GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: mk3valver on 28 April 2009, 13:34

Title: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: mk3valver on 28 April 2009, 13:34
I read somewhere on here the other day that the ideal oil temp for my mk3 Gti was 80oC. I was out for an hour today and noticed that mine was running at 90oC oil and 70oC on the dash (whatever that is, air?) I have no warning light's on or anything, is this dangerous for my engine and if so what can i do to fix it?

Thank's, Matt
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: Mikester on 28 April 2009, 13:37
My oil runs are 90degrees when in traffic, or driving about at 30mph. And the water temp on the dash is at half way.

When driving at 70mph, the oil temp goes down a bit slowly, as does the water temp.

When you car gets hot, does the Rad fan kick in?
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: mk3valver on 28 April 2009, 13:44
Yeah it does, it's sometimes running for ages after I've turned it off. Last week when the sun was out and it was hot I put the bonnet up so it cooled down quicker cos it was on for so long!
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: Wayne on 28 April 2009, 13:53
My 8v was always around 95 to be honest.
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: DrewGTI on 28 April 2009, 17:22
Yeah it does, it's sometimes running for ages after I've turned it off. Last week when the sun was out and it was hot I put the bonnet up so it cooled down quicker cos it was on for so long!



shouldn't the fan stop once the car has stopped running?  :huh:
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: Khare on 28 April 2009, 18:47
my 8v runs at about 88-90 on normla driving, about 92-94 on spirited drivng, and about 98-100 on motorway fast driving.
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: spunkymonkey on 28 April 2009, 19:26
My 8v was always around 95 to be honest.

same here  :smiley:
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: mk3valver on 28 April 2009, 19:35
oh good I was getting worried!   
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: boneybradley on 28 April 2009, 19:52
I had mine at 120 once  :shocked:
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: Mikester on 28 April 2009, 20:14
Yeah it does, it's sometimes running for ages after I've turned it off. Last week when the sun was out and it was hot I put the bonnet up so it cooled down quicker cos it was on for so long!



shouldn't the fan stop once the car has stopped running?  :huh:

Not if its hot it wont.
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: Len on 28 April 2009, 20:27
I had mine at 120 once  :shocked:

Same here!


My fan usually either runs on after stopping or sometimes comes on after. Like in the garage I can switch off get out and shut the doors and it kicks in.
Have found that happening with several cars so its all normal.
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: ace on 28 April 2009, 20:45
ny vr is normally on around 96, the fan always stays on after the car has been switched off
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: Khare on 28 April 2009, 21:31
80% of the time my fan stays on after switching ignition off too. Perfectly normal.
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: boneybradley on 28 April 2009, 21:33
my fan turned off after 30 seconds thanks to my immobiliser!! but on my old old gti it stayed on for a while
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: Khare on 28 April 2009, 21:41
mine stays on for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: DrewGTI on 28 April 2009, 21:48
yeah. . mine would stay on for a little bit on hot days but not on and on and on for ages that i'd need to lift my bonnet to cool it down too!


"Hi. . heres your new shiny Golf GTI sir, if it gets too hot under the hood just pop the bonnet to cool it down while you go for a beer in the pub!"  :grin: :rolleyes:



My Fan did used to stay on for aaaaages!!! which used to drain the battery, until i fixed it.  :smiley:
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: mk3valver on 28 April 2009, 21:54
Right I'm glad you've said that, I was just gonna post that mine sometimes stay's on for a good 6/7 minutes and it cant be good for the battery! What can I do and if i do it does that mean that it's not cooling properly?  Mmmm confused!!!???
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: DrewGTI on 28 April 2009, 22:39
Well. . mine used to come on and stay on for ages! sometimes go off and be fine! or other times come to car in the morning and totally dead! changed the sensor in the rad to the right twice! first with a used part and second with a brand new part. . also cut off the plug and re-wired with new ones. . still no luck.



turns out it was a fan control unit which is screwed under the water bottle (small black box) it had rusted etc as well as the plug so got a new one from the breakers(same part number too) for a tenner with the plug, swapped the black box, cut off old plug and wired new one up. sorted!  :smiley:
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: mk3valver on 29 April 2009, 12:58
Right, mine's not killed the battery yet and hopefully wont! But if it does I'll be dropping you a line! :wink:
Title: Re: Running temp? Mk3 golf......
Post by: Mikester on 29 April 2009, 13:09
pull the fuse out, but it will take away full beam on one headlight too! haha.

(dont recomend this)