GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Jimp on 19 July 2010, 16:43

Title: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: Jimp on 19 July 2010, 16:43
As much as I love all things mk3, I've been very very tempted by a mk2 lately. They look too damn good, even as stock  :grin: I'd be looking at selling the Vento and getting a 1.3 or 1.6 driver since I can't afford the tax on a GTI. I have a few questions though:
What non-cosmetic differences are there between 80s and 90s spec? I saw wiring differences mentioned in another thread and wanted to ask since I thought there were only cosmetic differences.
Was ABS only available on GTI models?
I've seen threads mentioning wide track conversions. What is this? I gather it's something to do with wider subframes than normal. What are the benefits or downsides of this?
How are mk2s for rust? Any commonly rusted spots? Are they are bad as mk3s for rust?  :grin: :wink:
If I think of any more questions I'll keep them in this thread.
Thanks in advance  :smiley:
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: Agreeable Slick on 19 July 2010, 18:34
I'll keep this open for now, but please use the search function.
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: cняis on 19 July 2010, 19:12
 :nerd:

ealry mk2s had more slats on the front grill plus static quarter glass in the front doors. These changed to full wind down windows in about 86. Also the wing mirrors moved further down the door.

90 spec GTIs got big bumpers, side skirts and thinner bump strips on the doors. Drivers stayed the same as their pre-90 counterparts.

90 spec wiring affected all models. easy way to tell is the position of the hazard switch. on dash = CE1 early type. On steering column = CE2 (later wiring)

90 spec front seats are slightly different design too (the bolsters are a different shape IIRC)

No models had ABS as standard IIRC, nor PAS/elec windows/central locking etc

WIdetrack is usually acheived by using a mk3 front subframe inc the brakes and hubs (5 stud conversion if taken from a mk3GTI or VR6). The rear subframe can also be used for a slightly wider rear.

Mk2s dont often have rust issues but common places are around the fuel filler cap, rear boot plinth (behind the number plate) and under the rear bumper. I have seen mk2s with really rusty sills so check under there aswell. But usually they dont rust anywhere near as badly as the mk3!!
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: rubjonny on 20 July 2010, 10:02
widetrack comes from using mk3 or passat wishbones, the subframe isnt actually wider ;)
you can go widetrack in 4 or 5 stud, use the right bearing carrier setup and match the wishbones to suit. not all mk3 rear beams are wider, it seems its only the early 4 strud ones that are, later 4 stud and 5stud are about the same. good faq thread on this on cgti
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: Jimp on 20 July 2010, 19:13
Thanks for the info :afro: Apologies Slick, I'll search harder next time  :embarassed:
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: dan_apps on 22 July 2010, 22:21

Mk2s dont often have rust issues


:lipsrsealed:

and ABS!!! crikey jimp ur hoping matey! :grin:

Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: cняis on 23 July 2010, 00:33

Mk2s dont often have rust issues


:lipsrsealed:

and ABS!!! crikey jimp ur hoping matey! :grin:



abs is for wimps who cant drive. as with air bags.  :rolleyes:
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: bodga on 23 July 2010, 08:04


abs is for wimps who cant drive. as with air bags.  :rolleyes:
[/quote]

 :grin: i dont take mine out if its raining because of this, my right foot is too heavy :laugh:
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: Jimp on 23 July 2010, 18:02
Yeah I was a bit hopeful with the ABS  :grin: My Vento doesn't have ABS but mk3 GTIs got it so was wondering if mk2s were the same, standard on GTIs but optional on other models.
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: Alec on 23 July 2010, 18:11
Don't G60 mk2's have ABS?

If you look hard enough man you will find a mk2 with no rust, majority of rust on mk2's seems to be cosmetic but obviously it depends how much they have been looked after.
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: dan_apps on 23 July 2010, 19:08

Mk2s dont often have rust issues


:lipsrsealed:

and ABS!!! crikey jimp ur hoping matey! :grin:



abs is for wimps who cant drive. as with air bags.  :rolleyes:

next he will be asking for power steering that actually works properly! :grin:
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: Jimp on 23 July 2010, 23:27
All I want is a 3 door mk2 driver that's not black or red or a rolling rust-can. Which is a lot to ask for in Ireland  :grin: Seen plenty online in the UK but can't justify the extra cost in importing. I'll be sitting here waiting  :wink:
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: CHRIS_MC on 24 July 2010, 00:37
make me an offer :lipsrsealed:

(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs094.ash2/38031_413994981827_684076827_5189445_5671595_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: X4MGS on 24 July 2010, 01:52
make me an offer :lipsrsealed:

(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs094.ash2/38031_413994981827_684076827_5189445_5671595_n.jpg)

WTF is that rear spoiler???
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: Simeon on 24 July 2010, 10:11
... getting a 1.3 or 1.6 driver since I can't afford the tax on a GTI.

The tax on a 1.6 is the same as on a gti mate - £205
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: CHRIS_MC on 24 July 2010, 10:21
Quote

WTF is that rear spoiler???

U no like? It's a 2 slat Hella, with brake light, gonna properly fit it on Sunday, just waiting for the clear coat to cure a bit
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: Jimp on 24 July 2010, 15:21
... getting a 1.3 or 1.6 driver since I can't afford the tax on a GTI.

The tax on a 1.6 is the same as on a gti mate - £205
I live in Ireland mate, where the tax is much much higher. My 1.4 cars cost €94 a quarter to tax, that's €376 a year, which is about £315  :lipsrsealed: For comaprison, a 2.0 GTI would cost me €221 a quarter  :lipsrsealed: That's unaffordable for me, even with the project car only on the road for half the year.
That is a sweet looking mk2 Chris_Mc but as I said, can't import from England. It would be noticeably more expensive than waiting it out for an Irish car since I'd have to pay an extra €560 in tax the second it landed in the country, which is a good 30-50% loading on the price of waiting for one here, even if you ignore the expense of the trip to the UK.  :cry:
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: X4MGS on 25 July 2010, 02:56
Sorry but NO in a word... :wink:

But Each to his own.... :lipsrsealed:

Quote

WTF is that rear spoiler???

U no like? It's a 2 slat Hella, with brake light, gonna properly fit it on Sunday, just waiting for the clear coat to cure a bit
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: dan_apps on 25 July 2010, 11:59

WTF is that rear spoiler???

spare part of the space shuttle Atlantis? :grin: :tongue:
Title: Re: Some mk2 Questions
Post by: Neo Badness on 25 July 2010, 21:40
iirc G60/Rallyes had ABS, proper rocking horse poo though.