GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: dubber36 on 16 September 2010, 08:46
-
I'm lucky enough to have a Mk2 with one previous owner, full service history and all the bills from new.
Even though I only do a few hundred miles a year, I want to keep this up and keep the cars history file up to date. This means an annual trip to the dealers.
I rang them today to book it in for basically an oil change and a stamp in the book.
"That'll be £140 please sir."
"That's a bit steep" I said, "what does that include?"
"Our basic lubrication service includes, oil and filter, pollen filter, so many point health check, scan for stored fault codes and a wash and vac."
I said "I don't have a pollen filter, it has no ODB port and I certainly don't want it washing. How much will it be without that lot"
"£140 sir."
"You really don't get it do you? Can I speak to someone who understands that I just want an oil change and a stamp in the book please?"
"They're on the phone at the moment. Can they call you back?"
20 minutes later,
"We can do that for £60 sir. Next Wednesday ok?"
"That'll be fine. Can I have a courtesy car for the day please?"
"Of course sir. See you next Wednesday."
That's more like it. I get another stamp in the book and a receipt for my file, a new car to tear round in for the day, and hopefully a short list of jobs that need attention that I can do myself at home all for £60.
-
Honestly VW are becoming as bad as call centres for reading from a script when it comes to phone calls.
Your conversation sounds like the classic, let's employ someone who can just answer phones and looks good to visiting customers, not someone who actually has a scooby about what they are talking about.
-
^^^^^^ Tell me about it, I went into my local main dealer last saturday for a can of synta silver and an oil filter for the mk2. There was a huge queue then some mechanic guy asked if he would be able to help me. He asked for the reg number, I told him it was just the universal oil filter that all dubs of that era used then gave him the reg and off he went. I waited and waited and waited, a really pretty girl went past a couple of times with a tray of hot drinks for all the people waiting in the comfy area while their cars were serviced etc. Then the mechanic comes back with another guy and they take more details then disappear again for a while. Then the mechanic guy comes back and says the parts guy is just sorting out my parts. An age later he returns with my oil filter!!! I reckon it took less time for me to change the oil and filter than it did waiting to buy it!!!
What the funk is going on??? The place is all spotless with comfy sofas and free hot drinks served by a young cutie but ask them anything more technical that what range of car scent they offer come service time and they haven't got a bl00dy clue!!!
-
Oh yeah, that was another thing. The girl on the phone asked me for the reg number. I told her it was G445 R--. She paused for a moment and then asked if that was a private plate? :huh: :huh: :huh:
-
The amazing thing is that you're still going to a main for parts or servicing. Why not get it serviced somewhere competent with the car?
-
I have to say I wouldn't let any Dealer Service Agent (Muppet's) near my MK2...
It would take 'em 2 hours to find out that you can't plug in the ECU Fault Reader!!! :laugh: :laugh:
Do you really think they train the young lads to work on these old cars... I doubt It... In fact I'm sure they don't as one of the salesmen in our local dealers has a BUG and gets his mate to do the work on it!! :tongue:
-
The amazing thing is that you're still going to a main for parts or servicing. Why not get it serviced somewhere competent with the car?
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.
All I am asking them to do is the bear minimum and not touch anything else. Anything else that does need doing I can either do myself or use a local old school garage. Having said that, I've only done 314 miles in the last 12 months, so I'm guessing not too much will have worn out.
-
when i have money ill be going to Vee W services for my service, will check with them how much when i went down last time to have the PAS looking at the guy did say for a full service it would be £150 think ill have to wait till oct payday to sort that out though and check whats included
raod tax and sorting the wheel alignment w/ new wheels and tyres this month
but always use Vee W never have any probs with them good service and fair prices
-
The amazing thing is that you're still going to a main for parts or servicing. Why not get it serviced somewhere competent with the car?
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.
All I am asking them to do is the bear minimum and not touch anything else. Anything else that does need doing I can either do myself or use a local old school garage. Having said that, I've only done 314 miles in the last 12 months, so I'm guessing not too much will have worn out.
