GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: SCO_VAG on 10 May 2012, 00:04

Title: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: SCO_VAG on 10 May 2012, 00:04
You guys have prob heard this all before lol but I was a little concerned.

Bought some JOM's for my mk3 as they were dirt cheap and looked good, got a decent quote from a trusted knowladgble garage for fitting and they had some bad things to say  :angry:

Basically just that they're cheap and nasty and have had numerous customers coming back saying they've collapsed etc when driven hard  :undecided:, and that TUV approval only means that they have been built to a standard but not tested for dudrablity? Obviously they're not really designed for track use but they were really not happy with fitting them but would do it anyway. The garage in question in Glasgow are famous for setting up winning rally cars and mainly deal with high end suspension systems like KW & Bilstien so obviously they're not going to sing and dance about a budget set.

Just wanted to see what the general consensus is on these in terms of how they last?


Cheers, John  :smiley:

Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: Wayne on 10 May 2012, 00:10
They are ok for the money but given the choice I would not use them again, better to spend more money and get something better.
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: search on 10 May 2012, 00:24
Ofcorse a garage is going to say that i expect they will charge you an arm and a leg to just for putting them on. Garages don't like when people come with there stuff as the garage cant guarantee the parts in question.
your best bet is to safe alot of money and do it yourself. i had no knowledge or tools to do the job, went out brought some tools for like £25 all in all and did it myself. ( i did have jack stands already tho )

Built not brought ;-)

p.s how can you regret it already when you haven't had them on your car lol.
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: SCO_VAG on 10 May 2012, 00:24
They are ok for the money but given the choice I would not use them again, better to spend more money and get something better.

Fair enough mate cheers.
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: SCO_VAG on 10 May 2012, 00:33
Ofcorse a garage is going to say that i expect they will charge you an arm and a leg to just for putting them on. Garages don't like when people come with there stuff as the garage cant guarantee the parts in question.
your best bet is to safe alot of money and do it yourself. i had no knowledge or tools to do the job, went out brought some tools for like £25 all in all and did it myself. ( i did have jack stands already tho )

Built not brought ;-)

p.s how can you regret it already when you haven't had them on your car lol.


Yea I know what your saying mate... they only wanted £90 inc tracking, which I reckon is good, its childs play to them an hour tops he said. Ive fitted coillies before but I cant really be arsed with the hassle lol.

Tbh after looking at them they look fine.. the welds are good the springs are perfect nothing wrong with them was just a little put off as I trust the garage I use  :undecided:

Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: Khare on 10 May 2012, 00:37
Coilovers are easy to fit. Stop being a woman and do it yourself.
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: SCO_VAG on 10 May 2012, 00:43
Coilovers are easy to fit. Stop being a woman and do it yourself.

haha seriously cannot be arsed man  :cool:
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: Gavv8 on 10 May 2012, 05:53
I've never been to a garage where they didn't moan about something while they are taking your money, thats why i stopped using them years ago.
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: Deano2711 on 10 May 2012, 07:00
I run Joms on mine which is lowered as much as I can and as my daily I have no complaints. The ride is comfy with no knocks or bangs whereas my old VR was fitted with an expensive kit that was a bad ride. They are probably not the best but I have no complaints and would not hesitate to use them again.
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: VR6_Wherry on 10 May 2012, 09:16
I have JOMs on the back and APs on the front. I can't really tell the difference to be honest.. yet the APs are £100 a corner as opposed to the JOMs at £40! :grin:
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: Dogbot on 10 May 2012, 09:28
I use Ta Teckniks, which are the same as Jom's, I have used them for 18 months wound down onto on the bottom of the threads, they were a year old when i got them from a friend & the shocks have only just let go this week, no complaints from me, its a fair ride to be honest as ive used a lot of coilovers over the years in various cars & for £159 I cant really fault them, they are not what i would use if i was on a track day,

I find the ride harsher if they arent wound to the bottom or very near it, which is strange as you would expect it to be the other way around...
next week i will be ordering a set of jom's as i want to replace the ones i have as the ride with blown shocks is abismal.....
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: leigh_harty on 10 May 2012, 18:32
For an extra £40 you can get some FK's  :cool:
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: SCO_VAG on 10 May 2012, 20:02
For an extra £40 you can get some FK's  :cool:


Arent they like, exactly the same?  :huh:
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: stainesy on 10 May 2012, 20:14
i had TA technics on my black golf and they were fine. bit harsh but i had problem with them.
iv just got myslef some tuning art coilys now wich i think are the same aswell as the C spanner that came with them says TA technics on it.
and one good thing on the new one i like is the sleave that covers the bump stop is actuly rubber this time not that plastic consatina that always beaks up and gets stuck between shock and coil.
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: Len on 10 May 2012, 22:14
For an extra £40 you can get some FK's  :cool:


Arent they like, exactly the same?  :huh:

Definitely NOT!
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: Dogbot on 10 May 2012, 22:54
Does anyone have any experience with the FK street coilovers as I have been looking at them for a while but they appear to be the same spring rate & the same 30% damping rate so I'm struggling to see what my extra £40 will buys me....
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: 67buggers on 11 May 2012, 01:09
Does anyone have any experience with the FK street coilovers as I have been looking at them for a while but they appear to be the same spring rate & the same 30% damping rate so I'm struggling to see what my extra £40 will buys me....

Got them fitted to mine, wound down as low as they will go and I have no complaints.....
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: leigh_harty on 11 May 2012, 06:17
Does anyone have any experience with the FK street coilovers as I have been looking at them for a while but they appear to be the same spring rate & the same 30% damping rate so I'm struggling to see what my extra £40 will buys me....

I've had JOMS before on a vr & I have a set if FK Street in my car waiting to go on

Mate has some fitted to a mk4 tdi and they are definatly worth the price
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: lemski on 11 May 2012, 07:53
I had some fk coilies on my car for a few weeks, stiffer than my supersports. I prefer the supersports but wen gettin my next set I will go wietech
Title: Re: Bought JOM coilovers, kind of regretting it :|
Post by: Dogbot on 11 May 2012, 08:27
Does anyone have any experience with the FK street coilovers as I have been looking at them for a while but they appear to be the same spring rate & the same 30% damping rate so I'm struggling to see what my extra £40 will buys me....

I've had JOMS before on a vr & I have a set if FK Street in my car waiting to go on

Mate has some fitted to a mk4 tdi and they are definatly worth the price

I would be interested in your feedback when you fit them, as you have almost back to back comparison, I will be looking to buy a new set next week as my shocks are gone an I can't be using these pogo sticks for too much longer pmsl

With regards to the mk4 it's an entirely different setup on the rear which by its own nature is not as harsh as the rear struts on mk2 & mk3, my brother has a an a3 an the wifes lupo both run jom an ta technics but because the rear beams both use a spring with a damper instead of a leg, the ride is completely comfy... Or that's the only conclusion I can draw from all three cars using essentially the same suspension system and being at similar ride heights...