GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: bosco on 28 September 2010, 09:39
-
hi i have a 1.6 mk2 golf and was thinking about doing an engine conversion. is a 16v kr a hugely complicated one? should i do a different one if so what do you recommend? thanks ross
-
How much money have you got? To be honest mate its probally gonna be cheaper/easyer to just buy a 16v, there is one in the for sale section atm for £995
-
What he just said.
-
Not really tbh. his 1.6 shell may be awesome, that £1000 one may be a crap shell, to get a decent 16v your looking at around £1500 -£2000 going up to £3000.
Arnt kr engines like £80? then the other stuff needed for it to work, surely it wouldnt cost over a grand.
Or maybe put a 2.0l in there.
-
Transplant it. Ul also save on tax and insurance:). Get yourself a scrap/ rotten 16v as a donor cos u will need quite a lot to do it all (mech+elec fuel lines,pump etc). If the kr engine turns out to be dead slap an abf in n run it on kjet.that's wot I did... For 600quid plus sundries/new odds n sods!
-
Transplant it. Ul also save on tax and insurance:).
Surely that's a tiny bit illegal?
-
Transplant it. Ul also save on tax and insurance:).
Surely that's a tiny bit illegal?
only if he smashes it up and insurance find out he has wedged a 1.8 valver in place of his 1.6 and refuse to pay out.
but if you declare the mods to the dvla and insurance then no prob at all :grin:
-
If you kill someone then youd have to pay out for their family, victim of crime etc which could be a sh1t load!. Even hurting someone really bad and they claim for 20k. Youd be in debt for a long time.!!
I can hardly talk though insuring my car as a 1.8 for a few months but whens it back on the road im telling them its a 2.0l for peace of mind.
-
ABF is probably a better route to go down, they're newer, more reliable, probably more available and more powerful.
-
Transplant it. Ul also save on tax and insurance
Daft idea
-
ABF is probably a better route to go down, they're newer, more reliable, probably more available and more powerful.
As above, these engines are fast. Even better in a mk2! That said, and i don't care what anyone else say's, a vr6 engine in a mk2 is the nuts. 0-60 in 5.2 secs and 1/4 mile in 15 dead. :cool:
-
Transplant it. Ul also save on tax and insurance:). Get yourself a scrap/ rotten 16v as a donor cos u will need quite a lot to do it all (mech+elec fuel lines,pump etc). If the kr engine turns out to be dead slap an abf in n run it on kjet.that's wot I did... For 600quid plus sundries/new odds n sods!
This is a stupid idea. Do it once and properly and install an ABF on OEM management. G3 16Vs are now cheaper and easier to find than G2 16Vs.
As for not declaring it. :rolleyes:
-
This is a stupid idea. Do it once and properly and install an ABF on OEM management. G3 16Vs are now cheaper and easier to find than G2 16Vs.
As for not declaring it. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
yeah maybe in hindsight id have gone for the digi rather than kjet, but didnt know that at time, plus it means getting a mk3 donor car for the conversion, whereas i figured buying a mk2 would mean everything was guaranteed to swap over, and i wouldnt need anythin else.. thought that a mk3 might be more aggro with different drivetrain etc etc. it still makes 160bhp - and the kjet gear seems ok for now, if it really plays me up in time ill find myself a digi loom and swap it over...
as for insurance they wanted an extra 250 per year for the 1.3 - 16v, and at the time, with tax engine conversion costs etc i just didnt have it to spare... will be doing it on next years in a few months tho, as its not even £1 a day so welll worth it...
-
I think you should just by a G ladder and drop a G60 you will have at least 170BHP on tap and yes its stupidly expensive if that supercharger goes, but it will kill a standard ABF plus the 8V IH block is lighter due to its 8V's :wink: Has anyone G'ed up a ABF yet if so what specs and performance did it give I wonder?
-
I think you should just by a G ladder and drop a G60 you will have at least 170BHP on tap and yes its stupidly expensive if that supercharger goes, but it will kill a standard ABF plus the 8V IH block is lighter due to its 8V's :wink: Has anyone G'ed up a ABF yet if so what specs and performance did it give I wonder?
I might be wrong but: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167851.0 is this a ABF in this thread.
-
ABF is probably a better route to go down, they're newer, more reliable, probably more available and more powerful.
As above, these engines are fast. Even better in a mk2! That said, and i don't care what anyone else say's, a vr6 engine in a mk2 is the nuts. 0-60 in 5.2 secs and 1/4 mile in 15 dead. :cool:
0-60 in 5.2 seconds!? I assume your talkin clicks?
-
sorry, but I'd take a breathed on valver over a VR in a mk2 any day.
Quicker, and more fun.
-
I can comfortably second that Mr Slick
-
sorry, but I'd take a breathed on valver over a VR in a mk2 any day.
Quicker, and more fun.
+1 :smiley:
-
ABF is probably a better route to go down, they're newer, more reliable, probably more available and more powerful.
As above, these engines are fast. Even better in a mk2! That said, and i don't care what anyone else say's, a vr6 engine in a mk2 is the nuts. 0-60 in 5.2 secs and 1/4 mile in 15 dead. :cool:
0-60 in 5.2 seconds!? I assume your talkin clicks?
Sorry, 6.2 :smiley:
-
I think you should just by a G ladder and drop a G60 you will have at least 170BHP on tap and yes its stupidly expensive if that supercharger goes, but it will kill a standard ABF plus the 8V IH block is lighter due to its 8V's :wink: Has anyone G'ed up a ABF yet if so what specs and performance did it give I wonder?
I might be wrong but: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167851.0 is this a ABF in this thread.
Looks like a KR G arent the abf's a tad different set up to G?
:undecided:
All the same it looks good that Mk1 just not sure about the alternator mount right behind the roasting manifold :undecided:
-
I think you should just by a G ladder and drop a G60 you will have at least 170BHP on tap and yes its stupidly expensive if that supercharger goes, but it will kill a standard ABF plus the 8V IH block is lighter due to its 8V's :wink: Has anyone G'ed up a ABF yet if so what specs and performance did it give I wonder?
I might be wrong but: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167851.0 is this a ABF in this thread.
Looks like a KR G arent the abf's a tad different set up to G?
:undecided:
All the same it looks good that Mk1 just not sure about the alternator mount right behind the roasting manifold :undecided:
I would also be worried about no cam belt cover.
-
That's a rocco 16v manifold on what looks to be a KR :nerd:
-
That's a rocco 16v manifold on what looks to be a KR :nerd:
:wink: Nice powered coat look that manifold has looks textured!
-
How much money have you got? To be honest mate its probally gonna be cheaper/easyer to just buy a 16v, there is one in the for sale section atm for £995
Ah that was mine sold it now, the shell was perfect from what I could see, pretty much no rust but I think the stem seals was on there way out. I'm missing it already!