GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Haribo! on 15 September 2010, 18:40
-
ok Just got my electric window loom in the post, it was sent separate from the mechs etc cause the guy forgot them.
Now, ive installed these before but everything was left plugged into things so it was easier. This time I see no relay and I have this mess to suss out...
(http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5210/img00035201009151833.jpg)
Can anyone shed some light on how this is supposed to work? Or if anythings missing or if I should start a fresh loom somehow? or anything cause my head hurts :(
I searched and found a topic that about making your own loom but that image is no longer hosted, I woul draher use my current one if its usable tho..
-
That looks like a retrofitted custom-made loom - very similar to the one I've just replaced in my car.
It is probably one that was made following the guide in the link.
A genuine loom has a proper connector for each motor, and proper connectors for switches, along with a flat fuse near the fusebox and a relay near the switches.
It should be possible to work out how to fit it to the car - it needs an earth and an ignition live feed. Do a search for how the switches are wired up - the loom will feed to one switch, and then pass through from that to the other.
If you find it a little confusing to work out (don't worry, you wouldn't be alone...) hold out for an original VW loom.
-
right ok, il have another look, the bloody things pissing me off tho
-
Your welcome to Sorting that lot out!! :tongue:
-
Ok done it, well half of it, passenger window can wait until the sun shows itself again. :D
-
What confuses me now is if you can make a loom like the one I have without a relay that works fine... what did the relay do?
-
what did the relay do?
Separates high current from low current circuits.
-
what did the relay do?
Separates high current from low current circuits.
is that necessary? is it unwise to not have one or is it fine?
-
The risk is sparking/fire/damage on the contacts in the switch.
-
hmm, I think it would probably be a good idea to get me a relay then :D
Any idea what one it is? is it something I can pick up from like maplin or do i need to find an original one?
-
I'm going to go and kill myself, hopefully someone else can help in my absence ... (http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:D_KaU0UynfRMZM:http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/ashproctor/emoticons/head-against-wall.gif&t=1)
-
I'm going to go and kill myself, hopefully someone else can help in my absence ... (http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:D_KaU0UynfRMZM:http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/ashproctor/emoticons/head-against-wall.gif&t=1)
oh come on, what was bad about that question? the answer isnt obvious
-
I know its hard, but one day you will have to face the fact that not everyone knows this stuff :laugh:
-
Hi.
Imagine a relay as a double switch. A small current from a dash switch for example, will switch the relay, which will then allow a large current to pass to whatever needs switching on.
If you look in the fusebox of your car you will see a few boxes, above the fuses, about an inch square of various colours. These are relays.
You probably can get them from maplins, and any other host of sources. Best bet would be a motor factors.
Good luck with that loom tho!!
-
Hi.
Imagine a relay as a double switch. A small current from a dash switch for example, will switch the relay, which will then allow a large current to pass to whatever needs switching on.
If you look in the fusebox of your car you will see a few boxes, above the fuses, about an inch square of various colours. These are relays.
You probably can get them from maplins, and any other host of sources. Best bet would be a motor factors.
Good luck with that loom tho!!
Ah cheers dude, thats makes more sense, :)
Loom is pretty much sorted, and it works, I just need to put that relay into the mix and its smooth sailin..for a while :)
-
Ha ha, aye until motors start dying and sticking and jamming, and generally not motorin!!
-
go scrap yard and pillage bosch rellays, maplin automotive relays are sh!te, and so are those sold in most motorfactors
-
all the current for the windows passes thru the switches either way, the relay isnt there to reduce the load thru the switches. its there to prevent a high load being drawn thru the ignition live feed on your fusebox.
believe me it is necessary. I wired up my old driver without a relay due to my brand new kit not coming with one. it was fine for a couple of weeks then one of my fuses blew when it overheated due to too much current being passed thru it. you need a 30a fuse for the windows see, the ign live feeds are generally 10 or 15a.
-
Ah cool, I've done it now, I think I've done it right, we'll see how long it lasts :D