GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: stainesy on 10 May 2012, 15:04

Title: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: stainesy on 10 May 2012, 15:04
Just fitting my coilovers. Fitted 3 of them fine. Got to the last one started undoing the bolt on bottom of rear shock and it's fcuking snapped. I'm now laying in pouring rain thinking what the hell do I do.
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: Khare on 10 May 2012, 15:20
It's a tough life. Looks like you're going to have to pay the scrappy a visit and find another Mk3 and get a bolt from it, or ebay. You're going to have to drill the old bolt out.
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: Gti_Jamo on 10 May 2012, 15:24
The bolt is threaded into a captive nut which clips into the axle so would just be a matter of removing that and getting a similar size nut and bolt or as said get to the breakers and get the proper one.
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: stainesy on 10 May 2012, 15:49
its a nightmare as the bolt only snapped the end so the hole bolt is still through and the shock stick on.
ah right so the captive nut can be unclipped? so i can unclip it and try to pull it out through the tube?
may be a problem the the bolt is still long inside.

how does the nut unclip?
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: Gti_Jamo on 10 May 2012, 16:08
its a nightmare as the bolt only snapped the end so the hole bolt is still through and the shock stick on.
ah right so the captive nut can be unclipped? so i can unclip it and try to pull it out through the tube?
may be a problem the the bolt is still long inside.

how does the nut unclip?


The clip goes into that open tube end of the axle and locates in a lug just in front of the bolt hole then  the other end just clips on the edge of the tube. They can be seized on there though. I'm sure you can manipulate it out with the bolt still in. If not just cut it down a bit.
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: stainesy on 10 May 2012, 16:19
Ah ok great. I will try and unclipped it and tap the broken end of the bolt that may break the nut and clip loose. Cheers mate  :wink:
I'm not freaking out so much now. I thought the nut was welded in.

Will walk round to the shop in the morning and see if I can find a decent nut and bolt to replace it.
Do you happen to no what size bolt to use? And does it have to be a hardened metal not or anything special?
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: Gti_Jamo on 10 May 2012, 16:37
Ah ok great. I will try and unclipped it and tap the broken end of the bolt that may break the nut and clip loose. Cheers mate  :wink:
I'm not freaking out so much now. I thought the nut was welded in.

Will walk round to the shop in the morning and see if I can find a decent nut and bolt to replace it.
Do you happen to no what size bolt to use? And does it have to be a hardened metal not or anything special?

No idea on type of nut and bolt mate but I would maybe be tempted to get one from the dealers considering its under quite alot of load. I doubt a bolt from a normal hardware shop would cut it. But if your in a hurry to get it sorted it will do as a temporary measure. Someone breaking a mk3 on here should be able to sort you out with one also.
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: Wayne on 10 May 2012, 17:10
You need a 10.9 or 12.8 grade bolt and it is m10 size from memory.
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: stainesy on 10 May 2012, 17:29
Ok mate great cheers. My mate is going to shoot me down the road to VW and hopefully they may have them and the nut in stock.
What does the grade mean?
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: Bellend on 10 May 2012, 18:04
On my Golf and a few I've worked on the captive nuts come off anyway.

Tap the bolt and the captive nut will break free. Should give you enough room  to get the shock out then you can put an 18mm spanner on the nut and turn the broken bolt.

If you can't get hold of anything, PM me your address and I'll stick a bolt and nut in the post tomorrow.
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: stainesy on 10 May 2012, 18:39
Ok mate sweet I ll try that in the morning. And yeah cheers fella.
What a bloody day.

The morning started off nice and sunny. Then with 2 front coilys fitted it p!sses down and don't stop all day after till now. Then wile trying to change rear wheel bearing I found somebody had rounded off the Allen key bolt on the caliper bolt so can't do that. Then on the very last bolt of fitting coilys it snapped all wile laying in a 2 inch puddle of water being rained on. All my tool boxes are now full of water.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day  :grin:
Gutted as the front of the car looks really nice lowered now.
Was ment to be driving over to junior74 to get a new exhaust tonight and have a drawl over his wheels  :grin:
Ok rant over  :grin:
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: gizmomk3 on 10 May 2012, 19:36
I've got a bolt as well If you can not get one Pm me.

I did my radiator yesterday in that weather as well how much fun I had NOT hard hard to see for leakes when every thing is wet lol
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 10 May 2012, 20:50
I've had one of these shear off before, I had use a reciprocating saw down the hole of the rear beam to cut it short enough to remove it fully. What a crap job that was.
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: Screech16v on 10 May 2012, 20:54
I had one sheared off too ,accetylene was my friend .
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: Wayne on 10 May 2012, 20:58
I have had one shear off, I was lucky and managed to weld a nut onto it.
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: stainesy on 10 May 2012, 21:22
Oh great so it's not gona be a knock through and remove job then. I was thinking about knocking it through and using a hacksaw blade to cut it short enough to get out.
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: Bellend on 10 May 2012, 23:37
I was looking at the beam earlier. I'm positive if you knock the rest of the bolt loose the strut will just about come out then you can just use molegrips to undo........
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: stainesy on 11 May 2012, 07:38
When you day the nut is help in by a clip with a lug. Is the lug just pushed into a hole or is it a threaded lug with an Allen key head I have to unscrew?
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: stainesy on 11 May 2012, 12:44
ok finaly sorted it. Had to use a hacksaw blade down between the shock and the tube bit to cut the bolt then the nut fell off. It was inside the shock where the bolt was and still is totaly stuck. Went and got a new bolt 10.9 from a local bolt supplier and all perfect again.

Cheers for the help guys.  :wink:
Title: Re: Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh help
Post by: VR6_Wherry on 11 May 2012, 14:16
Pics of the new lows then!  :cool: