GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Reasty on 30 August 2010, 12:09

Title: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Reasty on 30 August 2010, 12:09
I need to take my end cap off of my gearbox to replace the thrust bearing (which I already have) but have been advised that once the cap is removed it cannot be used again so I need to buy a new one,does anyone know where I can get one as I'm having no luck finding one so far.
It's a 1990 16v with a o2y box with green cap.
Any help would be much appriciated  :smiley:

Cheers
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Neo Badness on 30 August 2010, 12:48
I'm not a 100%, but iirc reading somewhere that people have people have reused them successfully?

Have you tried brokevw? or missing linkz?

 
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: raferackstraw on 30 August 2010, 14:52
broke vw advises a new one, try tes engines in darenth they rebuild gboxes so should be able to supply the cap
http://www.theengineshop.info/ (http://www.theengineshop.info/)
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Reasty on 30 August 2010, 15:25
Cheers lads,will look into it  :smiley:
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Bigdunc on 30 August 2010, 15:27
I seen them on ebay
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Carnie on 30 August 2010, 19:38
Theyre like £4 from the dealers as i got one a few weeks ago,its near impossible to reuse it and not worth the risk as it needs to be a perfect fit or itll leak.
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Wayne on 30 August 2010, 20:53
As above, pick up a genuine one.
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Neo Badness on 31 August 2010, 10:29
Theyre like £4 from the dealers as i got one a few weeks ago,its near impossible to reuse it and not worth the risk as it needs to be a perfect fit or itll leak.

Cool, got a part number?
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: rubjonny on 31 August 2010, 10:36
gsf sell em too, work just fine bought loads of em over the years:
193VG0110 Gearbox end plate      £  3.25

or if you want vw one:
020 141 073 A - 5.17+VAT
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Reasty on 31 August 2010, 12:33
All sorted! Picked one up this morning from my local vw dealers,was £6  :smiley: just hope replacing the thrust bearing sorts the problem out now!
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Reasty on 01 September 2010, 20:19
I'm goin to change the throw out bearing tmmorow now I have all the bits,I've read the guide on the brokevw site and it all sounds pretty straight forward and simple enough,has anyone already changed there throw out (thrust) bearing and can confirm it's easy to do,I'm pretty handy with a spanner but in no means a wizzard!  :grin:
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Neo Badness on 01 September 2010, 21:52


For your benifit, though I have never done this, i will say it is as easy as falling off a log :smiley:

Good luck and kudos for getting stuck in. Wish I was changing thrust bearings rather than going to stupid work :sad:
 Let us know how you get on.

Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Reasty on 01 September 2010, 22:25


For your benifit, though I have never done this, i will say it is as easy as falling off a log :smiley:

Good luck and kudos for getting stuck in. Wish I was changing thrust bearings rather than going to stupid work :sad:
 Let us know how you get on.



Will do bud! and im gonna do it when i get back from work,id like nothing more than to mess about with dubs all day  :cool:
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: GTi_Lee on 03 September 2010, 11:44
Sorry to hijack but could someone put a picture of this cap up please? Is this the cap that fits in the hole above the flywheel? I'm looking to replace this cap but not sure what to ask for, or whether this is what you're discussing.
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Reasty on 03 September 2010, 18:33
The one you want is not the cap we are talking about,the cap you need is the timing cover.
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Neo Badness on 04 September 2010, 18:01
How'd you get on then bud?

Thrust bearing sorted?
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Reasty on 04 September 2010, 18:28
yep all done matey! and problem cured. :cool: check out my write up i did in the maintenance section!  :wink: when i pulled the little bugger out it literally fell into 3 pieces  :shocked:
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Neo Badness on 04 September 2010, 18:37
yep all done matey! and problem cured. :cool: check out my write up i did in the maintenance section!  :wink: when i pulled the little bugger out it literally fell into 3 pieces  :shocked:

Yikes, just as well it it did that on the ground than in the 'box. Good job though. Will have a look at your write up tomorrow. Away out in wee bit so will save it for when I'm feeling sorry for myself on the couch on sunday afternoon :wink:
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Reasty on 04 September 2010, 18:42
yep all done matey! and problem cured. :cool: check out my write up i did in the maintenance section!  :wink: when i pulled the little bugger out it literally fell into 3 pieces  :shocked:

Yikes, just as well it it did that on the ground than in the 'box. Good job though. Will have a look at your write up tomorrow. Away out in wee bit so will save it for when I'm feeling sorry for myself on the couch on sunday afternoon :wink:

 :laugh: have a good one mate,im having a night in tonight as im up at the crack of dawn tommorow for Edition 38,its a 2 hour drive so think ill go in my mk3  :grin: :smiley:
Title: Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
Post by: Neo Badness on 05 September 2010, 15:17
My poor brain... :grin:

Was good though. Mates are going down to Ed38. I still haven't made it to a major show in my life :sad:
Sure I'll get the update when they get back but did go and see the Touring car to cheer myself up :cool:

Hope you had a good time at ED38, good write up by the way on thrust bearings and that :smiley: