GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Thom89 on 31 October 2010, 19:23

Title: Golf prices..
Post by: Thom89 on 31 October 2010, 19:23
Ok, not been discussed for a while, what do you think your Golf is now worth, more or less since you bought it, and as we seem to be coming out of recession, how do you see prices (Probably rising)  over the next couple of years...
Personally, I see a strong move to restore the better cars back to a more factory level, and genuine second hand GTI parts start to rise in price. Unmolested non enthusiast owned cars are now very thin on the ground, especially after the pointless "Scrappage" scheme, bringing the Mk2s status forward by a few years, and pretty much putting it now in line with the Mk1, and will surely start to catch it up price wise....
Discuss..

Thom
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Sam on 31 October 2010, 19:38
I think mine has gone up. It may sound like a bit of a crazy price to some people but have it insured at £4k, the cost of a straight well looked after mk2 16v is £2k atm then add the alloys, racing suspension, and the £5k turbo conversion plus the history of the car been stealths original demo car it may even be worth more  :smiley:
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: X4MGS on 31 October 2010, 19:42
I would hope that mine is at least worth what I paid for plus the re-spray.... If its worth more then great... If its worth less - so what!!!

I didn't buy it to make money - I bought it cos I wanted it and sod the money!!!!!

As for running expenses - well thats what you expect when running any car!!

I agree that I see OEM style cars being worth more in the longer run over molested ones...
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Thom89 on 31 October 2010, 20:08
Last year I was offered 4.5K for mine at Players, the guy was serious as he'd approached me at a few other events earlier in the year, and on one occasion had a grand in cash as a deposit, even had one guy wanting to do a straight swap with an 03 plate TT.... errr no thanks... though no offers of any kind this year, though Im not interested at all in selling, and i only paid £600 for my car in 03...
Thom
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Mr Blue on 31 October 2010, 20:16
Even I am having trouble finding OEM parts these days.

MK2's have been going up every other month (a good thing) :wink:
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Sam on 31 October 2010, 20:24
Yer tis good news, was only thinking today about buying another fairly standard 16v and getting it back to stock as i now have the space at me mum and dads
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: X4MGS on 31 October 2010, 20:40
Even I am having trouble finding OEM parts these days.

MK2's have been going up every other month (a good thing) :wink:

You say that;  But I think it only applies to the correct models & colours....

I've had no interest in my 88 5 dr in white @£1400.00

Parts are getting to be an issue that why I keep buying what I can off the bay & storing some and selling others!!
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Thom89 on 31 October 2010, 20:41
It was noticeable for me this year, just how many OEM cars are starting to appear at shows with not much more than a set of BBS splits, which quite frankly looks as good as anything, and gets my vote :wink:

Thom
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: emery1990 on 31 October 2010, 20:59
Im hoping they will rise! Got bumped off so hoping it'll be worth close 3k when Im finished. But I'm unsure as is it being an engine swap with megasquirt and after market suspension count as molested ? Probably does.

Yer I think they look best on bbs's.
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: jeremybarker on 31 October 2010, 21:39
Well i'd like to think that i'd get £800 back for my white 5dr, i don't quite see them having the same value as a MK1 GTI though, i would have thought a very clean MK2 would be £3-4k and MK1 £5k upwards. Personally i think it will be a very long time before MK2 GTI's would stand a chance of re-couping restorations costs but that's certainly not what i would expect. I anticipate putting £2k plus into sorting the bodywork and re-painting my car plus i'd love to put a VR6 engine up front.
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: jmsheahan on 31 October 2010, 22:03
If I sold my 90 spec 8v I reckon I'd only get back what I paid for it despite all of the things I've done. If I broke it I reckon I'd get back most of the big money I've paid on larger parts but there would be a lot of cash I've sunk into it I know I'd never get back.

I reckon things have stabilized but won't go up in price for a while. Always kind of felt Mk2's are right on the fence post between just an older car and classic. Not quite in Mk1 territory yet but not far off as the OP said.

Either way, mine is not going anywhere  :smiley:
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: mwep201081 on 31 October 2010, 23:33
as long as I got what I paid for it I'm not bothered what it's worth.....


