GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk4 => Topic started by: Wazzzer on 19 August 2009, 18:49

Title: B&M short shifter?
Post by: Wazzzer on 19 August 2009, 18:49
Has anyone fitted the above? I'm stumped as to how it all goes together at the mo, the fitting instructions on their website are total sh!te with blurry photos that really aren't helping...
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: richw911 on 19 August 2009, 19:03
Dont know if this is any help bud:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/3g/howto/3gbmshifter-instructions.htm

 :undecided:
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: Wazzzer on 19 August 2009, 19:19
that's sort of how far I've got Rich, just trying to work out how this reverse lock out operates, guess I'll have to wait until it's being fitted to find out lol

Cheers for the link though

Check out how bad these photos are http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/installation_instruction/23.pdf
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: Ivor Mk4 Turbo on 19 August 2009, 19:58
That doesn't look too bad, mate.  I think it'll be a hell of a lot more obvious when you're actually taking it all apart.  :afro:

(I've seen worse instructions than that, lol!).  :D
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: Wazzzer on 19 August 2009, 21:54
I think I've just had a eureka moment...

This shifter looks like it changes the reverse select from push down to pull up...
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: Dalo Harkin on 20 August 2009, 08:44
Still have doubts about short shifters - when I used to be mad into minis they were always a no no and I maintain that on EVERY car
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: Rhyso on 20 August 2009, 08:48
Still have doubts about short shifters - when I used to be mad into minis they were always a no no and I maintain that on EVERY car

you can retro-fit the short shifts from the MK1 Audi TT - not a great reduction in throw but it retains all the OEM functionality  :smiley:

they're about £25
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: Wazzzer on 20 August 2009, 16:54
already got one of them Rhys  :grin:

Still have doubts about short shifters - when I used to be mad into minis they were always a no no and I maintain that on EVERY car

why do you say that mate? This one replaces the whole gear lever and pivot rather than just shortening a standard lever like most do
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: Dalo Harkin on 20 August 2009, 17:43
already got one of them Rhys  :grin:

Still have doubts about short shifters - when I used to be mad into minis they were always a no no and I maintain that on EVERY car

why do you say that mate? This one replaces the whole gear lever and pivot rather than just shortening a standard lever like most do

My mate had one fitted to his mini - 6 months later a new gearbox was needed and it was always said by everyone that had a mini to stay away from them - may have changed now though
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: tg1 on 20 August 2009, 18:46
i had one on my civic and that was fine. and it was a 15 quid ebay special

@ wazzer is it worth getting the tt shifter? and is it something a spanner like me could fit?
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: richw911 on 20 August 2009, 19:28

@ wazzer is it worth getting the tt shifter? and is it something a spanner like me could fit?

Easy job  :wink:
Title: Re: B&M short shifter?
Post by: Wazzzer on 20 August 2009, 20:07
yes mate, 10 minute job. All you've got to worry about really is adjusting the gear shift cable afterwards but it's only shortening or lengthening it so you can't go wrong