GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: gti_boonkerz on 01 May 2012, 12:30

Title: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: gti_boonkerz on 01 May 2012, 12:30
Can any body help im thinking of painting my plastic moldings skirts/arches and around the top of the bumpers in a matt black or a gloss black but im not to sure if it will look right or not, as like every body i want them to stay as black as possible :smiley:,

Or has anybody got any good idears of how to make them black without painting them iv tryed the back to black and personaly its crap!
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: liva2704 on 01 May 2012, 12:38
try linseed oil or smooth peanut butter
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: javalin on 01 May 2012, 14:17
heat works to apparently - not tried it myself (yet).

Chemical guys "Back to black" works for about 6 months I find then runs off.  Some moldings more than others.  My wings look good still, but rear bumper is gray again...
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: sdall30 on 01 May 2012, 14:59
Good old heat gun works wonders , will bring even the most grey of grey bumpers back to life, stic a bit of Boiled linseed oil on top once you're done and they will stay that way for ages
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: stainesy on 01 May 2012, 15:06
meguiars tyre gel. I wouldn't use anything els anymore. Turns faded old grey bumper black in one wipe and lasts ages. Even when it's washed off the bumpers never go back to grey.
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: Gavv8 on 01 May 2012, 15:18
meguiars tyre gel. I wouldn't use anything els anymore. Turns faded old grey bumper black in one wipe and lasts ages. Even when it's washed off the bumpers never go back to grey.
I've been using back to black but it only lasts a few weeks so i think i'll try some of the above.
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: Dogbot on 01 May 2012, 15:42
+1 for megs tyre gel..

Use gloves when applying.. its a sod to get off your hands!! :evil:
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: stainesy on 01 May 2012, 15:45
Yep use a small sponge to apply it. Smells quite nice to  :grin:
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: Dogbot on 01 May 2012, 16:24
they do sell an applicator but its like £6..... an im a tight arse pmsl :grin:
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: stainesy on 01 May 2012, 16:59
I use the soft side of one of them washing up sponges that has the green scouring pad on the back lol. But DO NOT use the rough side.  :grin:
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: Bandit127 on 01 May 2012, 17:59
I saw an old post last night where someone mentioned black shoe polish.

Cheap n cheerful or just plain silly?
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: Gavv8 on 01 May 2012, 18:24
I use the soft side of one of them washing up sponges that has the green scouring pad on the back lol. But DO NOT use the rough side.  :grin:
Top tip. :cool:
Title: Re: PLASTIC MOLDINGS
Post by: Dogbot on 01 May 2012, 21:30
I saw an old post last night where someone mentioned black shoe polish.

Cheap n cheerful or just plain silly?

I can see the logic tbh but they aren't true black mouldings so I think you would end up a bit streaky, plus it could be a GIT to get out of all the dimples if you weren't happy with it...