60 quid 13 and half years ago.....a
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Thom89 on 31 October 2010, 23:57
Some key issues mentioned already, the 3dr/5dr one for starters, and colour also being a major factor in the hunt for the perfect Mk2, which in my opinion at the moment is a 3dr 16v SB, and not just because I've got one, there just aren't that many around these days, and it doesn't all seem to be about Oak green these days either, I reckon a mint white car could have the phone on fire, just as easy.. who would have thought! But Im sure that 3dr cars, whether small or big bumper are where its going to be at over the next year or so, especially if most have already posted on this thread have already said, or implied that their car will not be up for sale...

Thom
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: jeremybarker on 01 November 2010, 01:06
Completely disagree , white 5dr all the way as no-one bothers to save them  :grin: :grin: :grin:
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: X4MGS on 01 November 2010, 03:10
I have a White 5 Dr with small bumpers for sale now and not had one person interested... And it's totally OEM & a very Tidy Car!! For £1400.00

Bet If I Put up my 3Dr in Red at £5K I would sell it in days... But It is totally OEM+

As for Valver's v's 8V's... IMO 8V's seem to last longer and don't seem to have the running issues that Valvers have.. so in the longer term 8V's will be worth more...  :grin:
 
Who Really Wants A Valver anyway?? :evil:
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: tony_ack on 01 November 2010, 13:35
Think there's a big difference between what a MK2 is worth and what people think it's worth. I keep an eye on classifieds on different forums and have seen 16v 3 doors in seemingly excellent condition struggling to sell for much over £2000 and 8v about half that (there is currently a lovely small bumper 16v 3 door for sale on the Golf MK2 owners club for under £1500 with no interest). The worrying thing is that the owners forums usually represent the top of the market.

I have an 1985 3 door GTI which I was hoping to put up at about £1500 when finished, but it's become obvious that even in top condition, I would be dreaming to expect that much (luckily I've only spent about £300 on it!). For my valver, for which I have a full project thread, and is now in excellent condition, I wouldn't expect much above £2500.

Parts are no better - there are some bits which are quite hard to find in good condition, but they are few and far between. That said I had a mint 5 door rainbow interior with door cards (and I mean mint - the bolsters on the driver's side had been replaced with low mileage passenger ones) up for £170 and it took 6 weeks to sell at that price. I still have a full room of parts in my house that I am struggling to give away.

The market may recover, but at the moment it is pretty bad out there if you're trying to sell.

If you think we have it bad, I just picked up a Corrado VR6 which had been on sale for 4 months, starting at £2500. In all the time it was up, I was only the second person to even view it (the 1st had agreed to buy, left a deposit, and never came to pick it up!). I bought it for HALF of the original price listed. This is a car which has had £2800 spent on it in the last 2 years.
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: deanpompey on 01 November 2010, 13:43
Id have to agree with that.

The market is CRAAAAAAAAAAAAP right now.

my mk2 16v in Monza blue, ultraviolet interior, with a SERIOUS chassis and engine mods is struggling to find interest at £2100.

And from the other side of the fence, im about to go and pick up a T4 Transporter which would easily have sold for 6.5k a year ago, im paying £4900.

All those that think the recession is over, or never affected us in the first place, are living on cloud 9. it has affected everyone in some way, and the second hand car market is struggling, even amongst genuine enthusiasts.

On the plus side, for those of us with the money to buy the right vehicles now whilst prices are low, i think we'll all be making much larger than normal profits when we come to sell in a years time.
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: clipperjay on 01 November 2010, 13:52
It was noticeable for me this year, just how many OEM cars are starting to appear at shows with not much more than a set of BBS splits, which quite frankly looks as good as anything, and gets my vote :wink:

Thom

Thats exactly what I decided going to shows a couple of years back
So many high end cheque book cars it was like ground hog day at every show, and I spent more time in the car parks looking at QEM
Which is why the current project suits me I give far more respect to the ones who work harder to get theres looking nice than some crazy mods that say I'm insucure!
I think I enjoyed speaking to chaps who told me they had to de mod the car before they got to drive it  :cool:

On another note, loads of people slating prices being asked for in the for sale section mostly negative and no point except "Theres a better one on here for less"  
A car is worth only what you think its worth!    

