3 16v. I have a mk3 8v and have a mk3 vr6. Lowered all 3 and not once used a spring compressor. Never had any flying nuts on all 12 shocks. For starters the nut is inside a socket!

Just lowered my BMW 528 and yet again no flying nuts.

Did my mates front shocks on his saxo and you guessed it, no flying nuts or springs.

 
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Deano2711 on 31 May 2012, 22:59
I am so happy for you.....I also have lowered many Mark 3's and never been injured and the most advisable and safe way is to use Spring compressors. I am not disputing you know how to do the job without them but is it really the best way to advise a novice to do the job without compressors ?? 
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: murraymint on 31 May 2012, 23:06
I didn't use spring compressors on my standard mk3 shocks and was fine, In fact it was a bit of an anti-climax as was expecting some spring action  :laugh:
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: tweed on 31 May 2012, 23:09
I am so happy for you.....I also have lowered many Mark 3's and never been injured and the most advisable and safe way is to use Spring compressors. I am not disputing you know how to do the job without them but is it really the best way to advise a novice to do the job without compressors ?? 


Yes, because I have first hand experience in taking them off with out them, and know for fact there is very little compression to do any harm to yourself or anybody close by.

If I don't  know I don't advise people.


You don't see me replying on every thread do you. If I don't know I don't reply. I just read and learn.
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: tweed on 31 May 2012, 23:12
I didn't use spring compressors on my standard mk3 shocks and was fine, In fact it was a bit of an anti-climax as was expecting some spring action  :laugh:

So you think it was enough for the spring to bounce off, hit you in the face and kill you?  :grin:
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Len on 31 May 2012, 23:28
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Loving the banter!
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Willo on 31 May 2012, 23:30
I don't know bout golf but I used compressors on my old mondeo they were compressed loads
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Len on 31 May 2012, 23:33
Just as an aside when I changed the struts on my Pug the top nut would not budge so I took it to work and cut the strut with a skill saw! The spring did fly out! Not to far though as it was laid on the ground.
Very bad way of doing things but I achieved what I wanted.
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Wayne on 01 June 2012, 00:04
I would never strip a shock assembly without compressors, have seen the effects of doing so without and it is nasty.

To advise anyone to do the job without compressing the spring is stupid.
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: liva2704 on 01 June 2012, 08:40
I agree totally
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: gashead1974 on 01 June 2012, 10:55
Thanks for all the replies, if I was just changing the springs I would air on the side of caution and use compressors but as I'm changing one complete unit for another no need from what I understand.
Cheers
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: murraymint on 01 June 2012, 17:41
I didn't use spring compressors on my standard mk3 shocks and was fine, In fact it was a bit of an anti-climax as was expecting some spring action  :laugh:

So you think it was enough for the spring to bounce off, hit you in the face and kill you?  :grin:

no thnkfully i didnt die from it  :laugh:. i can see why people are going mad about this and saying 'on my other car it did it'. what tweed (and me) are getting it is you dont need them for mk3 springs. when i did mine i was actually pushing the spring down so that the nut had next to no pressure on it, so yes you can get a spring in the face and die if you dont use spring compressers, just not ona mk3 (this is not me recommendinh not useing them tho  :grin:)
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Gavv8 on 01 June 2012, 19:14
This is all hilarious till someone gets hurt , if you can use a tool that makes a job easier, faster and safer then its just common sense surely?
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: tweed on 01 June 2012, 22:21
This is all hilarious till someone gets hurt , if you can use a tool that makes a job easier, faster and safer then its just common sense surely?

Using a spring compressor is not easier, is not faster.  :wink:

Your 10x more likely to injure yourself having a wank tonight
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: murraymint on 01 June 2012, 22:36
 :laugh:
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Wayne on 01 June 2012, 23:58

Using a spring compressor is not easier, is not faster.  :wink:


Nope but it is a lot safer :smiley:
Title: Re: Spring compressors
Post by: Gavv8 on 02 June 2012, 00:25
This is all hilarious till someone gets hurt , if you can use a tool that makes a job easier, faster and safer then its just common sense surely?

Using a spring compressor is not easier, is not faster.  :wink:

Your 10x more likely to injure yourself having a wank tonight
Friday's my night off.. :grin: