GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: stainesy on 22 April 2012, 11:52

Title: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 22 April 2012, 11:52
ok peeps im back i am picking up a mk3 golf gti this week in dragon green and i have found a bloke that will make me any size banded steel i like so what size shall i go for? what size is ok to use that isnt gona cause to much hassle? im going to roll the arches and use coilys.
im going for 16" wheels on this one as last time was way to low with the 15" rims
is 9j rear and 8j fronts a good option?
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: murraymint on 22 April 2012, 12:03
Too low? Never!  :grin:

I think you might need some arch work if your gunna run that wide with 16" rims.
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 22 April 2012, 15:00
Too low? Never!  :grin:

I think you might need some arch work if your gunna run that wide with 16" rims.

would it be better to run that wide with 15" rims then?
i am going to take people advice and do what is best as i want it right. the bloke will supply and make the banded steels any size for £350 so what do you think is best for just rolled arches and inner arches removed?
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: Junior74 on 22 April 2012, 15:11
if you want it right then do the arch work...
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 22 April 2012, 15:53
if you want it right then do the arch work...

what do you mean by arch work? other than rolling and removing some of the inner wing?
im not getting them flaired
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: tweed on 22 April 2012, 16:19
If you tell me how wide the steels are and the et. I will be able to tell you the new et with 9" and 8"
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: Junior74 on 22 April 2012, 16:24
Just read my last post, sorry, didn't mean to sound blunt...
The wheels I have are 16" 8.5 front and 9.5 rear and needed the arches flared but only slightly.
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 22 April 2012, 18:18
Just read my last post, sorry, didn't mean to sound blunt...
The wheels I have are 16" 8.5 front and 9.5 rear and needed the arches flared but only slightly.

ah right so you think if i get say 8j front and 9j rear they will be ok with just rolled arches. on a 16" rim?
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: shelaghmk3gti on 22 April 2012, 18:24
staines accept my request on dub swap plz xx
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 22 April 2012, 18:33
staines accept my request on dub swap plz xx

dont mate. i forgot i even had that group on facebook lol
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: Junior74 on 22 April 2012, 19:34
You might be alright mate I think but I would talk to tweed, he seems to know what he's on about and has a lot of good info!!! What about spacers and tires?
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 22 April 2012, 19:46
You might be alright mate I think but I would talk to tweed, he seems to know what he's on about and has a lot of good info!!! What about spacers and tires?

i will worry about tyres and spacers once i no what ET the wheels are and the width.
what is a nice safe tyre size for 8j and 9j rims? will have kids in the car alot.
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: tweed on 22 April 2012, 20:07
I have 195/45/16 all round I want 195/40/16

I would keep that on the front and go 20/45/16 on the rear with kids.

But that might be to much. Need to know the standard wheel specs.
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: leigh_harty on 22 April 2012, 20:10
Buy mine!!!!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 22 April 2012, 20:21
Buy mine!!!!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

what you got mate?
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 22 April 2012, 20:23
just had a look at yours for sale and they look good. what did you have them on? a mk3?
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: leigh_harty on 22 April 2012, 20:35
Not had them fitted yet, due to the fact I need the monies.

But to be honest if they don't sell by Thursday (their on eBay) I might try and keep them  :smiley: purely because they are daft  :cool:
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 23 April 2012, 19:03
Not had them fitted yet, due to the fact I need the monies.

But to be honest if they don't sell by Thursday (their on eBay) I might try and keep them  :smiley: purely because they are daft  :cool:

How much arch work would I need for your wheels mate?
Ars they 15" 10j rear and 9j fronts?
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 23 April 2012, 19:44
ok peeps im really considering buying leigh_hartys banded steels 15" 9j fronts and 10j rears.
what i want to no is could i have these fitted ok with just rolled arches and maybe some arch extensions not flaired arches?
also could i have a safe usable everyday driving stretch on the rear?
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: gasketface on 23 April 2012, 21:01
i'm using these,tyres are a pain to get though

http://abbeydrum.com/prod_stainless.htm
Title: Re: what banded steel width should i get
Post by: stainesy on 23 April 2012, 21:06
i'm using these,tyres are a pain to get though

http://abbeydrum.com/prod_stainless.htm

lmfao  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
douchbag  :grin:
iv actuly just stumbled across some wheels i must have on ebay but not saying anything untill i get them if i do.