GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: evereddy on 12 April 2012, 20:35

Title: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: evereddy on 12 April 2012, 20:35
Hi guys...

Currently got some VR6 BBS's on my dark green gti...which i'm kind of getting bored of.

For some really peculiar reason I really like the thought of some 16"  standard black steel wheels on my golf.  I'm not looking for a 'rat' look or anything that extreme, more an understated 'sleeper' style...

would the wider 16" beetle/bora steelies just fit straight on?  I don't want anything like the skinny silver steels off a mk3 1.6 or a GL.  I want the car to look tough!

what other 'modern' steel wheels would fit?

anyone got any pics? cant find much on the web?

Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: tweed on 12 April 2012, 21:38
They will fit straight on with a smaller tyre. 195/45/16  :wink:
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: Wayne on 12 April 2012, 22:12
As tweed said you will need to change the tyres.
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 12 April 2012, 23:35
I had some black 16'' Beetle steelies on my last mk3 briefly which coincidentally was also dragon green. They suited it very well actually.
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: jinx on 13 April 2012, 13:56
Are there any 17" steels that will fit a MK3 ?
I was considering a set for winter tyres on mine,  but they have to fit over R32 brakes, and i dunno if 16" will
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 13 April 2012, 15:07
R32 brakes are 312mm aren't they? Should just be enough room with 16" wheels
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: Dan_GTi8v on 13 April 2012, 15:10
16s fit over 312mm brakes :)
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: Wayne on 14 April 2012, 00:05
R32 brakes are 312mm aren't they? Should just be enough room with 16" wheels

I think R32 is bigger, 323mm from memory.
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 14 April 2012, 06:20
Oh really, could be a problem to fit 16's then if that's the case.
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: dom on 14 April 2012, 07:59
R32 brakes are 312mm aren't they? Should just be enough room with 16" wheels

I think R32 is bigger, 323mm from memory.

Correct :wink:
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: Wayne on 14 April 2012, 09:39
R32 brakes are 312mm aren't they? Should just be enough room with 16" wheels

I think R32 is bigger, 323mm from memory.

Correct :wink:

In that case you would need 17"s
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: twotwofour on 14 April 2012, 19:49
I've got some new in the boxes waiting for me to decide whether they are going on my wide track mk2 or mk3.

I can't decide
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: gti gaz on 14 April 2012, 19:54
i have been thinking about r32 brakes but was worried about having to use 17s as just think 17s on a mk 3 is just to big
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: Wayne on 14 April 2012, 20:51
i have been thinking about r32 brakes but was worried about having to use 17s as just think 17s on a mk 3 is just to big

They are fine, I ran 17"s on mine for 5mths all ok.
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: gti gaz on 14 April 2012, 21:14
no worries might give it a go then. just dont want to roll my arches if i can help it
Title: Re: Bora/Beetle black steelies on MK3...
Post by: Wayne on 14 April 2012, 21:33
no worries might give it a go then. just dont want to roll my arches if i can help it

I only had to trim a little off the rear, I ran 7x17 with a 35 offset and 205/40's