GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Simpson on 20 September 2010, 22:34

Title: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Simpson on 20 September 2010, 22:34
Right need to rant about golf. Changed heater matrix the other day and now the old pipes are peeing water everywhere so every morning i have to top her up with over a litre of water! and too busy to put the dahs back together and also trying to find a leak from drivers side behind dash. I am sure its the windscreen seal but i don´t get why as i filled loads of sealant when i fitted it!

And also a leak from the boot which looks like it comes from the reat quarter but i have already sealed that up so i cant figure out where its coming from!
Oh and one of the pulleys is squeeking rather scarily! Sometimes i think i should sell and get a Lupo or something! sorry had to rant whats up with yours?  :smiley:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Mitching on 20 September 2010, 22:36
I love it, everything was running smoothly BUT.. went to get the wheels balanced today, turns out I need 4 new tyres, tracking, rear wheel bearing and CV joint  :shocked: :cry:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Ben Lessani on 20 September 2010, 22:40
I drove over raised iron-works months ago and shafted something and still haven't figured out what. So it feels extremely vague, verging on damn near dangerous, but no amount of poking and prodding has shown anything is even loose.

Its developed a weird rear-end knock (following from the above).

The drivers-side foot-well is almost continually wet.

Even though I have replaced every engine mount, the engine is rocking like f**king crazy!

4 years of never ending repairs and now I hate it and am currently looking for a (newer) replacement car :'(
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Simpson on 20 September 2010, 22:51
I know they are great cars but sometimes there seems to be more to life than messing about under the bonnet o9f these cars. I would like to say stick at it but then i´d be hypocritical!

Oh as for your rear end knock not sure get it on a ramp! and as for the drivers side leak seal bonnet release cable, plate under ecu and windscreen seal dont think there is anywhere on that side they leak!
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Thom89 on 20 September 2010, 23:00
The way the dust collects on the rear screen, after the shortest of drives

Thom
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: mwep201081 on 20 September 2010, 23:06
I know they are great cars but sometimes there seems to be more to life than messing about under the bonnet o9f these cars.

Hate to say it but that sounds like old age kicking in fella!! :grin:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Mew on 20 September 2010, 23:10
The 2 extra doors someone has put on the rear
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Mr Blue on 20 September 2010, 23:16
The way the dust collects on the rear screen, after the shortest of drives

Thom

+1

I was just about to start this thread.

I hate cleaning it. Its a chore with all the plastic trim to avoid whilst polishing/waxing etc.

Worst car to clean EVA :lipsrsealed:


also hate the scene tax :evil:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: cняis on 21 September 2010, 00:49
I drove over raised iron-works months ago and shafted something and still haven't figured out what. So it feels extremely vague, verging on damn near dangerous, but no amount of poking and prodding has shown anything is even loose.

Its developed a weird rear-end knock (following from the above).


failed rear axle bushes will cause vague and 'wadery' steering and/or knocking
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: OakeyDoak16v on 21 September 2010, 02:01
Right need to rant about golf. Changed heater matrix the other day and now the old pipes are peeing water everywhere so every morning i have to top her up with over a litre of water! and too busy to put the dahs back together and also trying to find a leak from drivers side behind dash. I am sure its the windscreen seal but i don´t get why as i filled loads of sealant when i fitted it!

And also a leak from the boot which looks like it comes from the reat quarter but i have already sealed that up so i cant figure out where its coming from!
Oh and one of the pulleys is squeeking rather scarily! Sometimes i think i should sell and get a Lupo or something! sorry had to rant whats up with yours?  :smiley:

Hi Chris.
As far as i know you are the king of leaky water. It sounds like your replacment matrix is either fecked or you need to look at the plumbing.
Is your rain water not coming in through your drivers doors? What about getting in  through the rear reg plate if the holding screw holes are rotten?
Happy mk2 ownership all the way mate, don't forget about the old skool if you need any advice / info.
Baz  :smiley:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Reasty on 21 September 2010, 08:41
+2 on dust on the rear window  :grin:

I also hate the way people moan about mk2's,they are old cars and require tlc and the occasional problem solving excersise,remember they are 20 year old cars I think they are more reliable than most! aslong as you keep on top of them,I love my mk2 and it's quirky faults!
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: jimmyhodge on 21 September 2010, 10:01
I hate the way that no matter how hard I try i'm always looking to improve it in some way! What was a small restro project has turned into a 6months later close to full restro project inc new interior etc etc!  :smiley:

But I must add even though i've had my fair share of grief with this project I still love it ! It is a 20year old car at the end of the day and faults are to be expected...