So Thom how much should I sell mine after I'm finished, its a 3dr Atlas grey 16V rebuilt engine 140K with coillies?
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: xkaty_h on 01 November 2010, 13:58
I don't think I'll ever make back the amount that I spent on it so gotta wonder whether ever selling it is an idea. Obviously if I became completely bankrupt and couldn't afford a car at all then it'll have to be a possibility, but the likelihood of that happening is extremely minimal.

He doesn't owe me anything and is now (after extortionate amounts of work) not likely to have any other running issues, making him more reliable than most (mainly French) cars.

I agree with MK2s becoming more and more popular but I think there's gotta be a few more years under the belt before they start to get very good prices.

Mine's going to be with me until I die probably, I'll be the coolest 80year old around!
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: dubber36 on 01 November 2010, 14:22
I probably paid more for mine than was necessary at just under £3k 2 years ago, but it was from a dealer local to me and he had the choice of 3 cars that I could take my pic from. I figured the extra money on the price of the car would have saved me an equal amount in diesel and wasted time travelling the country looking at sheds. The same dealer is selling similar cars to mine for between £1k - £1.5k more than when I bought mine now.

I was offered a stupid amount of money for it back in the summer, but it's never going to be for sale, so in a way it's value dosn't really matter to me. I'm just glad I bought it when I did.
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 01 November 2010, 15:14
From what little research I've done - trawling Pistonheads & Autotrader - the MK2's seem to be holding their value well.

They all seem to be going for more than Mk3's. :rolleyes:

Now thats gotta be a kicker. :grin:

Jonathan.
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: X4MGS on 01 November 2010, 17:04
"Theres a better one on here for less"  
A car is worth only what you think its worth!    

A Cars True Value is WHAT SOMEONE WILL PAY for it not what you/we/me think its worth...

But as I said I don't really care I never bought it to make money on it I bought it cos I wanted it... & if I ever sell her & I make money that's a bonus...

At Least I know I'm not loosing money like I did on my RS6 and 2nd to that I'm not forking out £2-3K a year keeping it running just in service charges and brake disc's... Same could be said for any new car!!

But with a Good MK2 bought at the right money & in the right condition you should be able to have good motoring fun for relatively little cost to your wallet!! If you are sensible!!
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Neo Badness on 01 November 2010, 17:26
I was discussing this with the other half a few days ago and as I'm about to swap engines/ go fairly custom I have to face up to the fact that my car will be worth less when/ if I decide to sell it. Or at least the market will be smaller. However, it was never a minter to start with and it'd been dicked around with already. I bought it with a view of resto/ custom, and paid bottom dollar for it and anything I've done has been an improvement. Spent more than I paid for it on a OEM waterpump/cambelt and tensioner fitting etc.

Allegedly the 3dr 16v OG is fairly sought after. If I do sell it I'll never get back the time I spent but will still end up with a few quid back I think. Worst case it could always be put back to stock if they were going for 5k or something.

Have an insurance value of 3k on it. 10x what i paid :lipsrsealed:

Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 01 November 2010, 17:28
£625 two years ago.  I pretty sure I have'nt lost any money.  :grin:

(http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr182/the_flying_elvi/gti002.jpg)
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: clipperjay on 01 November 2010, 17:46
TOO MANY DOORS  :lipsrsealed:
only joking tis good looking car bargin what you got for it! thumbs up!
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 01 November 2010, 18:00
TOO MANY DOORS  :lipsrsealed:
only joking tis good looking car bargin what you got for it! thumbs up!

 :grin:

If only it still contained the leather interior that the prevoius owner only bought it for to swap into his other MK2.  :sad:

As a bonus, before he owned for all of five minues, it it was a part-ex at a dealer and they had to do lots of stuff to MOT it.  Nice set of brand new brake & fuel lines.  So that's one thing I have'nt got to change in the next 20 years.  :grin:

Jonathan.