Don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to be honest, stamps in the books are great but people look for the bills and if your only have the basics done then it is not really full history.
-
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.
I respect your anal retentiveness attention to detail, but reserve the right to think you're an idiot.
I hope you're not thinking it'll add value to the 'Golf2 classic car'?
-
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.
I respect your anal retentiveness attention to detail, but reserve the right to think you're an idiot.
I hope you're not thinking it'll add value to the 'Golf2 classic car'?
Damn!
Beat me to it.
-
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.
I respect your anal retentiveness attention to detail, but reserve the right to think you're an idiot.
I hope you're not thinking it'll add value to the 'Golf2 classic car'?
Superb Quote - Just peed myself laffin at it....
Sorry OP... But it does seem a bit pointless - I would sooner spend £125.00 for a proper annual service at my local VW specialist who only deals in older VW's and owns a MK2 Valver himself...
What he don't Know about MK2's aint worth knowing!!
-
just admit you dont know how to do it yourself.
-
Jeez, give the guy a break and let him spend his 60quid as he sees fit
-
I get what you lads are saying, but on the other hand spending £150 for a full service at a specialist seems rather pointless as well as the car does hardly any miles.
As for adding value, I really don't care how much my car may or may not be worth, now or in the future as I intend to keep it for ever. It's the car I wanted 20 odd years ago, but could never afford to buy. It's best not to think of it as a car, but something nice to own. A bit like an antique piece of furniture or a painting on the wall, they serve no purpose at all, but are nice things to have.
Idiot? Maybe. I've been called a lot worse, but it's my car and I love it. :smiley:
-
I get what you lads are saying, but on the other hand spending £150 for a full service at a specialist seems rather pointless as well as the car does hardly any miles.
I get mine done by a specialist to keep the book upto date with a fully detailed reciept!! Also he know's what else to look for, to avoid problems in the future and to kepp her in tip top condition....
but it's my car and I love it. :smiley:
Respect :cool:
-
I thought i would go to the stealer to get my servicing stuff (but definately do it myself), as i was advised the parts were cheaper than G&S and better quality. Gave Reg no. and watched his eyebrows rise considerably, hmm, not sure if we can get parts that old he said... In the end i think he said he could get me three spark plugs, and he wouldnt order me an oil filter unless i bought ten of them, couldnt find the correct air filter or distributor cap, i gave up! Plus, the parts were much more expensive than what i paid when i went to the local motor factors!
Wish i had never gone in!
Incidentally, i would never go to main dealer for servicing (or anything really) as when i have been in there, even the oldest mechanic admitted he didnt have a clue, MK2 are too old for him etc... Also, my dad took in the passat (1988) and they put in the wrong spark plugs, and the car just would not run properly. And they are supposed to be the experts!
-
Who ever told you VAG parts were cheaper was a fool!!!
They are ALWAYS dearer!!! But you do get what you pay for.... I have to say that with my recent experances with after market or patten parts I will now ONLY fit VAG parts to my car unless they are NLA....
Just found out yesterday that VAG have discontinued the front brake PADS for 239mm discs.... MENTAL!!!! :shocked:
I thought i would go to the stealer to get my servicing stuff (but definately do it myself), as i was advised the parts were cheaper than G&S and better quality. Gave Reg no. and watched his eyebrows rise considerably, hmm, not sure if we can get parts that old he said... In the end i think he said he could get me three spark plugs, and he wouldnt order me an oil filter unless i bought ten of them, couldnt find the correct air filter or distributor cap, i gave up! Plus, the parts were much more expensive than what i paid when i went to the local motor factors!
Wish i had never gone in!
Incidentally, i would never go to main dealer for servicing (or anything really) as when i have been in there, even the oldest mechanic admitted he didnt have a clue, MK2 are too old for him etc... Also, my dad took in the passat (1988) and they put in the wrong spark plugs, and the car just would not run properly. And they are supposed to be the experts!
-
I have to say I wouldn't let any Dealer Service Agent (Muppet's) near my MK2...
