GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Pearce69 on 30 September 2010, 13:56

Title: Cheap coilovers
Post by: Pearce69 on 30 September 2010, 13:56
Hey all

Im after soom cheap coilovers that are half decent for the money u pay. My golf is my 2nd car and only does about 3k a year so i didnt want to pay big bucks for them as i need to really consentrate on getting the rust sorted. In pvw i saw some rokkor coilovers that are cheap and they say that they are pretty good. Has anyone had these before?

Cheers arron
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: rob.043 on 30 September 2010, 14:07
So you have looked at the spring/shock options, and dicided you must get some cheap coilovers? They can be bought for sub £200 on ebay, and I get the impression that a similar product is sold under a variety of names at a variety of prices. Second hand kits are frequently sold too, and may offer an inexpensive solution, and even the chance to get something of better performance.

Im dont have any reccomendations tho. I had a golf with Jamex coilivers on it (a cheap brand) which were harsh, but worked ok. My current bilstein shocks and springs are better tho, providing more balance.

good luck in finding some, but do you really need them now? Can you make do with what you have and get the rust issues sorted before another damp wimter rolls in?
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: Agreeable Slick on 30 September 2010, 14:14
don't bother, just get a spring shock combo.

Something like spax / eibach should be ok. Or even just get boge and eibachs. they will work just as well.
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: Pearce69 on 30 September 2010, 14:36
I currently have 40mm spax springs with standard dampers. But my rear dampers are broke so I need new ones but I like the idea of adjustable suspension. I need to sort it out by fen cuz that's when it's mot is due
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: Agreeable Slick on 30 September 2010, 14:40
Well if you are determined to get coilovers, then pay the money for them. Coilovers are very much you get what you pay for. Cheap ones will rust, bind, and then you will need to replace them again.

Shock and springs are the cheaper, and in terms of cost vs performance, arguably the better option.
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: Ben Lessani on 30 September 2010, 22:42
Cheap ones will rust, bind, and then you will need to replace them again.

I don't really agree with that. Even expensive ones will rust/bind if they are not treated properly after fitting. I've had my (cheap) coilovers fitted for 3 years now and they are mostly rust free (on the threads) and the adjusters move relatively easily (and they've only ever been adjusted twice).

HOWEVER, sub-£400 coilovers are sh!t - hard, uncomfortable and won't last more than a couple of years - TOTAL false economy.

I'm looking for some new kit atm, Weitec GTNs or something along those lines, but I don't really want to spend £400 on suspension (on top of the £200 already wasted on cheap coilys), when I'm not sure I'm keeping the car :undecided:
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: Agreeable Slick on 30 September 2010, 23:32
Cheap ones will rust, bind, and then you will need to replace them again.

HOWEVER, sub-£400 coilovers are sh!t - hard, uncomfortable and won't last more than a couple of years - TOTAL false economy.

Perhaps I should have quantifed it. Sub £400 coilovers I would class as generically cheap thus sh!tty.

£4-600 every day good spec.

£600+ track spec.

Again though, my original point stands pay up or pay out over and over again.
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: cняis on 30 September 2010, 23:48
Cheap ones will rust, bind, and then you will need to replace them again.

I don't really agree with that. Even expensive ones will rust/bind if they are not treated properly after fitting. I've had my (cheap) coilovers fitted for 3 years now and they are mostly rust free (on the threads) and the adjusters move relatively easily (and they've only ever been adjusted twice).

HOWEVER, sub-£400 coilovers are sh!t - hard, uncomfortable and won't last more than a couple of years - TOTAL false economy.

I'm looking for some new kit atm, Weitec GTNs or something along those lines, but I don't really want to spend £400 on suspension (on top of the £200 already wasted on cheap coilys), when I'm not sure I'm keeping the car :undecided:

I run these...

Weitec Hicon GTN's go for just under £400 and are very good for the money, even with a lumpy VR6 unit up front. Brilliant for everyday use. Coilover rings are plastic so i assume wont bind as easily. Mine have been on for about 3000 miles/7 months and show no signs of rust

The ride gives great feedback without being harsh or bumpy.

To clarify the the GTN's are coilover fronts and adjustable (ride height) shocks on the rear.
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: Ben Lessani on 01 October 2010, 00:06
My only hiccup with those is that I binned the original shocks and top mounts - so I don't have any of the rear assembly upper parts, plus, I loathe working with spring compressors (unless its the proper vice type - which I don't own!).

I'd gladly have http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=15338813 if I had the spring plates etc.

Or maybe http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=555572725

Problem with traditional shocks is that I'll need all the peripheral bits (bumpstops etc.)
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: cняis on 01 October 2010, 00:27
My only hiccup with those is that I binned the original shocks and top mounts - so I don't have any of the rear assembly upper parts, plus, I loathe working with spring compressors (unless its the proper vice type - which I don't own!).

I'd gladly have http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=15338813 if I had the spring plates etc.

Or maybe http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=555572725

Problem with traditional shocks is that I'll need all the peripheral bits (bumpstops etc.)

A particular ballache, i had to buy bump stops, rear top mounts and everything in-between (mostly genuine) to rebuild the rear struts!
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: Ben Lessani on 01 October 2010, 00:42
Here's a practical purchase http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=444485 lol
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: jp123 on 02 October 2010, 11:18
So basically unless your wanting to spend at least 500 quid dont go down the coilover route. So can anybody give me some links or recommendations for a good shock and spring combo.
Title: Re: Cheap coilovers
Post by: cняis on 02 October 2010, 13:46
So basically unless your wanting to spend at least 500 quid dont go down the coilover route. So can anybody give me some links or recommendations for a good shock and spring combo.

well my sub £400 weitec GTNs are great, but not sure they would noticably out-handle a good shock/spring combo i.e.: boge turbo shocks and eibach lowering springs