P.S More doors =  more whores.

Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Diamond Hell on 01 November 2010, 19:46
Shortly after I bought it:

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/diamondhell/P7140001lr.jpg)

It cost £155 on the bay of e about five years ago.

I have no idea what it's worth in its 9minute 'ring lap trim now, but then that's not of any interest, is it?

The only way it's leaving my tenure is if I'm in a box, or if it's going to be cubed.  :grin:
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Reasty on 01 November 2010, 20:32
I disagree with the whole "white ones dont sell" if you look on pistonheads the majority of the white ones that appear arnt listed for very long before being snapped up,i do think that 3dr ones are more sort after but saying that it would seem by this years mk2 calender entries that the 5dr mk2's heavily outweigh the 3dr ones,my own is a 3dr alpine white 1990 16v and ive had plenty of offers for it and bits of paper under the windscreen wiper at shows saying "if you would like to sell contact this number"
I paid £900 for it 8 years ago and now i reckon its atleast worth double if not more.
I think if you love your mk2 as much as i love mine then its a priceless possesion and even after 8 years and it now becoming a second car i wont be selling mine anytime soon.  :smiley:
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: apie2004 on 01 November 2010, 20:43
I have a fairly average helios blue (dont see why this isnt more popular than OG), needs a little bodywork and some nicer wheels but in otherwise good nick. £1k in June
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: bodga on 01 November 2010, 21:30
Well im quite sad at the mo. decided to put mine into hibernation for the winter and im missing her already :cry: Brother inlaw has a nice empty garage and he aint charging me so i had to do it.

(http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/bodga/DSC01176.jpg)

i wont take her out in the wet, ice or snow so i cant see any point in tax and insurance to sit on my drive for the winter.

best time to sell a mk2 is in the summer. most of them come out when the sun is out pople see them then people want them then prices go up :grin:
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 01 November 2010, 22:08
Shortly after I bought it:

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/diamondhell/P7140001lr.jpg)

It cost £155 on the bay of e about five years ago.

I have no idea what it's worth in its 9minute 'ring lap trim now, but then that's not of any interest, is it?

The only way it's leaving my tenure is if I'm in a box, or if it's going to be cubed.  :grin:

But all the folks at home are wondering:  What does it look like now?


Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: andykram on 01 November 2010, 22:24
I don't reckon I'm going to make any money on mine but I paid good money only last April for mine as it was pretty mint already. I certainly wouldn't make the money back that I've spent on it and I still have a few hundred to spend to get it absolutely showroom level.
Then I'm going to sit and stare at it - certainly ain't going to sell it. But I do sense the really mint original ones will fetch decent money. An article about exactly this topic in Volkswagen Driver a couple of months ago seemed to echo that.
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Diamond Hell on 01 November 2010, 22:43
But all the folks at home are wondering:  What does it look like now?

In April, after doing about 20 laps of the 'ring during the DNN track day:

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/diamondhell/IMG_1564LR.jpg)

It's just dustier now.
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 01 November 2010, 22:57
Nice.

So Thomas, is a Syncro "a lot better" than a 16V.  I only ask as I have thought about getting a Syncro and doing it up instead of the valver.  Is the  4WD weight a killer?

I've had a quick look around http://www.vwsyncro.co.uk/

But can't seem to find any for sale.  I reasoned that if I was going to spend time and money on a MK2, I may as well pick the best and make it the better.

It wouldn't be a track car.

Jonathan.
Title: Re: Golf prices..
Post by: Diamond Hell on 01 November 2010, 23:05
It would take a lot of 'doing up'.

Better to find a GTI G60 Syncro in Germany and keep it stock, or just uprate the dampers and coils.

The experience of a well-set-up Syncro is significantly different to a 2WD Golf2.

Rear negative camber when lowered.

Masses more traction out of corners.

Mine probably weighs in at 1080kg (wet) with the ABF in it.

100kg penalty.  Worth paying?  I think so, but then I would.

That website's not full of a great deal.  Lots of talk, not much action.

Maybe I'll make it to the VAG Action Day next year.  Tap me up for a passenger session if I do.