GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: stainesy on 10 May 2012, 16:53
-
Ok today wile I was fitting my coilys I decided to change my rear wheel bearings. Problem I have is I undone and removed the to bolts so I could get the brake pads out. Went to remove the 2 bolts on the rear of it all that are allen key headed so I could get the rest of the caliper off so I am able to then take the brake disc off but some douchbag seems to have already had ago at it and rounded one of the Allen key headed bolts inside.
Any ideas on how I can remove this so I can get the brake disc off?
-
Irwin extractor sockets or you could try smashing a socket over it, however I doubt there's much room to maneuver.
-
Lol....you have no luck with bolts!! I had this problem when stripping down my Mk3 however i waited until I removed my rear axle and welded a nut on the end of it to get it out. Battering a bigger allan key in there might do it but I guess your tight for space to do that.
-
I used a pair of stilsons
-
One of my front struts was like you describe.... bought an impact driver and job done, amazing what they can do.. Smash the appropriate fitting in it and let it do the work
-
i have a an impact driver but no allen key bits to fit it. i have allen keys and a bar to put on the end of them :grin:
i could try some stilsons but not sure how i would get them close as its pretty tight back there for space
-
Always told at work (pipe fitter/sprinkler service engineer) if it went in it will come out, always a way.. bring it to me and i'll get :angry:it out
-
i hammered a 12 point spline into mine, did the trick. T45 i think it was
-
These caliper carrier bolts are notoriously fvcking difficult to remove and seem to be made of butter. Heat the bolt up first if you can then hammer an Irwin bolt extractor on it then dig out the strength oh a bear on a long breaker bar and wait for the crack!
-
i hammered a 12 point spline into mine, did the trick. T45 i think it was
This every single time!
-
i managed to get one out of my old ibiza with a chisel and a lump hammer
-
If you are using standard alan keys then you will to doubt fail.
1/2" drive Alan sockets are what you need...........
-
hammered in squarely and even then you risk it rounding off completely.
-
Irwin extractors