GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: lingl9z on 12 September 2010, 19:03
-
Hi all, going to get a compression test done in a week or two when I get time to see if it's my stem seals that are deffo the problem and not the rings!
However if it is the rings I think It might be worth me getting an engine (with warrenty) and getting that fitted.
Any Idea how much it'll cost for someone to remove and refit an identical engine?
Cheers
Rich.
-
Hi all, going to get a compression test done in a week or two when I get time to see if it's my stem seals that are deffo the problem and not the rings!
However if it is the rings I think It might be worth me getting an engine (with warrenty) and getting that fitted.
Any Idea how much it'll cost for someone to remove and refit an identical engine?
Cheers
Rich.
Most places charge £500-1000, but its a 1/2 day DIY job with 2 people - not many special tools required, just the XYZ triple square for the driveshafts.
-
Wow that's quiet a bit lol! Guess I will find someone to try and tackle it with (should it be the piston rings)
Cheers for the reply mate!
-
What would you reccomend replacing when swapping an engine?
timing belt kit
water pump
oil pump?
anything else? =]
-
Depends on what you are swapping exactly and the source of the engine.
If you are only buying a block - you just swap everything off your current block.
If you are buying a complete engine, I'd fit it and make sure it runs, then all I'd replace is oil, filter + belts.
-
Cheers for that mate sounds good to me!
-
I agree with Ben: oil, filter, and belts. Also the cambelt tensioner. :afro:
(I really should take my own advice one of these days :grin: )
An engine swap can be done in 1/2 a day on the driveway with a mate, but only if you've done it before and nothing goes wrong I reckon.
Of course, things like exhaust manifold nuts and engine mount alignment can be a b!tch, so I would allow a good weekend. :wink:
An engine crane would be useful if you can borrow one, but if not, multiple jacks and straps should do so long as you have a helper or two.
-
Thanks for the reply buddy, I guess before I do anything I'll soak all nuts/bolts that will need to be removed in heaps of WD40 =]
-
Thanks for the reply buddy, I guess before I do anything I'll soak all nuts/bolts that will need to be removed in heaps of WD40 =]
Don't bother soaking any bolts in WD40 - you'll only be making the bolt head wet, nothing else.
The only thing worth spraying is exposed threads on studs - of which there aren't many.
-
Duely noted! :)
-
mk2 engine swaps can be anything from 3 - 24 man hours. depending on general condition of the bolts your undoing, and what else needs to be replaced on or swaped over to the new engine and any teething problems with the "new" motor
my usual min parts list is
cambelt, cambelt tensoner, aux belt, thermostat, oil, oil filter, antifreeze, plastic water flanges, plugs.
recomended list adds. waterpump , clutch, cranck end seal and cranck sensor ( if abf )
-
Cheers for that mate, my timing belt/water pump is only a month or 2 old so figure I can get away with using them?
:)
-
Plus gas helped alot in removing old rusted nuts etc when removing my exhaust manifold. get it from amazon for about a tenner. (saying that i did end up grinding the downpipe out to remove it!!)
-
Cheers for that mate, my timing belt/water pump is only a month or 2 old so figure I can get away with using them?
:)
Water pump will be fine.
Once the timing belt has been removed/un-tensioned it should be replaced.
-
Cheers will add new timing belt kit and plus gas to the list (should the compression test tell me it's a ring!) although I have been told a few times that valve stem seals are pretty common on these! =]
-
Stem seals are more likely than rings, but a wet compression test should give you an indication.
-
I'll be extremely happy if it is just the stem seals, if not then the rings have been screwed since I bought it !
-
Sorry to hijack, but how much would it cost to completely rebuild an engine, yourself? or is there maching work involved?
Mines on unknown mileage but was bought at 100k ex put 30k on that so must be about 140k on a 9a? Are they as strong as the krs?
-
Sorry to hijack, but how much would it cost to completely rebuild an engine, yourself? or is there maching work involved?
That depends on what you consider as being part of a rebuild, what tools you own, where you buy the parts and ultimately, who you know ;)
A rebuild could just be the essentials, rings, shells, valve guides and seals.
... Or it could be crank lightening, knife-edging and balancing, flywheel lightening and balancing, bore re-hone, rings, shells, big ends, crank seal, head gasket, head bolts, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, crank seal, valve guides, stem seals, valves, tappets, valve springs, spring seats, valve grind, head skim, rocker seal, sump seal, oil pump pickup, timing belt, tensioner .... yada yada yada.
The rebuild cost is what you want it to be, £10 - £100,000 :)
-
No worries buddy, these things are always good to know! If I ended up rebuilding I'd end up forging it and maybe charge it, but then I don't have that kind of money :(
-
Done your compresson testing yet fella?
:rolleyes:
-
haha i get the picture, but it would just be renewing the stuff that wears down after 140k miles, Ill concentrate on my career and hopefully be able to knife edge the hell out of my engine!!
-
Done your compresson testing yet fella?
:rolleyes:
Not had a chance at the minute buddy! running round work etc - Halfords was out of compression testers :( anyone local to me that has a compression tester and fancy;s doing it for me? (none of the garages round here do it... :S )
-
Where is "local to you" ...
-
I guess that would help, I'm in the Croydon/Wallington Area!
Rich.
-
Rich didnt check the bay for one?
I had a look around for my old one and couldnt find it someone borrowed it and never gave it back!
£18 looks like a good one or get other members to share the costs if they want to borrow it after your done :wink:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Am-Tech-Petrol-Engine-Compression-Tester-Kit-NEW-_W0QQitemZ280488016702QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=139870806297&rvr_id=139870806297&cguid=10665a0212b0a0aad4e60526fff695b9 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Am-Tech-Petrol-Engine-Compression-Tester-Kit-NEW-_W0QQitemZ280488016702QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=139870806297&rvr_id=139870806297&cguid=10665a0212b0a0aad4e60526fff695b9)
-
Cheers buddy, I'll order that up when my parents are back and get it delievered to their house since noones ever at my house and would miss the delivery!
Cheers again buddy!