Also i'd much rather work on my mk2 than I would my much more modern dare I say it civic! That thing always seems to be going wrong!  :sad:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Ben Lessani on 21 September 2010, 10:11
failed rear axle bushes will cause vague and 'wadery' steering and/or knocking

Any proven methods to test? I had it up on the ramps last weekend with a giant lever in and around most suspension components checking for slack/play - but couldn't see anything moving.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: rob.043 on 21 September 2010, 10:44
Just remember we are all preserving a classic!

Rear end dust collection is a menace, mud flaps would of course help but dont look as good...

I often get derigitory comments when I tell non car enthusiast friends about my work on the car, these are often encouraged by me slagging some french piece of rubbish they drive. I have to point out that no one will be caring for any of their cars when they are 20 years old, as they will be a rusty cube, or already reformed into a dishwasher!

Ben, you will find the source of your problems im sure! You cant get a newer car- ive read your project thread, your car is a legend!
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: delirical on 21 September 2010, 10:59
The fact i have a g60 and dont really know what im doing...

I hope a new relay '80' is going to stop it misfiring..

Oh yea and the fact my rev gauge has a  mind of its own..

And that there is a flat spot at 3000rpm... i onlyget a chance to work on it at weekends as its dark when i leave in the morning and dark when i get home  :sad:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: X4MGS on 21 September 2010, 11:40
NOWT!!!!  :laugh:

Just Love Her!!! :kiss:

Only Issue I have is With The Boge Turbo Inserts - But Thats not the Cars Fault.  It's Mine For Not Buying OEM Shocks!!!
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: the_stink on 21 September 2010, 13:35
well lets see. . . . :grin:

well i just hate the fact that i dont have the money to get it where i wnat right now, aside that its just silly little things liek the fact i wanted to get my wheel alignment done but when i was at Pro tyre the guy pointed out before they could do it I needed to replace my front top mounts and rear wheel bearings so they can do an accurate alignment

but things like only the passengerside electric window works, the car doesnt de mist very well, only the light on the speedometer works, so at night i cant really see how much petrol i have

again its just little things that I need to fix that aside and me crashing it, its a great car,

I have little patients though thats my problem :P Im gettign better, slowly!
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: kittie on 21 September 2010, 14:47
The fact that I'm fairly sure the head gasket is going and I have no money to get it fixed  :cry:

But when it's right it never fails to bring a smile to my face even after 4 years, so it's all worth it in the end  :smiley:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: emery1990 on 21 September 2010, 16:31
Rusted nuts  :angry:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: clipperjay on 21 September 2010, 16:43
Rusted nuts  :angry:

You don't grease them up and play with them enough.... :evil:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Gloves88 on 21 September 2010, 16:46
Rusted nuts  :angry:

That and the random leaks that always seem to develop...always somewhere different!
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Horney on 21 September 2010, 16:48
Rust.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: emery1990 on 21 September 2010, 17:01
Rusted nuts  :angry:

You don't grease them up and play with them enough.... :evil:

gas plus then leave, play for ten minutes for a few days was enough for me to get the grinder out  :angry:  :grin:

Ive noticed all the nuts that dont need touching arnt rusted but all the ones you need to get off are !!  :huh:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: spacerat on 21 September 2010, 18:07
the £450 bill to get it through mot ive just had.  AND ive still got o tax it tonight another £100+     
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: cняis on 21 September 2010, 19:30
failed rear axle bushes will cause vague and 'wadery' steering and/or knocking

Any proven methods to test? I had it up on the ramps last weekend with a giant lever in and around most suspension components checking for slack/play - but couldn't see anything moving.

TBH our MOT tester failed it for excessive play on the MOT, as the inner rubber bushes had fallen apart in 3 pieces resulting in a lot of play. the rear axle was floating a fair but so the car would track dangerously and i was constantly correcting it with the steering wheel. It was as if it had rear wheel steering  :laugh:

I'd stopped driving it for 10 days prior to the MOT test as i felt it was dangerous.

I assume he used his big bar and prised the beam to check for play
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: spacerat on 21 September 2010, 19:55
failed rear axle bushes will cause vague and 'wadery' steering and/or knocking

Any proven methods to test? I had it up on the ramps last weekend with a giant lever in and around most suspension components checking for slack/play - but couldn't see anything moving.

TBH our MOT tester failed it for excessive play on the MOT, as the inner rubber bushes had fallen apart in 3 pieces resulting in a lot of play. the rear axle was floating a fair but so the car would track dangerously and i was constantly correcting it with the steering wheel. It was as if it had rear wheel steering  :laugh:

I'd stopped driving it for 10 days prior to the MOT test as i felt it was dangerous.