It would take 'em 2 hours to find out that you can't plug in the ECU Fault Reader!!! :laugh: :laugh:
Ever tried to get stuff for your S2 from an audi dealership? i got some pretty classic responses from them, including asking wether it was a sports version of an a2 :undecided:
-
Yeah I have heard that before also from GSF.... The S2forum has a guy who works for TPS and is very handy to deal with as he knows them inside out...
Audi Dealers are a waste of space.... Unless you have the part numbers - Which I do as I have a copy of ETKA!!!
I have to say I wouldn't let any Dealer Service Agent (Muppet's) near my MK2...
It would take 'em 2 hours to find out that you can't plug in the ECU Fault Reader!!! :laugh: :laugh:
Ever tried to get stuff for your S2 from an audi dealership? i got some pretty classic responses from them, including asking wether it was a sports version of an a2 :undecided:
-
You boys must have some pretty shody dealers round your way.
I use South Hereford Garages, and on the whole (apart from the desk jockey) they are fairly clued up and helpfull. Parts boys have been extremely helpfull with sourcing supposedly discontinued parts. Sometimes parts have been carried over onto later models and given new part numbers, but they seem to be able to cross reference them and get me what I need.
-
You boys must have some pretty shody dealers round your way.
I use South Hereford Garages, and on the whole (apart from the desk jockey) they are fairly clued up and helpfull. Parts boys have been extremely helpfull with sourcing supposedly discontinued parts. Sometimes parts have been carried over onto later models and given new part numbers, but they seem to be able to cross reference them and get me what I need.
My Local VW dealer is Pretty Good... But Pricey... They also now have problems getting Audi parts, VW Van parts etc. As VW have told them that they are only a car dealer so can olny supply car parts.... STUPID or what... They can get me Audi parts as they also have an Audi dealership in thier group...
As for finding new part numbers its not the guys who find it... ETKA gives them all that info... Like all MK2 Front Top Mounts are all now the GTI MK3 parts... etc etc...It's not rocket science... Just press the mouse button... :tongue:
-
Despite my rant I have to disagree with those that say main dealers are generally pricey. Yeah certain things are expensive but basic service parts tend to be very reasonable. For example the 5litre can of synta silver that I bought at my local dealers last week was £12.50!!! Now that is quite a bit cheaper than it would be from GSF!!!
-
Despite my rant I have to disagree with those that say main dealers are generally pricey. Yeah certain things are expensive but basic service parts tend to be very reasonable. For example the 5litre can of synta silver that I bought at my local dealers last week was £12.50!!! Now that is quite a bit cheaper than it would be from GSF!!!
Was it the old shape can or new ones becuase I usually pay £18 for Sinta silver from dealers with trade discount?
Its upto you if you get a good service and you can afford it then do it! Its your bloody car in the end no one elses, but these days I'm not rolling in it and if I can save 60% doing it myself I will. Stamps are overated MOT certs on the other hand are more important like people have said any monkey can make potatoes stamps my child is gifted at them! :grin:
-
Despite my rant I have to disagree with those that say main dealers are generally pricey. Yeah certain things are expensive but basic service parts tend to be very reasonable. For example the 5litre can of synta silver that I bought at my local dealers last week was £12.50!!! Now that is quite a bit cheaper than it would be from GSF!!!
Was it the old shape can or new ones becuase I usually pay £18 for Sinta silver from dealers with trade discount?
New shape can, that was the first thing I noticed when I went to pick it up.
-
It is no surprise that both service and parts are variable.
You can understand the parts guys.
What year is it?
96 I think
1.6 or 1.8?
1.8 I think
is it the left hand widget or right hand widget you want?
Don't know.
Eventullay, "Next"
Me
Have you got 191 863 201E - price and availability?
They loooove me!
On first name terms - even
But I have some good guys in PARTS.
Inverse rant over! :smiley:
-
I would love to own a car with proper service history, big ups tae dubber36!!
It is no surprise that both service and parts are variable.
You can understand the parts guys.
What year is it?
96 I think
1.6 or 1.8?
1.8 I think
is it the left hand widget or right hand widget you want?
Don't know.
Eventullay, "Next"
Ha ha, bang on the money me thinks!!!!
-
Despite my rant I have to disagree with those that say main dealers are generally pricey. Yeah certain things are expensive but basic service parts tend to be very reasonable. For example the 5litre can of synta silver that I bought at my local dealers last week was £12.50!!! Now that is quite a bit cheaper than it would be from GSF!!!
This is exactly the reason i went in to see them, you arent the first one to say their service parts are cheap, i've heard it before. Just the person in the parts dept couldnt sort me out with anything decent!
-
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.
I respect your anal retentiveness attention to detail, but reserve the right to think you're an idiot.
I hope you're not thinking it'll add value to the 'Golf2 classic car'?
How the f**k can you not appreciate that in a few years someone will pay a little extra for a 30 year old golf with a service book full of dealer service stamps rather than one with just some random mot certs?
-
Easy...
The MOT's ALONG with the proper stamps and the Invoice's showing that the car has been properly looked after would mean more to me than a service book full of stamps from a main dealer JUST with an oil change every 12 months... Sorry but that means the seller has just cut corners to be anal about keeping the book stamped...
So you mean to tell me that a service book with 100% dealer stamps means that the car has been well looked after & maintained regardless of cost...I Think not..
Would you trust an 18 year old lad who has just left VW the training ground to do a PROPER service and INSPECTION on a 20 year old car (that is older than Him) and know all the faults to look for... Nahhh... Bullock's to that I want a proper mechanic and enthusiast to look after my car...
No Offence to the OP
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.
I respect your anal retentiveness attention to detail, but reserve the right to think you're an idiot.
I hope you're not thinking it'll add value to the 'Golf2 classic car'?
How the f**k can you not appreciate that in a few years someone will pay a little extra for a 30 year old golf with a service book full of dealer service stamps rather than one with just some random mot certs?
-
No offence taken fella.
We're not really comparing like with like though. I assume that you use your car, therefore it needs to be properly maintained. One day you may want to sell it and potential buyers will appreciate your full folder of receipits.
Mine on the other hand hardly ever goes out and probably never will. As I never intend to sell it, it dosn't matter one jot what other people may think about my maintainence history.
-
Yeah she's my daily drive.... I Just love driving her...
What i don't understand is why you only a few 100 miles a year in yours... What's the point in having her unless you get some fun in owning her... A couple of thousand mile's a year is bound to do her more good than, sat around and not used for months...
-
Investment opportunity ?, a wise person said dont invest in something that needs fixing or feeding :nerd:
I havnt drove my car in a bout 2 months and when its fixed im gonna drive it to Scotland and back !! its doing my head in lol
Maybe on just everyday cars a full main dealer service record would help you sell it, but in ten years times mainly just enthusiast will by the mk2 and will not pay more for main dealer stamped book, unless they're a donut.
-
In fairness I would be happier to hand over my cash for a car that does have a Full Service History, not necessarily a VW one, as long as it has all the MOT's & Receipts to back it up...
I keep a copy of every receipt for every nut and bolt I buy, and stick it in a folder, not to increase the value as such - but just to give the car some serious history and that I'm anal too!!!
I have just forked out £500.00 (G60 Shocks, Front & Rear Discs, Pads, Rear Bearings, Rear Caliper Carriers, CV Boot Kit Etc) on bits for her from VW and a copy of the bill is already in the folder.. I will attach the mechanics bill to that when I get it, and then it also ties up when the items were in fact fitted!!
-
Yeah she's my daily drive.... I Just love driving her...
What i don't understand is why you only a few 100 miles a year in yours... What's the point in having her unless you get some fun in owning her... A couple of thousand mile's a year is bound to do her more good than, sat around and not used for months...
I had a scruffy one a couple of years ago and did 5-6000 miles a year in it, in all weathers. It kept the mileage off my daily car and was great fun. I didn't even mind leaving it in a supermarket car park.
I bought my current car with all good intention of doing the same, but since having some cosmetic paint and many hours detailing, I like to see it at it's best all the time and I guess to me that's the fun of owning it. Besides, it's not eating any grass so it may as well stay where it is.