GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: PinkFloydEffect on 26 May 2012, 01:24

Title: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: PinkFloydEffect on 26 May 2012, 01:24
(http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/pinkfloydeffect750/IMG_0417.jpg)

I have a 1988 Dakota I'm street-rodding out and recently installed some leather BMW bucket seats, I need a matching leather console that is very slim with a hand brake for drifting. After looking through hundreds of cars at the junkyard I found VWs have the most versatile center consoles with a nice leathery look, I have not seen all the VWs but quite a few. The Passat and Golf3 were the most interesting to me but the Passat might be too large, this MK3 center console looks perfect! It's black with a leather hand brake all in a compact design, two cup holders and I'm not sure what is missing here....an elbow rest? Does anyone have console pictures for me? I live in the US so vehicles and consoles might be different in my junkyards but this looks like the console I want if I only knew what was missing (a mini arm rest?) Will all US standard transmission MK3's have this center console?
(http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/pinkfloydeffect750/IMG_0999.jpg)
(http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/pinkfloydeffect750/IMG_0989.jpg)


I think if it's too large I can always shorten it and cut along that seam line between the shifter and cup holder, I will be using a large universal shift boot and plate over the stock opening. My Dakota has a useless vented square under the ash tray, I can cut it out and fit the back of the cup holder in:
(http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/pinkfloydeffect750/IMG_0988.jpg)
(http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/pinkfloydeffect750/IMG_9021.jpg)
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: CJA321 on 26 May 2012, 01:48
Rare bits as it is... saw one of those centre consoles on ebay not long ago in leather. Went for around hunndred quid. Was off a mk3 highline
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: PinkFloydEffect on 26 May 2012, 03:39
Is it? Darn, is a highline a top model or something? Maybe I can just clean this one up, any idea what is missing on the rear of the console? A cover or arm rest?

Edit: I did find this
(http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/pinkfloydeffect750/2523733479_6a31bcd901.jpg)
(http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/pinkfloydeffect750/2523733427_cd7a50f909.jpg)
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: gti gaz on 26 May 2012, 08:43
looks smart  :grin:
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: PinkFloydEffect on 26 May 2012, 18:54
looks smart  :grin:

Sarcasm?


I love how the cup holders can be easily transformed to house a 7" monitor (LED touch screen) since I have such an extensive stereo system in my truck this works perfect I was going to hack up my dash to install a touchscreen anyway!
(http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/pinkfloydeffect750/47b2eb43-4c70-a697.jpg)

(http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/pinkfloydeffect750/43444202.jpg)
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: brett on 26 May 2012, 19:05
nice little mod mate  :cool: ,imo
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 26 May 2012, 20:05
the gearknobs and gaitors in those pics are from a mk4 fyi
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 26 May 2012, 22:19
the gearknobs and gaitors in those pics are from a mk4 fyi

Same as what I've got in mine.
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: murraymint on 26 May 2012, 22:23
If there's load of these centre consoles in your junkyards, don't mind shipping a few over?  :wink:
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 26 May 2012, 22:30
the gearknobs and gaitors in those pics are from a mk4 fyi

Same as what I've got in mine.

mine to  :cool:
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: PinkFloydEffect on 27 May 2012, 02:28
the gearknobs and gaitors in those pics are from a mk4 fyi
What are you referring to as gear knobs and gaitors? The shift boot and hand brake boot?

If there's load of these centre consoles in your junkyards, don't mind shipping a few over?  :wink:
I wouldn't say a lot but I have not looked at any others to find more which I plan on, if I find an abundance I wouldn't' mind shipping if there is a market for them $$
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: murraymint on 27 May 2012, 11:35
the gearknobs and gaitors in those pics are from a mk4 fyi
What are you referring to as gear knobs and gaitors? The shift boot and hand brake boot?

If there's load of these centre consoles in your junkyards, don't mind shipping a few over?  :wink:
I wouldn't say a lot but I have not looked at any others to find more which I plan on, if I find an abundance I wouldn't' mind shipping if there is a market for them $$
There is a market for them! Think it would be more viable if a few of us on here wanted them, and you could find them, would be to post them all in one box and split the postage, and give you some note for your troubles too.
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: PinkFloydEffect on 27 May 2012, 16:37
How much are you willing to pay for one? I read they are selling for close to 100 quid each? I would be willing at 50 quid each (minus shipping costs) that would make it worth it to me in USD. So 150 quid for 3 of them sent to the same address and you have to pay the shipping, worth it? Any other rare odds and ends to look for? I don't mind finding rare parts for you guys you can use me as your east coast US junkyard runner as long as you make it worth it to me for my time $ I know of a private junkyard full of VW's the public is not allowed to roam I even saw a Bradly GT in there!
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: murraymint on 27 May 2012, 17:01
That sounds like a good deal, just gotta find some others that would be willing to get one also (I don't think will be hard)
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: CJA321 on 27 May 2012, 18:22
Cup holders = win also  :tongue:
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: tweed on 27 May 2012, 18:58
Would love a rear boot lid, rear gti bumper and 3dr gti sideskirts  :wink:
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 27 May 2012, 20:40
the gearknobs and gaitors in those pics are from a mk4 fyi
What are you referring to as gear knobs and gaitors? The shift boot and hand brake boot?


gearknob is the knob on the gearstick with the numbers on it, gaitor is the boot. the pic I'm referring to is the one where both handbrakes have no gaitors/boots on them
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: F17BAD on 27 May 2012, 20:51
thing is the US interior parts are made for left hand drive cars, so the cubby hole part looks pants in UK cars s it bends the opersite way to ours
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: murraymint on 27 May 2012, 20:57
thing is the US interior parts are made for left hand drive cars, so the cubby hole part looks pants in UK cars s it bends the opersite way to ours

Yh I was just after the arm rest part, not overly fussed about cup holders
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: F17BAD on 27 May 2012, 21:04
may swell source one in UK mate as it is gonna cost u about the same as what he is wanting and will be less hassle   :undecided:
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: murraymint on 27 May 2012, 21:07
may swell source one in UK mate as it is gonna cost u about the same as what he is wanting and will be less hassle   :undecided:

Yh fair point, there jus a b!tch to find, n most have added 'scene' tax

Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: Edwh0re on 27 May 2012, 21:10
The key thing is making sure that they come with the bracket...

I would be in, but not this month with the amount I have on right now...
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 27 May 2012, 22:19
I've sold 2 US rear centre consoles recently. Complete ones are hard to come by in this country and fetch silly money.
If you're planning on shipping some bits over il happily make an order...
 I need a new leather handbrake gaitor/ boot
Also the correct wiring connector for the boot/ trunk release switch and also the connector for the central locking switch.
Rear headlining courtesy lights in grey.
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: Gash on 27 May 2012, 22:22
Well I just sold my rear console and front console for £125 so good money jn them.
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: Len on 28 May 2012, 23:43
I'm interested!
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: PinkFloydEffect on 29 May 2012, 00:49
I'll see what I come across, and post pictures of what I find. I have not explored the larger junkyards as of yet.
Title: Re: MK3 Center Console In Truck
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 29 May 2012, 10:11
Good man.  :wink: