GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: jmsheahan on 14 September 2010, 11:57
-
I need to get my windscreen replaced, which I think is the original and am unsure what glass I have - can anyone help me out? Does anyone happen to know what type of glass 90 spec mk2 GTI's came with from the factory? I don't think it's green glass, just looks darker than clear and is stamped 'tinted'. I've yet to go to VW, but BBT only stock clear and green glass. What colour is mine?
In addition, will I need to replace the windscreen seal or can I get away with reusing the old one?
Thanks :smiley:
Probably the best pic I have of the screen without harsh sunlight on it:
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/jmsheahan_44/Photo0057.jpg)
-
In addition, will I need to replace the windscreen seal or can I get away with reusing the old one?
Unless there is something wrong with it, you should be fine. Remember national windscreens - £86+VAT for a Pilkington screen :)
-
Cheers Ben. I shall be ringing them but I just wanted to clue myself up on screens before ringing. Want to make sure I don't get fobbed off with a clear one :smiley:
Seriously annoyed after getting the other chip repaired, I got another crack that's completely mangled the screen. 2 in less than a week! :angry:
I'm guessing it's not the green glass then.
-
As far as I know Jim the Rallyes and G60 had bonded green tinted windows which are obsolite now, so in hindsight 16V 8Vers ahould be striaght forward seal strip around and plonking it in, no bonded needed I think?
I had a bad screen..... made it worse somehow :rolleyes: so got the job done thorugh insurance paid excess of £50 for a £200 windscreen in the end LOL!!! :wink:
Jay
-
AFAIK all GTI's came with green tint no? All mine have been.
nick
-
AFAIK all GTI's came with green tint no? All mine have been.
nick
All GTIs had green tint since my car onwards. sure of it..
-
AFAIK all GTI's came with green tint no? All mine have been.
nick
My Rallyes had a very green tint on it Nick, compared to the GTi's but the bonded and non bonded seperates them for sure!
-
so the answer is a normal non-bonded GREEN tinted winscreen for your car. :wink:
-
Cheers guys, help appreciated. Will be making some inquiries.
-
My original GTi screen was non-tint (and so was my new one).
-
Mine definitely has tinted stamped in the corner.
-
Green tint is the only one available afaik, however there is a choice of what Top tint you may want, if you want to bother, If it was me, I would go for a blue top tint on a red car.
Thom
-
Thanks for the advice :smiley:
Good shout on national windscreens. £70 for a new green tint screen fitted this morning. Bargain :smiley:
-
I was under the impression that 8v gti's didn't have green tint.
If you have any decent scrappies around, have a look in there! All my windscreens have been from the scrappys or friends breaking mk2s and I've had perfect ones every time! Really easy to fit yourself. I took my windscreen out myself, stuck the seal on the new windscreen, got it in place, etc. then just asked my neighbour to push down on it from the outside while I popped the seal in. Piece of p!ss with two blunt breadknives!
-
Good shout on national windscreens. £70 for a new green tint screen fitted this morning. Bargain :smiley:
I know! When I was hunting around I called Autoglass - and they wanted £300! National windscreens were miles cheaper and really decent guys.
-
wasnt there a full blue tint on some earlier gti's? :undecided:
-
I'm sure blue and green were available Dan, my mate who supplied my new screen 18 months ago, demonstrated that my new screen was a bluey/greeny tint, by holding a white peice of paper under it, in other words one tint does all :smiley: only option was the top tint colour, green or blue
From new there was also a third option, though what it was called escapes me at the moment, but it had a highly reflective, chrome like tint to it... dare I say "Rare" :evil:
Thom
-
Chromalux.
Nick
-
Thats the one! :grin: :grin: nice one Nick.. I nearly had a set off ebay a couple of years ago, they made nearly £400 iirc, just too much money at the time, and needed to be collected from Devon somewhere, so gave it a miss, sort of regret it now :rolleyes:
Thom
-
I think Lewy off here had the last few pieces VW had a couple of years ago. Chromalux Happich pop outs, now that's some rare MKII glass!
nick
-
not all 8v gti had tinted glass, mine didnt. if your glass says 'tinted' its green tint. can get em with a blue top tint too. phone your dealer, you might be surprised at how cheap the glass is from them
-
Green tint windscreen from VW is £101 inc VAT. Green tint with blue strip is unavailable from VW, but National Windscreens can get one from Pilkington for £102 + VAT. National obviously includes fitting.
-
can still get the top tint glass according to my copy of etos which i did a price update on this morning:
191 845 101 - clear - 86.55+VAT
191 845 101 A - green tint - 86.55+VAT
191 845 101 H - green tint with colour strip - 110.87+VAT
-
Cheers guys, thanks for the help. Good to know it's not too pricey from the dealer.
Like I say, I now have a pilkington screen fitted from national for £70.
Slight tangent but have been looking at Lupo's for the misses the past couple of days and notice all of their glass is stamped pilkington with the VW logo. Do these guys just make the glass for VW?