I assume he used his big bar and prised the beam to check for play

one of the many things that caused my big bill
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: daniel-1986 on 21 September 2010, 19:56
Rust

and its a 1.3 that wont do any better than 33mpg  :angry:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: dan_apps on 21 September 2010, 20:17
Rust.

+1 :sad: :cry:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Diamond Hell on 21 September 2010, 20:24
I don't get to drive the bloody thing enough.

That is all.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 21 September 2010, 20:45
I have a 3 door Mk2 - 1985 B reg - completely rust free sitting in my garage.  Sitting in my garage for the  last 10 years.  It'll keep sitting there while I have the valver, as I can't decide what to do with it.

May be worth a few bob in a few years.  :grin:

Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Haribo! on 21 September 2010, 20:47
If it rains heavy bough it drips on my head
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: X4MGS on 21 September 2010, 21:18
If it rains heavy bough it drips on my head

Time for a new sunroof seal...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360281095893
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: X4MGS on 21 September 2010, 21:21
and its a 1.3 that wont do any better than 33mpg  :angry:

Heavy car and small engine... I get better out of my Digi 8V... :wink:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: mwep201081 on 21 September 2010, 21:35
and its a 1.3 that wont do any better than 33mpg  :angry:

That's not good...I get around 45 out of my 1.3. Unless I use it for work (only 2.5 miles away so I normally bike) then it drinks fuel, as it will be on choke for nearly all the journey.

Getting rid of the Pierburg carb helped no end.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: harry bum on 21 September 2010, 21:37
that i'm guna sell it!! harsh times
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: bodga on 21 September 2010, 21:47
I don't get to drive the bloody thing enough.

That is all.


+1,

 sunny day + country lane + valver = me with a big cheesy grin

also i like this car for its faults, not that many thou to be honest, reliable cars are boring :tongue:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Haribo! on 21 September 2010, 22:27
and its a 1.3 that wont do any better than 33mpg  :angry:

Heavy car and small engine... I get better out of my Digi 8V... :wink:

hang on, it isnt the seal that stops the leak is it? I thought it was more to do with the drainage channels or whatever theyre called?
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Ben Lessani on 21 September 2010, 22:30
and its a 1.3 that wont do any better than 33mpg  :angry:

Heavy car and small engine... I get better out of my Digi 8V... :wink:

hang on, it isnt the seal that stops the leak is it? I thought it was more to do with the drainage channels or whatever theyre called?

I think you quoted the wrong person :D

And yes, you're pretty much right, there can be a gap all round and it can still not dribble on your head as long as everything else is in working order. Mine was missing a big metal bit that allowed the water to drain out the rear properly - so it would continually dribble on me!
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Haribo! on 21 September 2010, 22:31
and its a 1.3 that wont do any better than 33mpg  :angry:

Heavy car and small engine... I get better out of my Digi 8V... :wink:

hang on, it isnt the seal that stops the leak is it? I thought it was more to do with the drainage channels or whatever theyre called?

I think you quoted the wrong person :D

And yes, you're pretty much right, there can be a gap all round and it can still not dribble on your head as long as everything else is in working order.

heh, so I did  :laugh:

and WOOP, I was right for a change and I did it all by myself :D this is like the first time I went potty without help :D
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: tony_ack on 21 September 2010, 22:33
As of today...

It runs well better than it has ever done and mechanically everything is sound
All the electrics are working, and working properly
There are no leaks, and the heater works fine
The bodywork is clean, pretty much rust free and scrubs up well
The interior is tidy and not worn
Still 2 months until MOT time

 :smug:

The thing I hate most about it is that I know it won't last that way for long.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: X4MGS on 21 September 2010, 22:35
Right person wrong quote...  :grin:

The seal must "seal" something else they wouldn't fit one and call it a SEAL  :tongue:

Get some wire down the holes to unblock 'em then...

and its a 1.3 that wont do any better than 33mpg  :angry:

Heavy car and small engine... I get better out of my Digi 8V... :wink:

hang on, it isnt the seal that stops the leak is it? I thought it was more to do with the drainage channels or whatever theyre called?

I think you quoted the wrong person :D

And yes, you're pretty much right, there can be a gap all round and it can still not dribble on your head as long as everything else is in working order. Mine was missing a big metal bit that allowed the water to drain out the rear properly - so it would continually dribble on me!
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Ben Lessani on 21 September 2010, 22:37
Right person wrong quote...  :grin:

The seal must "seal" something else they wouldn't fit one and call it a SEAL  :tongue:

What do these seal

(http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMnWRcGXC09IQkNcpKMqCkkSHqgotqAXZE_SrtaRgmPQe_U20&t=1&usg=__YL3yMkWvN-BIuVsQ9QEs_S5A0X0=)(http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmuJcmC4EVK8ey9nGtlGEqXH0Uaqx9KZnvJZwTs0DxQYOAHq4&t=1&usg=__3UTq5afs4nD_W22XzTCl6B9oGOw=)

The seal is made of felt, not rubber, it only really seals against wind - it happily absorbs water and lets it flow right through.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Haribo! on 21 September 2010, 22:39


The seal is made of felt, not rubber, it only really seals against wind - it happily absorbs water and lets it flow right through.

And onto my head
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Ben Lessani on 21 September 2010, 22:41


The seal is made of felt, not rubber, it only really seals against wind - it happily absorbs water and lets it flow right through.

And onto my head

Check you've got all the parts, in the diagram below, fitted. Mine was missing #9

(http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/5058/sunroofxb2.jpg)
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Haribo! on 21 September 2010, 22:52
I know im good al the way down to part 25, cause i took it all apart to change 3 and 3a cause i thought they were the problem i had before but it turned out that someone even less mechanically knowledgable than me put the deflector arms onthe wrong sides upside down.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: bundy on 21 September 2010, 23:06
that ive had it over 2 years have only driven it back from getting it MOT'd then its sat on my drive getting rusty and unless i get a massive pay rise any time soon it stay like that   :cry:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: cняis on 21 September 2010, 23:21
To cure a leaky sunroof:

Tools Required:
1x tube of RTV silicone
1x phillips screwdriver

Method:
Seal the outside of the sunroof with the RTV silicone. Unscrew and remove the sunroof winder handle. You are now leak free for under £5

You can thank me later chaps.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Mitching on 21 September 2010, 23:35
Yeah, Mastic that bad boy up!  :cool:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: myvr6isarocket on 21 September 2010, 23:52
Right person wrong quote...  :grin:

The seal must "seal" something else they wouldn't fit one and call it a SEAL  :tongue:

What do these seal

(http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMnWRcGXC09IQkNcpKMqCkkSHqgotqAXZE_SrtaRgmPQe_U20&t=1&usg=__YL3yMkWvN-BIuVsQ9QEs_S5A0X0=)(http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmuJcmC4EVK8ey9nGtlGEqXH0Uaqx9KZnvJZwTs0DxQYOAHq4&t=1&usg=__3UTq5afs4nD_W22XzTCl6B9oGOw=)

The seal is made of felt, not rubber, it only really seals against wind - it happily absorbs water and lets it flow right through.

Isnt he thumping one into Heidi Klume?
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: X4MGS on 21 September 2010, 23:59
Note To Self; Never Buy a car from a guy called cняis...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To cure a leaky sunroof:

Tools Required:
1x tube of RTV silicone
1x phillips screwdriver

Method:
Seal the outside of the sunroof with the RTV silicone. Unscrew and remove the sunroof winder handle. You are now leak free for under £5

You can thank me later chaps.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Mr Blue on 22 September 2010, 00:07
If it rains heavy bough it drips on my head

Time for a new sunroof seal...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360281095893

I would buy genuine oem. These are similar but not the best quality as i found out the hard/expensive way.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: X4MGS on 22 September 2010, 00:11
They quote it as from the OEM supplier...

So you are saying it's not?

If it rains heavy bough it drips on my head

Time for a new sunroof seal...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360281095893

I would buy genuine oem. These are similar but not the best quality as i found out the hard/expensive way.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Sam on 22 September 2010, 08:28
The way its so cool that it makes people faint, pretty annoying when driving down the high street in my town.
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: jezza16v on 22 September 2010, 09:02
Some parts are no longer available new anywhere now it seems. (e.g. steering UJ gaiter)
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: cняis on 22 September 2010, 09:59
scene tax on big bumper sill covers... or most things for that matter.

The way its so cool that it makes people faint, pretty annoying when driving down the high street in my town.

lol try driving an orange one!
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: theclash on 22 September 2010, 13:39
mines totaly reliable has to be its my daily driver, done all the niggly jobs and she flew through the mot  :smiley:
i wish the lambretta was as good! had the engine in bits 4 times now and its not done 100 miles yet since i first built it  :laugh:
Title: Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
Post by: Mr Blue on 22 September 2010, 20:25
They quote it as from the OEM supplier...

So you are saying it's not?


I compaired both and the one listed did not seat properly. The material peeled away in the corners and it was only a few weeks.