GolfGTIforum.co.uk

General => The garage => Topic started by: Mr.Tom on 21 August 2009, 22:24

Title: Odd little key switch under dash.
Post by: Mr.Tom on 21 August 2009, 22:24
I just found a small electrical key switch under my dash, right next to the hood release. Just to the right of the fuse box cover. It is a little black cover that closes over one of those round type keys. Much like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2449 (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2449)

The wires are wrapped with the same tape as the alarm bits that are trailing all over the place.
The alarm that it seems to be attached to is a non functioning Scorpion 915.

Could it be the reason the alarm doesn't work? Or some kind of valet key? There are 5 or 6 wires attached to it, one of which just terminates about 6 inches from the lock/switch. Just a bare wire too :/

I havn't worked out whether it is on or off yet, but son't want to go poking it until I get a better idea of what it does :D
Title: Re: Odd little key switch under dash.
Post by: Wayne on 22 August 2009, 00:07
That would be an override key.
Title: Re: Odd little key switch under dash.
Post by: Mr.Tom on 22 August 2009, 08:10
So what would likely happen if I switched it to the other position?
Title: Re: Odd little key switch under dash.
Post by: Wayne on 22 August 2009, 09:15
So what would likely happen if I switched it to the other position?

The alarm should work
Title: Re: Odd little key switch under dash.
Post by: Mr.Tom on 23 August 2009, 00:57
Yeah, okay. So that was logical :)
I'm guessing that if anything did go wrong, switching it back would sort the problem. Perhaps I shall give it a go tomorrow.
Title: Re: Odd little key switch under dash.
Post by: Wayne on 23 August 2009, 16:32
Yeah, okay. So that was logical :)
I'm guessing that if anything did go wrong, switching it back would sort the problem. Perhaps I shall give it a go tomorrow.

Yes it would do.