GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: dubstar9 on 28 May 2012, 21:02

Title: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: dubstar9 on 28 May 2012, 21:02
Thinking about engine options for my Mk3 Cabrio with the options of 2.8 or 2.9 VR6, 20v 1.8T or 2.8 24v V6 4Motion engine.

Not to keen on Turbo lumps and the sound from the VR lumps so the power from the 24v is right up my street, but questions are 1. how much more work is required over the VR6's and 2. what 2wd gearbox will fit the 24v???

Any ideas!!!
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: Ess_Three on 28 May 2012, 21:18
what 2wd gearbox will fit the 24v???

Any ideas!!!

Golf or Corrado VR6 gearbox is the one you need.
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: dubstar9 on 28 May 2012, 21:22
Thought as much as it's just a 24v VR6 and the gearbox the block mounting points should be the same.

As for fitting to a MK3 I should just need a loom and ECU right???

Anything else I might be missing out here???

Has anyone fitted this engine to a Mk3, I've seen R32 and R36 transplants.
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: Wayne on 28 May 2012, 21:38
Thought as much as it's just a 24v VR6 and the gearbox the block mounting points should be the same.

As for fitting to a MK3 I should just need a loom and ECU right???


Yep should bolt straight in on VR mounts, as Glen said you will need a VR box.


Has anyone fitted this engine to a Mk3, I've seen R32 and R36 transplants.

Not seen one but have seen a few R32 conversions.
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: dubstar9 on 28 May 2012, 21:57
Only thing I've found on Youtube - http://youtu.be/wEUGIBMxV1A
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: dubstar9 on 29 May 2012, 07:41
Does anyone know how different the ECU and engine loom would be compared to a VR6, I believe to only engine difference is the 24v head but later ones changed to coil packs.

So is it easier to opt for an early V6 4 motion lump?

Sorry about all the questions :laugh:
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: Wayne on 29 May 2012, 09:15
Ecu and engine loom would be different to a VR6 and I am sure they are were all coilpack
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: dubstar9 on 29 May 2012, 13:11
Thanks for the Wayne.

So far shopping list is 24v lump complete, 24v wiring loom, 24v ECU & VR6 box.

For a S/Steel manifold, should I go for an R32 one as I can only find ones for VR6 or R32 engines. Any links to 4Motion ones would be great :wink:
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: Wayne on 29 May 2012, 15:31
For a S/Steel manifold, should I go for an R32 one as I can only find ones for VR6 or R32 engines. Any links to 4Motion ones would be great :wink:

You will need a VR6 one, 4mo or R32 will be no good
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: Ess_Three on 29 May 2012, 15:57
For a S/Steel manifold, should I go for an R32 one as I can only find ones for VR6 or R32 engines. Any links to 4Motion ones would be great :wink:

You will need a VR6 one, 4mo or R32 will be no good

You sure Wayne?
I thought the head flange faces were different between 12v and 24v VR6/V6s?

I'd have thought one of the specialist R32 type conversion manifolds are the way to go.
Although the R32 and 24v V6 have different inlet manifolds, I believe the exhaust manifolds are the same - so a 6 branch for a R32 conversion should work.

You may even find that 24v cast manifolds mate upto 12v downpipes...I don't know.

Why don't you want to use the standard manifold/downpipes anyway?
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: Wayne on 29 May 2012, 16:44
I thought the head flange faces were different between 12v and 24v VR6/V6s?

I'd have thought one of the specialist R32 type conversion manifolds are the way to go.
Although the R32 and 24v V6 have different inlet manifolds, I believe the exhaust manifolds are the same - so a 6 branch for a R32 conversion should work.

You may even find that 24v cast manifolds mate upto 12v downpipes...I don't know.

Why don't you want to use the standard manifold/downpipes anyway?

Valid point Glen :afro: thinking about it, I am sure the head faces are different, R32 conversion would be the best bet.
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: tweed on 29 May 2012, 17:46
You will need the 4 motion throttle pedal and fab up a bracket too  :wink:
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: dubstar9 on 29 May 2012, 18:22
Regarding standard manifold/downpipes, I would have thought you may get some decent horses from a flowed s/steel manifold together with a s/steel exhaust, cone filter and a chip.....

As for the throttle pedal, is that because the 4Motion is drive by wire???
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: Ess_Three on 29 May 2012, 19:08
Regarding standard manifold/downpipes, I would have thought you may get some decent horses from a flowed s/steel manifold together with a s/steel exhaust, cone filter and a chip.....

I doubt it...I built a 2.9 12v VR6 that is now in my mates Mk3, it makes 228 BHP, 208 lb-ft, and revs to 7500 all day...and uses standard cast manifolds and downpipes, match ported.
The standard VW stuff isn't restrictive...so don't assume you will get a gain...because I very much doubt you will.

Much of the aftermarket SS 6 branch stuff is crap quality and will end up cracking anyway.
If it were me, I'd see if an OEM mix and match solution can be found.
Title: Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
Post by: dubstar9 on 29 May 2012, 20:03
Thanks for that info, not one to save a penny or two to get the best out of an engine, but if it does then I'll source OEM :wink:

Thanks for the manifold info :cool: